Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm contemplating ordering an Ioniq 5. I currently own a 2020 Tesla Model S Performance and am wondering what features I'd miss. Sure, the range is humongous and the acceleration is ridiculous but I rarely need the range and the acceleration is not exactly essential. I'm peed off that after paying almost £100k for a car Elon wants me to pay another £7k for autolane change and autopark/summon.

So, a few queries of owners:
1. Is it easy to schedule charging, and can you start/stop charging from the app? I'm on Octopus Go, but also have solar and it's handy to be able to stick the car on charge remotely if there's surplus solar power.
2. Will the car do over the air software/firmware updates?
3. It's disappointing that the Ioniq only does Android Carplay via USB and not bluetooth - my wife's BMW 1 series a couple of years ago was the same but her 2 year old Mini does Apple Carplay via bluetooth. I presume you can still play audio from the phone over bluetooth, like Spotify, podcasts etc?

·
Registered
363 Posts
1. From a brief play there has to be at least one departure set before scheduled charging is enabled in the UI. Not linked the app yet or, indeed, needed to charge the car yet.
2. Nope
3. Yup

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hi All,

I'm contemplating ordering an Ioniq 5. I currently own a 2020 Tesla Model S Performance and am wondering what features I'd miss. Sure, the range is humongous and the acceleration is ridiculous but I rarely need the range and the acceleration is not exactly essential. I'm peed off that after paying almost £100k for a car Elon wants me to pay another £7k for autolane change and autopark/summon.

So, a few queries of owners:
1. Is it easy to schedule charging, and can you start/stop charging from the app? I'm on Octopus Go, but also have solar and it's handy to be able to stick the car on charge remotely if there's surplus solar power.
2. Will the car do over the air software/firmware updates?
3. It's disappointing that the Ioniq only does Android Carplay via USB and not bluetooth - my wife's BMW 1 series a couple of years ago was the same but her 2 year old Mini does Apple Carplay via bluetooth. I presume you can still play audio from the phone over bluetooth, like Spotify, podcasts etc?
I leave the car on Eco+ with a Zappi EVSE and whenever there is excess solar the car charges. It put in 24kWh on Sunday. I stopped it charging on Monday as Agile Outgoing prices were so attractive yesterday.
OTA updates are on the roadmap (allegedly) but so far it is only map updates.
Yes BT play works fine.
BTW Video from USB is surprisingly good if you get bored while charging away from home.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,472 Posts
Having google maps which is always up to date is much better than even TomTom. Navigation system in most EVs is very poor in comparison to the idiot proof Tesla experience.

Think you'd have to borrow for a week to see.

Tesla app is best one I've used so far. The others are primitive and unreliable in comparison. Haven't tried a Hyundai one so they may not be as bad as the Nissan/Renault/PSA efforts.

Worth looking at Kia Ev6 as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Why would you want to sell your latest model s for a Hyundai? What is making you want to change? Genuine question.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having google maps which is always up to date is much better than even TomTom. Navigation system in most EVs is very poor in comparison to the idiot proof Tesla experience.

Think you'd have to borrow for a week to see.

Tesla app is best one I've used so far. The others are primitive and unreliable in comparison. Haven't tried a Hyundai one so they may not be as bad as the Nissan/Renault/PSA efforts.

Worth looking at Kia Ev6 as well.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Tesla app is reliable, map up to date but sometimes some wacky routes and a bit limited with no waypoints etc.

Not keen on the looks of the EV6.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why would you want to sell your latest model s for a Hyundai? What is making you want to change? Genuine question.
When I got my first Tesla (90D) in 2017 it really was the only long range EV option. When the PCP came up I handed it back as it was worth less than the final payment. At the time there were again no viable alternatives that I liked. I did order a Porsche Taycan, but when it came time to lock the build, it was just working out very expensive and the few long journeys I do need to make would have been very diffficult given the woeful non-Tesla charging network. So I ordered this one. It's been very good, but I've been driving a Model S now for 4.5 years. The charging network is fantastic, but I use it rarely, especially in the last 18 months.

I lost over £50k in 3 years on the first one, WBAC are quoting just shy of £80k for mine, so it's an opportunity to change the car with a relatively small loss. I really don't need to have £80k tied up in my daily driver now, there are plenty of alternatives. I like the look of the Hyundai, and I like their innovative approach. The build quality is better than my Tesla, that's for sure! Don't get me wrong, the interior quality of my 2020 car is much better than the 2017 90D, but it's still not in the Mercedes, Audi, Porsche league. If Model Y was available I'd probably go for that, but a Model 3 won't cut the mustard, I need a hatchback for the 2 labradors.

For 99% of my use an Ioniq 5 will do what the Tesla does and I can pocket £30k to buy myself another track toy. I also don't see myself losing much on it within the next couple of years as I think demand for used cars is going to remain high for a while, so it's a fairly low risk proposition, if I don't get on with the car I should be able to change it again without much loss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I need a hatchback for the 2 labradors.
We just went to test drive an Ioniq 5. Lovely looking car in my opinion, but the rear boot space is too small for our two dogs (labradoodles). The floor pan in the boot is very high which makes the headroom really low. Much more space in the back of our Leaf. For us it's probably going to be an ID.4, as it's the only one with a decent enough range that will fit the dogs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We just went to test drive an Ioniq 5. Lovely looking car in my opinion, but the rear boot space is too small for our two dogs (labradoodles). The floor pan in the boot is very high which makes the headroom really low. Much more space in the back of our Leaf. For us it's probably going to be an ID.4, as it's the only one with a decent enough range that will fit the dogs.
I went to have another look today and ended up putting an order in. I think the boot is deceptive - it's quite shallow height-wise at the end nearest the bumper, but pretty tall at the back, by the seat backrests. My Tesla is similarly very shallow near the bumper but my labs have been fine in it, they just sit leaning against the seatbacks and have plenty of room. I'm confident the Ioniq 5 will give them about the same headroom. You can also set the rear seats to be quite upright which will then mean there's more headroom as the roof is higher further towards the front of the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Also depending on spec. rear seats can slide forward. However beware the gap this leaves between boot and seat back.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also depending on spec. rear seats can slide forward. However beware the gap this leaves between boot and seat back.
Yes, I didn't mention that because of the gap! They slide forward in all 3 trim levels according to the website.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coming back to the scheduled charging issue, I found a couple of vids on the 'old' Ioniq and it looks like there's a setting on that to tell it when off-peak electricity charges are, and a box to select to force it to only charge during off-peak ... which is exactly what I'm after. Could any of you owners confirm whether this function exists on the Ioniq 5? I'd be pretty amazed if not.

Font Gadget Electronic device Auto part Multimedia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts