Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well 14th day of ownership on the new Kona,

Go outside to go to work this morning and the 12v battery is flat, car was locked and no boot or any other items ajar, just enough power to show message on screen saying stop and check 12v battery before it all goes totally dead.

Jump started it and after a while it went from WARNING to CAUTION to OKAY.

It's been used fairly hard for 10 days but sat for last couple of days and straight away dead battery

Hyundai are sending a tech to change battery and check for excessive drain in the next few days.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,936 Posts
So many of these cars were sat in storage for an extended period before delivery. My MG was crying about a low 12v for the first week or so

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,902 Posts
What a pain in the arse! I get exasperated with EV manufacturers that haven't got the brain to wake the car up every 24 hours, check the 12v and then charge it back up to a decent level if it's not at least 12.4v. Even Nissan managed to do this!

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
That is very disappointing news. I understand the new(er) Hyundai Ionic has a lithium battery to try to overcome these issues.
That sounds even worse, unless it's got loads of capacity.

But then they may as well use the main traction battery and just have better software to charge and maintain the 12V while the car isn't being used.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep an eye on my 12v battery in bluelink app and in ev notify.
Yep same here it was green last night when I checked andv100% dodo at 8am this morning.

Was not impressed got a lovely dirty patch on my shirt while trying to jump start it. Can't suck in the belly that much that it didn't touch the dirty nose cone ;-)

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
Maybe it needs to be kept on a trickle charge?

Like those expensive McLaren sports cars.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have an unconfirmed theory that the 12V battery needs a long (overnight+) slow charge via the sensor on the battery terminal to calibrate its charge (it can't hurt anyway).

People who have done this after an experience like yours don't seem to have any problems afterwards.

I just did a constant voltage charge at 13.8V for twelve hours soon after I recieved the car (E-Niro) so that I knew where I stood regarding the battery charge and I had the constant voltage charger to hand and I have never had any problems, touch wood.

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
97 Posts
My ICE Golf GTI battery went flat after being parked for 30mins after a 1hour drive, at less than 2yrs old.
Went from OK to completely dead without any warning!
Got a new battery under warranty but NFF on alternator etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That must be insanely annoying.
Sometimes I find the car in an odd state where the dash is lit but blank when the car is locked

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well 14th day of ownership on the new Kona,

Go outside to go to work this morning and the 12v battery is flat, car was locked and no boot or any other items ajar, just enough power to show message on screen saying stop and check 12v battery before it all goes totally dead.

Jump started it and after a while it went from WARNING to CAUTION to OKAY.

It's been used fairly hard for 10 days but sat for last couple of days and straight away dead battery

Hyundai are sending a tech to change battery and check for excessive drain in the next few days.

View attachment 134943
I honestly don’t think it’s failing batteries, ours was fine until the BMS update, then we had the same happen. I’m convinced it’s a function hanging, bit like a PC that doesn’t shutdown because a process is busy. I’d been cleaning ours, so was at home, I put a charger on, but with the car off it was still drawing enough current that the charger wouldn’t start. I had to disconnect the battery, then the charger would work. When I reconnected the battery there was a small arc, so something still demanding current, but it would at least start then and was fine afterwards.

I ordered a jump starter to keep in the car, but it got lost in the French postal system, can’t win!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it's at dealers now and a tech from head office is working on it.

They are changing the battery and monitoring it for drain.

Seems it's an issue they may know about as they said a car in same situation set of the SOS system when the battery drained asked if mine did that (it didn't)

The module not shutting down fully idea makes perfect sense.

Will see what they say. Hopefully only another hour or so can't drink much more weak Hyundai Coffee.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
427 Posts
Lead acid batteries lose capacity any time they are kept at a discharged state. If they sat idle and discharging for a month, even if you fully charge it immediately afterwards, right to 100% and leave it on a soak charge and maintain 100% for a long time, the capacity remains lost. One day you'll have a cold night, or it'll stand without charge a little longer than normal, and it'll die. You can charge it again, but it'll just do it again. Recycle it.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lead acid batteries lose capacity any time they are kept at a discharged state. If they sat idle and discharging for a month, even if you fully charge it immediately afterwards, right to 100% and leave it on a soak charge and maintain 100% for a long time, the capacity remains lost. One day you'll have a cold night, or it'll stand without charge a little longer than normal, and it'll die. You can charge it again, but it'll just do it again. Recycle it.
Yes that's why they are changing it. But as it's a 12 day old car and the battery failed the first time it's stood for 24 hours without use they want to investigate to see if there is a drain in the system somewhere

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
427 Posts
Good stuff. I think the implication is that a lot of cars sat in factory or shipyards pre-delivery for a long time during lockdown, so I don't know if your car is perhaps suffering this fate?
Most likely it just needs a new battery and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good stuff. I think the implication is that a lot of cars sat in factory or shipyards pre-delivery for a long time during lockdown, so I don't know if your car is perhaps suffering this fate?
Most likely it just needs a new battery and it'll be fine.
It had a build date of mid may 2020 in Korea

So should not have been in Tilbury long. Unless someone forgot to flip the transit circuit breaker in the fusebox

Seems first time it sprung to life was on Aug 10. 2020 when someone at the docks gave it a fairly enthusiastic 91mph wale up drive

After that it was off and on till delivery on 1st Sept

1 - 20 of 47 Posts