Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's official!
Useless people from Fife Council strikes back.
From 1st April these idiots starting to charge for using stations.
£1.60 connection tax and 15p/kwh tax.
To pay for useless expensive electioneering eye catching works.
That on top of extra income tax for Scotland residents and 4.84% Council tax rise. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
408 Posts
I know cupar are not hair about our, their local council are against it.

Still trying to get a definite answer if they are ending free parking while charging as well

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course they will end free parking.
What makes me angry is knowing the council have wasted £1.1m on the pavement in Kirkcaldy high Street while the shops are abandoned.
Now they are removing the central separation on the sea front street.
I honestly never saw such waste of tax money as with this council.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
To be fair fees for charging was always coming. But the starting fee is stupidly high for council posts.

It'll definitely reduce the posts use. I used to splash and dash a lot in Zoe, often on a trip I'd need maybe 5kWh to get home but with the high starting fee it discourages this approach and rewards long stay to offset the starting fee.

Lucky for me I'm getting a longer range EV so hopefully I won't need this practice any more.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Nah, Fife council do a great job with the resources they have and the large rural area they have to cover. It's annoying having to pay to charge, but that is only because it's been free and fantastic for quite a long time.?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Parking cost is apparently absorbed into starting fee. £1.10 parking and the rest is starting fee. But based on typical council parking thats only up to 2 hours parking.

As for the Kirkcaldy projects. That's Councillors handy work. The council is pulled, pushed and tripped in the direction of the latest councillors whim.

·
Registered
746 Posts
It'll definitely reduce the posts use. I used to splash and dash a lot in Zoe, often on a trip I'd need maybe 5kWh to get home but with the high starting fee it discourages this approach and rewards long stay to offset the starting fee.
Same here in East Lothian, no longer use any of the chargers. Edinburgh is still free so making hay while the sun shines on daily commutes.

Funnily enough, the only vehicles I've seen using rapids now in East Lothian are PHEVs hanging off the AC connectors at 30p kWh!?

·
Registered
408 Posts
But Edinburgh has almost no council provision apart from their offices, the park and rides and a couple of libraries.

Majority are the college/unis or private sites.

Or atleast that's what it looks like from zap map.

I'll reserve judgment on Fife until we see if they are actually using money raised from charging to invest in new infrastructure like they claim.

I know that even after they started charging to charge in Dundee they kept free parking while charging on street (time limited) and free parking whether charging or not in the multi storey carparks as long as you pre-register your car.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Yeah I’m the main I use the P&R chargers. Next to the royal commonwealth pool/ pollock halls there are more chargers than I have ever seen before which is also handy :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
The last time I looked, supermarkets, local councils, shopping centres etc, don't offer free petrol (or 'free' anything else). People on this forum who complain about charging for charging really do need to get real.

Whilst it is nice (as a user) to have something at no cost, it distorts the market and provides perverse incentives to individuals to 'do the wrong thing'.

If your competitors are providing something 'free', then it inhibits investment by businesses seeking to invest on a competitive basis. That is particularly unfair when the 'free' goods are being subsidised by our Council Tax. No commercial organisation can compete against 'free'.

And as 'free' charging is cheaper than home charging, it ties up public chargers with drivers who could/should be charging at home. I would much prefer to pay a reasonable tariff (15p-20p/kWh) and guarantee having a charger available than turn up on a long journey needing a charge, only to find the charger in use by someone simply taking advantage of free power.

And for the OP, why should the general tax-payers of Fife continue to subsidise your driving? The charge seems fair enough to me.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
subsidised by our Council Tax
Its not, its paid for by Holyrood money. Council tax is raised by the council and stays with the council and go towards all the gaps not funded by Holyrood in their ring fenced puff projects.

I would much prefer to pay a reasonable tariff (15p-20p/kWh) and guarantee having a charger available
Agreed. A reasonable tarrif for what you consume. A high starting fee doesn't make sence.

shopping centres etc, don't offer free petrol
When was the last time you want to a petrol station and they charged you for 2 hours parking before you could pump fuel? Or a starting fee before any petrol trickled out?

Reactions: husoi

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shopping centres, the likes of The Centre in Livingston, the Forth in Glasgow, Braehead in Paisley etc offer free charging in incentive for EV drivers to go shopping there.
Again, the idiots in Fife Kingdom centre installed 3 paid charging stations that are never used. I rarely go there, if I go I won't plug my car and stay just enough time for what I need.
If visiting The Centre I will even have lunch or dinner and will stay for far longer.
My last visit I bought a suit, shoes, a tonne of clothes and accessories for the wife, dinner at the restaurant. I got from 24% to 100% (around £7 @15p/kw) while I spend well over that amount.
I have nothing against paying for the electricity but the council doesn't pay for maintenance, done by the installer and paid by CPS, the stations in fife are mostly around their depots and only 1 at halbeath P&R and a couple at car parks of leisure centres.
The £1.60 connection charge is just a way to tax drivers and is nothing to do with parking.
I would almost accept it if roads around the council (and for all of Scotland for that matter) weren't in such poor condition, I have drove in several countries around the world and I can say that roads in Fife can only be compared with Lithuania, Poland and the Philippines, keep in mind that those countries have less tax income than Scotland.
Furthermore, I've work for the building services in Fife council and I know how they operate and how "efficient" they are.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Shopping centres, the likes of The Centre in Livingston, the Forth in Glasgow, Braehead in Paisley etc offer free charging in incentive for EV drivers to go shopping there.
Again, the idiots in Fife Kingdom centre installed 3 paid charging stations that are never used. I rarely go there, if I go I won't plug my car and stay just enough time for what I need.
If visiting The Centre I will even have lunch or dinner and will stay for far longer.
My last visit I bought a suit, shoes, a tonne of clothes and accessories for the wife, dinner at the restaurant. I got from 24% to 100% (around £7 @15p/kw) while I spend well over that amount.
I have nothing against paying for the electricity but the council doesn't pay for maintenance, done by the installer and paid by CPS, the stations in fife are mostly around their depots and only 1 at halbeath P&R and a couple at car parks of leisure centres.
The £1.60 connection charge is just a way to tax drivers and is nothing to do with parking.
I would almost accept it if roads around the council (and for all of Scotland for that matter) weren't in such poor condition, I have drove in several countries around the world and I can say that roads in Fife can only be compared with Lithuania, Poland and the Philippines, keep in mind that those countries have less tax income than Scotland.
Furthermore, I've work for the building services in Fife council and I know how they operate and how "efficient" they are.

The Glenrothes Town Centre chargers have nothing to do with the Council, they were paid for by the Kingdom Centre. You can't blame that on Fife Council.

As for no chargers anywhere, every train station has a post (well I think perhaps Dunfermline town doesn't but there is one up in the town proper). Cupar has a couple of locations. St Andrews has a rapid and a standard post in different car parks. A lot of towns in the region have at least 1 council charger. Cowdenbeath, kirkcaldy, Leven, Anstruther etc. There is rapids at Dunfermline (2 rapids, 1x 22 post and 10 standard 7kw posts), 2 rapids at Bankhead Glenrothes, 1 rapid in St Andrews. To be fair Fife doesn't need a lot of rapids as its only @35miles from bridge to bridge if passing through.

The number if charging units is going up this year too.

You should have seen what we had in 2015 when I first started driving EV in Fife.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Glenrothes Town Centre chargers have nothing to do with the Council, they were paid for by the Kingdom Centre. You can't blame that on Fife Council.

As for no chargers anywhere, every train station has a post (well I think perhaps Dunfermline town doesn't but there is one up in the town proper). Cupar has a couple of locations. St Andrews has a rapid and a standard post in different car parks. A lot of towns in the region have at least 1 council charger. Cowdenbeath, kirkcaldy, Leven, Anstruther etc. There is rapids at Dunfermline (2 rapids, 1x 22 post and 10 standard 7kw posts), 2 rapids at Bankhead Glenrothes, 1 rapid in St Andrews. To be fair Fife doesn't need a lot of rapids as its only @35miles from bridge to bridge if passing through.

The number if charging units is going up this year too.

You should have seen what we had in 2015 when I first started driving EV in Fife.
I think I was clear by saying "the idiots of kingdom centre".
The rapid charger in St. Andrews is Uni not council but the council just took ownership of it.
The stations in Victoria hospital have been removed, the one in Burntisland has been disconnected. Look at zap-map and you will see that other than Bankhead Building services depot in Glenrothes, Halbeath depot and car park in Kirkcaldy there are 2 other rapid stations for the whole of Fife.
Not a single one fast 22kw station
Most of stations are 7kw or lower and either ICE'd most of the time, faulty and nobody from the council gives a rats furry behind about it or in locations that you won't go there anyway because there is nothing there to do.

I remember steam engines but don't dwell about it either. I prefer to live in the present not in the past...

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Who told you the rapid in St Andrews wasn't installed by Fife Council, it was, in the same tranche as the sister units at Halbeath and Bankhead. It was supposed to go into the same car park as the 7kW post but was installed at the Uni end of the car park because of power issues.

All other posts are 7kW.

Victoria Hospital was installed by NHS, and was a 22kW and worked great for about 3 months, broke and was then never fixed. It was always a charge for charging post. Cost about £2 for a charge, I used it more than once. No idea about the Burntisland post, but I was talking to a Zoe owner recently and they said they were using them just last week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts