Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this forum. I live in Oregon, USA, where I bought a used (3-year lease turn-in) 500e in January. Absolutely love the car. I can drive all over the metro area and in a month with a lot of driving it costs me as much as $6 in electricity. Very zippy little car and great for city parking. The only downside is the low front, which routinely scrapes going in and out of driveways. I can see why this is the best selling used EV right now. As wholesalers buy them up and ship them to used car dealers outside California, they may become more readily available. If so, I recommend them!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Fiat500 is massively popular in Europe but we have no chance of seeing a 500e as Fiat currently don't make a profit on them.

They are sold in the U.S. as compliance cars, i.e. they sell a few 500e to balance out their portfolio and counteract the more polluting cars they sell (and make a profit on).

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Welcome to the forum

SWMBO wants one, she has an auto petrol one and is very annoyed they are not available in the UK :mad:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I wonder what price a used 500e goes for? Shipping from California? Then left hand drive. Not worth the trouble and expense unfortunately. Who wants to be first? Does it have rapid charging?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fiat500 is massively popular in Europe but we have no chance of seeing a 500e as Fiat currently don't make a profit on them.

They are sold in the U.S. as compliance cars, i.e. they sell a few 500e to balance out their portfolio and counteract the more polluting cars they sell (and make a profit on).
Man, they would go down a storm here. (If they were economic to produce & buy.) Even I find those little cars cool and I'm not really into that stuff. An electric one would be livewire

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I wonder what price a used 500e goes for? Shipping from California? Then left hand drive. Not worth the trouble and expense unfortunately. Who wants to be first? Does it have rapid charging?
It does not no, but it does have a real world range of 100 miles which is pretty good considering it's essentially a first gen EV.

Fiat recently said they do now make a profit on them due to the fall in battery price but still have no intention of making the car at any reasonable scale.

I'd also like a car like this with rapid charging, it's a great city/county lanes car.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
So in coclusion FIAT have a car that they could produce and make a profit and get a great start in the inevitable transition to EV. They wont because the chief exec hates EVs. I predict that sooner or later there will be no more FIAT unless they get rid of this prat.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,859 Posts
Part of the cost problem is simply because Sergio Marchione hates EVs and as such the 500e is in very low volume. If they produced it in higher volume to meet demand, the cost would drop significantly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are a few that have been brought over from the states to Italy. A car sharing scheme in Turin (I think) has a few.

The high cost of import is less of an issue here as used car prices are so much higher. While you can pick up an early leaf for £7k in Britain, it would cost me €5k just to get a 1990 Fiat Panda Elettra with 2 seats, lead batteries and a range of 35km.

On a wider note, thinking about Fiat and electric vehicles, you have to consider that Fiat sell over half of their annual European production in Italy, so unless something works in Italy they are unlikely to do it. Here are a couple of the reasons why the spread of electric cars in Italy is going to be difficult without some changes at a national level. Firstly, power limits. In Italy we can't just use as much power as our main fuse can take at any moment and be charged for it, we have to choose a limit (3kW, 4.5 kW, or 6kW) and the standing charge jumps for those requesting a higher limit. From this you'll see that having a domestic 6.6kW charger is not possible as you are already over the highest limit, so you are left with 3.3kW, which is unattractive to many. Secondly, electricity prices are much higher here than other parts of Europe. It would cost me €8 to charge a 24kWh battery from 0 - 100%, and that is more than it costs for the equivalent distance worth of petrol in our Punto. So, unless you really want to, and there are some (but not many) people that do want to, there is no economic case for the switch yet, and until there is then people won't switch and Fiat won't spend money building cars that they can't sell at home regardless of the views of their boss.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
If electricity prices are so high in Sicily then that is where the problem lies, and is where the people should be focussed on forcing change. That is, of course, unless someone is being made 'an offer they can't refuse', to keep things as they are.

In a place with a great sunshine record the answer could be for everyone to install PV. Payback times would be short due to the mains price. Coupled with home battery storage then local EV transport would be very economical.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You make some good points but I don't want to turn the thread into a discussion about Italian politics. I was just trying to point out that Fiat's lack of enthusiasm is due to more than Marchionne.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hopefully when Mercedes starts competing in Formula E, Ferrari will have a change of heart and go head to toe with them in the 2019/20 season. Then maybe the 500e will finally have its day in the sun and Italy will change its opinion of EV's and all the necessary incentives to get them accepted... :)

·
Registered
Kona64
1,526 Posts
If you are thinking of importing one, I'd first have a word with your local Fiat garage.
You don't want to get it, and go there with a problem and they say there's no way they are looking at it, as they don't have any manuals, diagrams tools etc, training , for the HV system.....

But I too wish they'd sell one in the UK as a Zoe / eUp rival .... I'm sure it would go down well in the Nordics and low countries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can add me to the list of 500 owners who would've happily traded in their 500 for an "e" here in the UK! I have owned nothing but FIATs and Alfas all my life. The 500 with an electric motor must be such a joy to zip about in! It has always been a great city car, so electrification would seem to be the obvious next step in its evolution. Its great to hear that they are still going strong after 3 yrs too. Bodes well.

Real shame we cant get any in Europe. Instead, next week, (hopefully) I am driving my current 500L Diesel over to BMW, where it is being part-exed for a brand new BMW i3 94ah rex.

Sorry FIAT, you literally gave me no option..... Also, my other car is a Renault. :eek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Worthwhile resurrecting as the link is to a current (end Oct 2020) announcement promising UK deliveries form March 2021
Having driven my $5000 used 2013 500e in California for the last year and a half - I have to admit it is a fun little car to drive, cheap to insure. straightforward to maintain and practical even compared to our previous EV in a fully loaded BMW i3 we leased in 2014 before replacing that with a Chevy Bolt my wife now drives (which I also enjoy driving) after selling her ICE in 2019. The main benefits I miss in the i3 was the DC fast charger, slightly better cargo/rear-space, one-pedal driving and maybe the self-parking. Everything else the Fiat has for substantially less. With a similar range, the i3 was otherwise fast and zippy with great one-pedal driving experiences. However the controls were quirky, fast but with super twitchy steering, skinny (hard to source/expensive) tyres and other minor annoyances that made it a little less fun to drive overall than the 500e. .. and of course it was much more expensive.

So if the new Fiats are truly a step up (especially the reported 199 mile range, one pedal driving and DC fast charging) from what I'm currently enjoying - I'm all for it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts