Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Zoe is coming up to its fifth service, which is the cheaper 'A' service. Looking online, the basic price including MOT varies from £100 to £150 locally. It offers an option to change the coolant for ~£100 to "prevent the engine from overheating". I didn't realise that the ZOE's electric motor was water-cooled - I thought it was only the batteries.

While I'm all for preventative maintenance, I'm not really sure how much the coolant can 'degrade'? I've so far managed to do without a new 12V battery, though I do test it regularly. So is it really worth doing the coolant?

·
Registered
596 Posts
There is coolant for the motor, the battery is air cooled. I’d just get it changed as I wouldn’t want it to be an excuse on a warranty claim

I would defo change the 12v as it’s the most unpredictable, causing all sorts of errors.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why change the battery when I’ve tested it and it has plenty of capacity? It’s not as if it has much to do. Anyway, that’s not the question I asked...

I can see you point about warranty, though I’m still trying to decide if I want to extend the extended warranty before August. Decisions, decisions...

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
503 Posts
The R240 has an air cooled motor, and IIRC the Q90 (only) has a liquid cooled motor.
The liquid cooling system on R240 and everything but Q90 is for the electronics only.

The battery is air cooled and can use the aircon to cool the battery.
Battery heating cannot be done by the HVAC system, but there are resistive heaters depending on the model and country ( esp Norway)
Please post if you can confirm or correct me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The R240 has an air cooled motor, and IIRC the Q90 (only) has a liquid cooled motor.
The liquid cooling system on R240 and everything but Q90 is for the electronics only.

Battery heating cannot be done by the HVAC system, but there are resistive heaters depending on the model and country ( esp Norway)
Why change the battery when I’ve tested it and it has plenty of capacity? It’s not as if it has much to do. Anyway, that’s not the question I asked...

I can see you point about warranty, though I’m still trying to decide if I want to extend the extended warranty before August. Decisions, decisions...

don’t ever have an EV out of any kind of warranty. My experience with Renault is that they will replace parts like lego on the zoe until they find the one that was actually broken.

my old R240 had entire hvac and suspension replacing in the end it was a minor part of the hvac that was busted after £3k worth of parts put in lol

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

·
Registered
17,453 Posts

If it’s warranty you care about then you just have to ask them what is the minimum you need to get the stamp in the book.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all 👍

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's very interesting, so chances are that the fans coming on when i plug my 41 into charge could actually be the heater putting heat into the battery rather than cooling it down.

I don't drive it fast, I rarely take it on the motorway for any length of time, so that makes a lot more sense as its normally freezing all the time north of the border.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
That's very interesting, so chances are that the fans coming on when i plug my 41 into charge could actually be the heater putting heat into the battery rather than cooling it down.

I don't drive it fast, I rarely take it on the motorway for any length of time, so that makes a lot more sense as its normally freezing all the time north of the border.
Yes the 'soft' fan comes on even in winter so my assumption is its to spread the little heat from the resistive heater throughout the battery pack.
In summer and some motorway miles the main fan comes on and can be assisted by the air conditioning to cool the pack.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,182 Posts
I have just changed the 12v battery on my ( Q90 2017 3rd service ) it cost around £59 and was very easy to do
i purchased the same battery as shown in the video below : Yuasa YBX3012

1 - 12 of 12 Posts