Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies in advance, I feel like I'm my Mum when I was trying to teach her how to use a smartphone!

I had an Outlander new in 2017 - loved it, had the grant got a big white Polar chargemaster thingy on the wall, hasn't been used in 18months since I got rid of the car.

Now got a Mini E coming in 2 weeks, I've done zero research and it turns out the bit you put in the car (re-read above tittle) isn't the same at all. I know I can't get another grant, even though the first was a company car and the new one is personal.

So my questions are:
Is there an adapter?
Is the supply I have suitable for the Mini?
Can I just change the box thing?
Is it a complete new install?

I promise I would have searched the thread if I new what any of this stuff is called, so sorry if you experts might have to repeat yourselves!

Appreciate any help
Sharon

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
You can get the tethered lead and connector on the charge point replaced, from the Type 1 you have at the moment, to a Type 2 that will charge the Mini, and most other EVs on the market now. It's about a ten minute job to do by someone competent. Price of a replacement cable and connector will be around £120 to £150.

Ideally it's a job that should be done by an electrician, but it could be done by someone with good DIY skills, understands how to safely isolate the supply and how to make sure the terminals are all properly tightened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeremy! I have some terms! Ok I'm now Type 2, yay!
I'm assuming there is a better place to buy this stuff & a range of manufacturers, can you recommend any?

You can get the tethered lead and connector on the charge point replaced, from the Type 1 you have at the moment, to a Type 2 that will charge the Mini, and most other EVs on the market now. It's about a ten minute job to do by someone competent. Price of a replacement cable and connector will be around £120 to £150.

Ideally it's a job that should be done by an electrician, but it could be done by someone with good DIY skills, understands how to safely isolate the supply and how to make sure the terminals are all properly tightened.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
Thanks Jeremy! I have some terms! Ok I'm now Type 2, yay!
I'm assuming there is a better place to buy this stuff & a range of manufacturers, can you recommend any?
There are several suppliers, like these:

or my favourite (although they are more expensive, the cable is the best quality I've found):
EV Chargeking

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,748 Posts
Just to add that the old wall unit may well be a low power 16 amp output as I seem to remember that early Outlanders could only take that power. Replacing the tethered lead for a type 2 cable will not increase the power to 32 amps if the original unit and system back to the consumer unit is all at 16 amps.

This means that it may involve some more wiring by the cable fitter to go back to the fuse box but all that would not solve it if the wallbox itself is a low power unit.

Not a major issue if you are happy that the new car will only charge at 16 amps or 3.3kW even when the cable is changed. Overnight that might still fill the car with enough for normal commutes though. It's just something that you should be aware of and discuss with the electrician you choose to change cables.

On the other hand, the existing wall unit may be a full fat 32 amp output in which case you can ignore this. :)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
One thing to bear in mind. It's possible the Chargemaster is a 16A (3.6kW) machine, a lot were then and the Mitsubishi was a car with a 3.6kW charger so this may be well be a 3.6kW unit.
In this case will charge fast enough for you as the Mini has a 7.2kW on board charger.
the sort of difference is 4.5 hours on the 7kW and 11 on the 3kW but of course depends how much you use the battery during the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts