Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So with the benefit of hindsight, perhaps spending months developing a new modular system to enable gen 1 and gen 2 Mobile Connectors/UMCs to be connected to a range of sockets across Europe and Scandinavia for slow charging just prior to COVID landing wasn't the best of timing!

So many aspect of the design have already been influenced by feedback from online forums and FB groups (e.g. the 32A gen 1 UMC adaptor with 16A cut out for when you forget to dial down the charge setting), and we are keen to make any further improvements for when the world hopefully returns to normal, or rather the 'new normal. If anyone has any comments or feedback, they would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I was thinking of buying the Tesla 16A adapter for future camping trips when my Model 3 arrives, so this would give a very cost effective way of adding Schuko capabilty for foreign trips without forking out another £43 to Tesla, while being much safer than a travel adapter for 13A granny lead! Would allow heavy duty caravan-style extension lead as well I assume. Extended high current loads do worry me, so being confident of the Schuko socket being plugged into would still be a concern, especially overheating; assume there’s no easy way to incorporate a thermal cutout?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately there isn't a thermal cut out - although it is far less of an issue with Schuko plugs, as they aren't fused (and therefore don't have the loose fuse clip issue) and arent being used so close to their limit, like 13A plugs in the UK for EV charging. We do however use a high quality Schuko plug.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was thinking of buying the Tesla 16A adapter for future camping trips when my Model 3 arrives, so this would give a very cost effective way of adding Schuko capabilty for foreign trips without forking out another £43 to Tesla, while being much safer than a travel adapter for 13A granny lead! Would allow heavy duty caravan-style extension lead as well I assume. Extended high current loads do worry me, so being confident of the Schuko socket being plugged into would still be a concern, especially overheating; assume there’s no easy way to incorporate a thermal cutout?
The cheap way of getting schuko is to buy a high performance uk extension lead (and you may well need one anyway to reach a socket) and change the plug either fir schuko or commando caravan hookup. The disadvantage of this option is you’ll be stuck with 10a charging but for most it’s not that big an issue. If you do want a faster charge rate then the UMC here looks good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts