Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used the new chargers at M4 Chieveley twice yesterday, on my Cardiff-Windsor-Cardiff trip.

I arrived expecting to use the app (having checked it worked fine for me 48hrs previously) to find the app's been updated, and now tells you the only way to pay is via contactless with a card - no problem. So 30p/kwh on the card - plug in, tap, start charging; press stop, unplug and go.

Downside of not being able to operate via the app - you cannot see how the charge is advancing, while sitting having a coffee in the services.

New machines easy to use. Two units, one has chademo/CCS, the other has two CCS cables.

Advertised charging speed up to 120Kw. On both occasions, even when the only vehicle drawing power, my Peugeot e2008 would not charge faster than around 1kw/min (I understand it should be able to achieve 100Kw).

Biggest issue is the layout. Two parking spaces, for the two machines, which are quite close together. Not a problem for my first visit, there was a Leaf on one unit, I took the other free one.

Second visit, an iPace on one machine, i3 on the other, but no physical way I could access another spare charging cable, unless I went off road and drove up the kerb and on the pavement behind the units. As the BMW was at 89%, I waited a couple of minutes until they set off, and took their spot.

While still charging, an eTron turned up. The iPace stopped charging, but had malfunctioned mid charge and its driver could not move it, so called recovery. Then a Merc EQC turned up. I vacated my spot for the eTron - for whom the cables were not long enough if he parked straight - and suggested to the EQC driver he might have to try the "on the pavement" route, if he wanted a charge anytime soon.

So great to have new units, but a quick fix would be longer charging cables and a revision to parking layout.......

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,096 Posts
The PSA cars have an app so you should be able to check it on that...

Cable situation looks a bit of a mess though. The instavolts with the arm thingies are far more flexible.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
773 Posts
Downside of not being able to operate via the app - you cannot see how the charge is advancing, while sitting having a coffee in the services.

Advertised charging speed up to 120Kw. On both occasions, even when the only vehicle drawing power, my Peugeot e2008 would not charge faster than around 1kw/min (I understand it should be able to achieve 100Kw).
You can check the state of charge using your My.Peugeot app. There are other apps out there that can monitor your SoC such as Tronity and Juice Pilot.

Your car will only charge at the maximum advertised rate of 100kW from 0% to 20%. From 20% to ~80% it will be able to charge up to 75kW. Around 30kW up to 85% and then rapidly drops away. Your cars BMS will determine the maximum charge it can take which may be below the advertised figure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looks like you can get 3 cars in there if you ignore the markings entirely.
And I've heard that some kind of cable management device, like an arm, will be retrofitted.

But for the speed, evidence is growing that the best is of the order of 65-70kW, and possibly limited by the capacity of the electrical feed.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Had an experience of these and worked well for i3 a few weeks ago. The one thing I did not like was where the units were- just by the main exit route leaving the services car park. For the i3 we have to reverse in and in busy times it will temporarily mean me blocking the road to reverse in. Not a biggie and would only be an issue if busy. When we went it was very quiet.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,516 Posts
Wait they're spacing out dual units to only accommodate 1 car at a time? I'm going to give that a "bruh"

Tell me it's just that one site :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
646 Posts
Yes I think he means 60kW - 1kWh per minute.

Looks like a bit of a mess of a parking situation there - only ever able to accommodate 2 cars for a pair of chargers that are supposed to be able to take 4. I don't think you can expect people to guess that they need to ignore the markings to enable a third car! Hopefully will be rectified.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can check the state of charge using your My.Peugeot app. There are other apps out there that can monitor your SoC such as Tronity and Juice Pilot.

Your car will only charge at the maximum advertised rate of 100kW from 0% to 20%. From 20% to ~80% it will be able to charge up to 75kW. Around 30kW up to 85% and then rapidly drops away. Your cars BMS will determine the maximum charge it can take which may be below the advertised figure.
Thanks for charging speed information. I use the rather clunky MyPeugeot app to monitor charging at home, forgot about using it on the road!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, as @mad_rich said, I mean approx 60kw charge speed. The display on the units shows, in real time, a visual of %charged, and beneath that how many Kwhs delivered to the vehicle, and beneath that how long vehicle has been charging in minutes - hence my registering the Kwh vs minutes being almost exactly 1 to 1.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
1,689 Posts
I used Cherwell services this morning, both the old DBT machines have been replaced, the one nearest to Greg’s is CHAdeMO, 100Kw and CCS, 120kw. The second chargers is a twin CCS, both capable of doing a 50kw charge, the parking bays, really there is only 2, if you park on the hatched area, then possibly 3 can squeeze in, so also needs a revamp.

Couple of points worth raising, firstly, there is no A/C, so no facilities for ZOE drivers, so as all these chargers are changed, then A/C will become more extinct.

Secondly the CHAdeMO charged at 60kws, so these chargers will offer faster charging time for LEAF 62 owners, which is good news for turn around times.

Thirdly the old APP won’t work with these news chargers (there is no 4 digit number or QR code to scan), the only way to initiate a charge is with a contactless bank card (there is an RFID card facility if you have one).

There is also a QR code code that you can scan and use APPLE Pay or similar, it is worth noting that a contactless card won’t work if your bank asks for a PIN Number, (they do this after a certain number of contactless payments) then having APPLE Pay or similar could be a good back up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Couple of points worth raising, firstly, there is no A/C, so no facilities for ZOE drivers, so as all these chargers are changed, then A/C will become more extinct.
Just to note that there is an intention to put AC capability back. Either by a swap to a triple head charger when supplies are available, or by adding a standalone post.

There has been no indication as to whether they'll be 22 or 44 kW.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Looks like you can get 3 cars in there if you ignore the markings entirely.
Yes, from that photo, if the Ipace had shifted close to to the left kerb, would they have still had enough cable? Is the socket on the Ipace at the front? Gridserve prob just need to remove all the hatching and in the left position have a sign that says park as far to the left as possible. It would be quite annoying to be mid charge then have someone ask you to move the car. Then add in the mix of a new generation of entitled drivers, and with now working chargers, there may be a few heated conversations! At least there won't be a 3kW PHEV having a go on these ones.

That said, the spacing looks very generous when compared to a dual Instavolt -then you can be easily bumping doors with the car next to you.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,414 Posts
Wait they're spacing out dual units to only accommodate 1 car at a time? I'm going to give that a "bruh"

Tell me it's just that one site :ROFLMAO:
They're currently replacing ancient, existing chargers with new, working ones that just happen to be dual-head, but they're not moving them to a more logical position because they're not ready to alter the wiring yet.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Two problems here. First the cars. Both the iPace and Audi have their charge ports just in front of the A pillar so great for parallel parking with a charger but not for much else. If they had charge ports either in the front or rear they could have done as YoWombat suggested and parked on the hatched areas. Second problem is the legacy chargers were generally installed in out of the way corners when EVs were as rare as rocking horse poo. Its great that Gridserve are upgrading them but now EV use is taking off and we need more purpose built hubs or forecourts where EVs are properly catered for.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,414 Posts
Second problem is the legacy chargers were generally installed in out of the way corners when EVs were as rare as rocking horse poo. Its great that Gridserve are upgrading them but now EV use is taking off and we need more purpose built hubs or forecourts where EVs are properly catered for.
Yes, that's part of Gridserve's "phase 2" - Adding hubs of at least 6x 350kW rapids to all the MSAs where they're currently replacing the EH units.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gridserve are presumably somewhat limited by the positions of the existing chargers and the need to do quick swaps. Hopefully they will visit each site once this first essential phase is done and:
a) Check parking bays are marked logically
b) Ask if they can take over an additional bay and move one of the chargers (they appear to be adding AC posts in bays not previously used for EV charging, so maybe they have already agreed this and will move them when they change one of the rapids to a triple head?)

·
Registered
494 Posts
As others have said, this first phase is literally a case of swapping the unit and no other changes.

This explains why some units are still problematic, because the issue stems from the grid connection wiring and not (or at least not exclusively) the old DBT unit.

There has also been some Comms issues reported by users, again because these ABB units are having to use similar mobile/WiFi coverage as the old DBT units, so some of the Comms issues are also carrying over to the new units.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There has also been some Comms issues reported by users, again because these ABB units are having to use similar mobile/WiFi coverage as the old DBT units,
Starlink should be coming online soon. Would be ironic if they used that for comms :giggle:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts