1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Bmw i3s 120ah 2019
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I have question for mg zs ev users:
What's your range on motorway (winter/summer) while driving at 70miles per hour.
Did you find any rust under car?
What charging cable do you recommend (car we were looking at have only 3pin cable)?

·
Registered
93 Posts
hiya

motorway range winter at 70 mph is probably around 120 miles...2.2-2.4 miles KWH
motorway range summer at 70 mph is probably around 140 miles 2.5-2.9 miles kwh

This car is not designed for motorway long distance travel but if you only occassionaly need to travel more than 120 mile journeys its no problem

I have seen a guy on utube apparently showing rust under the car.
I am not sure he is finding rust as i have looked under mine and the brown markings that he shows just rub off and seem to be dirt.
I am happy with things underneath and have seen no rust having had the car now nearly 18 months.

I have been quite okay with a fixed cable 7kw charger fitted at home and use the fixed cables on fast chargers when on long journeys so i havent felt i needed my own fast charge cable.
I spent the first month without a home charger so used the granny charger (3 pin) all that time , takes about 10 hours to charge from empty over night but usually will be charged up with in 5 hrs if not charging from empty. Remember everytime you are home you are in a 'petrol station'
However if you want to use the polar AC stations in various places such as restaurants etc it maybe worth getting a fast charge AC cable.

Very happy with the car as it seems reliable and is very practical if you need to transport a lot of stuff.
The ride is a bit soft maybe but I like that.
Make sure you haggle to get floor mats and/or a fast charge cable thrown in the deal if buying new.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The YouTube rust video was for an earlier ice zs, even then it was only superficial. It's not a known problem on the ev. Lots of people have been keeping an eye out for it and nothing has materialised.

You need a 7kw (30 amp) male to female type 2 cable to utilise many public chargers and for a home fast charger.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Winter (heaters) motorway range Is 93.5 miles.
(42.5x 2.2)

summertime motorway at 70mph is 127 miles range for me. I drive at 60mph because of this.

I’ve not seen any rust and I don’t have a charging cable. My home charger and rapid chargers are tethered. I’ve not regretted this decision once.

I used to recommend eZS to anyone who didn’t have regular journeys over 150 miles. Now I would say watch out for dodgy software and poor customer service. It’s cheap and cheerful but without the cheerful.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Don't expect more than 100 winter miles and 125 summer miles at 70mph. It is possible to get more if you are smooth and take even a few mph off your top speed, but it could be even worse under heavy acceleration and braking (like any ev).

Not noticed any rust on mine.

A 7kW cable is worth having. I have never needed more than 5m.

The car does what I need it to do and offers good value for the size, performance and quality IMHO.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Get a MG 5 instead.

Longer range and far more practical. Not being rude, but an MG ZS isn’t the most stylish car, so given the only reason to get one over the 5 is the “suv” style, I’d save the money and go MG5 instead. These are about £20k new with discount or £21500 for the Exclusive which is nicer inside.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
MG5 is a much older vehicle underneath. Not only is the ZS adapted for European markets with driver convenience and safety features like ACC/autosteer and AEB, but it’s also been NCAP tested.

The MG5 won’t have any of these things until the face lift.

You’ll save £5k but you might die 😆

Reactions: lee graham

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,139 Posts

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
far more practical.
True, but a 200m range rather than 150

How many times do you need telling? Range isn't the be all and end all of Car ownership. ;) You don't seem to manage to understand this....

Can you explain how the 5 is more practical in simple terms avoiding the 1 trick pony 200m range (which if you were actively paying attention seems to have its own reality field amongst 5 owners, that 200miles even in winter at 70mph seems to be more like 150miles at 70mph with the heater off).

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
How many times do you need telling? Range isn't the be all and end all of Car ownership. ;) You don't seem to manage to understand this....

Can you explain how the 5 is more practical in simple terms avoiding the 1 trick pony 200m range (which if you were actively paying attention seems to have its own reality field amongst 5 owners, that 200miles even in winter at 70mph seems to be more like 150miles at 70mph with the heater off).
What do you mean “how many times do I need telling?” - I realise range isn’t everything, but it is key to how well an EV works as a day to day car.

And then you prove my point by stating the blooming obvious that EV’s don’t tend to get their quoted range in the middle of winter, heaters on. So the ZS has a quoted range of 150ish miles, which will be more like 100 or even 75 in the middle of winter. This makes the car borderline useless to many as it simply doesn’t have the range to be useable as a normal daily driver and slip into life without making too many sacrifices and adaptions.

Range isn’t an issue until you don’t have enough of it!

But if we ignore range? No, there isn’t much to choose between the two cars after that for practicality, the 5 is a pseudo estate (there. Is a boot lip so not a true “estate car” ) but otherwise there isn’t much between them for “practicality” - but with the MG5 Exclusive available brand new for just over £21500 and the better range it seems a better choice.

Turn it on it’s head - why spend more money or the ZS which is no more practical, has a shorter range and is likely to be less efficient on m/KWh too as it is an SUV with the poorer handling and higher wind resistance that brings.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
What do you mean “how many times do I need telling?” - I realise range isn’t everything, but it is key to how well an EV works as a day to day car.

And then you prove my point by stating the blooming obvious that EV’s don’t tend to get their quoted range in the middle of winter, heaters on. So the ZS has a quoted range of 150ish miles, which will be more like 100 or even 75 in the middle of winter. This makes the car borderline useless to many as it simply doesn’t have the range to be useable as a normal daily driver and slip into life without making too many sacrifices and adaptions.

Range isn’t an issue until you don’t have enough of it!

But if we ignore range? No, there isn’t much to choose between the two cars after that for practicality, the 5 is a pseudo estate (there. Is a boot lip so not a true “estate car” ) but otherwise there isn’t much between them for “practicality” - but with the MG5 Exclusive available brand new for just over £21500 and the better range it seems a better choice.

Turn it on it’s head - why spend more money or the ZS which is no more practical, has a shorter range and is likely to be less efficient on m/KWh too as it is an SUV with the poorer handling and higher wind resistance that brings.
mind blown 🤯 I really didn't know my car could only do 75miles in winter. There was me believing the car when it said 140miles all through minus 5 and deep snow, I guess my odometer must be WAYYYY off as I often covered 100+ miles before charging and the car still said 30+ miles remaining.

I'm also glad your an expert aerodynamicist, I always though the Soul was the hipster epitomy of 2 box design with rubbish aero compared to say a "proper" aerodynamically designed car like say the Ioniq.

I'm really glad we have non-owners to keep is poor ZS owners right.

As a ZS owner I bought the ZS because its got one of the biggest boots in its class (bigger than a 5 on volume as it happens), its height making it easy for kids and the olds to get in and see out of. Its practicality with solid roofbars that can take heavy bikes. Its no bigger than the average car, it's cheap compared to expensive crossovers, its got sufficient tech and extras to make it nice enough to live with every day. And its got way better range than my Zoe had.

Yesterday my ZS estimated it had 201miles of range on the GOM. Of course it won't do 200miles because someone else will say it won't. ergo its then fact.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
293 Posts
My daughter has a ZS and if I were buying I’d buy the 5.
My daughter likes SUVs and I prefer estates. Simple as that.
The range isn’t critical for either of us and I’ve managed 40+ years without the things I apparently need so I won’t die!

*I do realise that the suggestion you’d die without all the current safety features was meant tongue in cheek!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
mind blown 🤯 I really didn't know my car could only do 75miles in winter. There was me believing the car when it said 140miles all through minus 5 and deep snow, I guess my odometer must be WAYYYY off as I often covered 100+ miles before charging and the car still said 30+ miles remaining.

I'm also glad your an expert aerodynamicist, I always though the Soul was the hipster epitomy of 2 box design with rubbish aero compared to say a "proper" aerodynamically designed car like say the Ioniq.

I'm really glad we have non-owners to keep is poor ZS owners right.

As a ZS owner I bought the ZS because its got one of the biggest boots in its class (bigger than a 5 on volume as it happens), its height making it easy for kids and the olds to get in and see out of. Its practicality with solid roofbars that can take heavy bikes. Its no bigger than the average car, it's cheap compared to expensive crossovers, its got sufficient tech and extras to make it nice enough to live with every day. And its got way better range than my Zoe had.

Yesterday my ZS estimated it had 201miles of range on the GOM. Of course it won't do 200miles because someone else will say it won't. ergo its then fact.
If your car is a ZS and will actually do 140m in deep winter when its wltp range is 163 miles then congratulations - you have about the only ev that drops by less than 15% mid winter. But according to your signature, you drive a Zoe (I realise that may be out of date).

We both know that what the GOM says is often not that accurate - i find the Kia's is pretty good, but others aren't always so accurate.

No the Soul isn't that aerodynamic, but is still does 280+ in the summer (had over 300 several times) and 240 in the winter, thats good enough for me.

All I am saying is the MG5 is better value than the ZS - its up to the poster which car he prefers.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
If your car is a ZS and will actually do 140m in deep winter when its wltp range is 163 miles then congratulations - you have about the only ev that drops by less than 15% mid winter. But according to your signature, you drive a Zoe (I realise that may be out of date).

We both know that what the GOM says is often not that accurate - i find the Kia's is pretty good, but others aren't always so accurate.

No the Soul isn't that aerodynamic, but is still does 280+ in the summer (had over 300 several times) and 240 in the winter, thats good enough for me.

All I am saying is the MG5 is better value than the ZS - its up to the poster which car he prefers.
My signature is up to date, I have one. ;) I had a Zoe, I have a ZS (which I feel places me in a good position on recommending the ZS). I'm no sure I need congratulating, I drive my car my way and I get the range I mentioned. When I drive it differently I get different range. Presuming range based on worst case you've seen minus 30% is kinda pointless, its basically what ICE owners do when trying to justify not switching to EV. Much like presuming range based on GOM that you never test.

We all know some GOMs are better than others, but the presumption of "mines good so yours must not be" is kinda old.

How many times have you done 280+ before charging? The proof is ultimately if what you actually do before charging.

That's nice you offered a different option to the OP, you did notice he asked on the ZS group though right? Not the 5 one so my guess, might be wrong, is he has already considered the options hence he's asking about range at certain speeds?

@Lucas123 I can't give you accurate guestimate at 70mph over a long trip, pandemic has made it all a bit difficult right now. What I will say though is with pretty much all EVs 65mph with the occasional squirt to 70mph to clear slower traffic is the sweet spot for range vs time on the road. I'd think 140 in Summer and 120 in winter would be fairly accurate though using a bit of heat or AC depending on conditions. I'm personally hoping this year I'll get a chance to really test the cars range. (y)

As for rust, no I had none when I bought the car. Because so many folk seemed adamant in rolling under the ZS (but never under any car they ever owned before that) I decided it worth squirting some clear dynax (already had it spare from my classic mini) onto the areas around the jig mounting holes. When it went in for 1st Service it was still good. The dealer when servicing the car cleaned this off and applied a dark protective coating (pretty good service) as part of service. I went for Dynamic Red paint and I have to say its standing up well to stone chips, with only a couple of small ones on the plastic bumper, nothing on bonnet (or other metal panels) which is good to see.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm personally hoping this year I'll get a chance to really test the cars range. (y)
Amen!

I can't comment on the range as I just haven't done enough runs of sufficient length. As it is I've sufficient range that I can wait until my next trip for a free supermarket charge, a cheap top up with Agile or free solar from my panels. Just after lunch here and I'm exporting 3.25kW (hot tank full, laundry done) but as a gurt big cloud is looming I shan't bother to plug in.

At least my league has restarted and I get to pootle around the county to a few away games: we're playing until June this year and I hope to take advantage of the sun roof eventually!

The comments from a non-MG owner seem distinctly opinionated and odd..

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
The comments from a non-MG owner seem distinctly opinionated and odd..
I'd be needing that extra range if my boot was only 315ltr for the second trip. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Freddy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts