Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The problem, I've come to realise after talking about my EV experience with people, is that those kind of savings only work for a very specific type of car usage.

Take the above example, to drive 28k over 2 years is 14k per year. That equates to roughly 60 miles a working day commute (which is also my commute distance). That is at the upper limit of a Leaf 24kWh, and that is how you maximise your savings.

If you only drive 10 miles a day, the EV depreciates faster than fuel savings. If you drive 100 miles a day, the cheapest first-gen EV's become a hassle needing to rapid charge everyday. You have to be driving 50+ miles a day AND buy a cheap EV AND charge at home using cheapest electricity to access any savings.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you only drive 10 miles a day, the EV depreciates faster than fuel savings.
That isn't an EV issue as such, that's a "new cars depreciate a hell of a lot" issue. Driving smaller mileages just exaggerates the issue.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem, I've come to realise after talking about my EV experience with people, is that those kind of savings only work for a very specific type of car usage.

Take the above example, to drive 28k over 2 years is 14k per year. That equates to roughly 60 miles a working day commute (which is also my commute distance). That is at the upper limit of a Leaf 24kWh, and that is how you maximise your savings.

If you only drive 10 miles a day, the EV depreciates faster than fuel savings. If you drive 100 miles a day, the cheapest first-gen EV's become a hassle needing to rapid charge everyday. You have to be driving 50+ miles a day AND buy a cheap EV AND charge at home using cheapest electricity to access any savings.
You're right, the Leaf was perfect for my commuting "mission". If it could cope with doing that on motorways in winter, to save time wasted commuting, I'd have kept it.
I wouldn't have bought a Leaf new and the heavy initial depreciation meant that in 2016 I could buy an EV. Not sure depreciation will be an issue for the current owner, due to scarcity of used EVs however.
10 miles a day is a waste for most cars, it's bicycle territory :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
10 miles a day is a waste for most cars, it's bicycle territory :)
Yup, tend to agree on that one. 10 miles each way is probably beyond the limit for bike commuting for "normal folk" though. Unless it's across a particularly congested city!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts