Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"But you've done 20,000 miles in your LEAF Grant, why only now get a free charging station?"

Well... those who have follow me on LEAF Talk will know that I used a £17 Screwfix socket for the first 6 months then bought an ex-display Rolec 30A charging station that I self installed (yes was checked by sparky prior to switch on). The Rolec has never failed and been great charging the car via a 3M tethered J1772.

Since then I have also built my own portable EVSE Charging Station with the help of Kevin Sharpe. This connects to a 32A Commando socket in my garage.

However, the upcoming 48 hour BMW i3 test drive has highlighted that I need a charging solution for non J1772 cars. So it's time to finally utilise my one shot at UK Gov funding and get a free(ish) charging station installed.

There are three models;
  1. The British Gas one,
  2. The Polar variant
  3. ROLEC unit.
British Gas and Polar have their own bespoke design and I don't much like the non-modular approach. The ROLEC unit will be in a housing matching my current installed station and, after 3 years, should be very simple to whip out the comms module ;-) It is also easier to maintain / upgrade as all accessible components on a DIN rail.

I've made the call to ROLEC but have no idea who covers this part of the world, neither did Steve at ROLEC. So waiting for a call back from whoever for a survey.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Grant, I had my rolec type 1 tethered 32A station installed by phoenix works. They did charge me £120 extra for the 32a version mind.

I decided to go with a rolec one as they seem Alot more reliable than the polar / British gas jobbies. Also as you mentioned the components are mounted on a din rail, so if any of the components fail it's an easy swap. A big plus is that I can also replace the tethered lead to a type 2 in the future if I do sell my leaf for a Vw E-golf (fingers crossed) in a couple of years time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grant, I had my rolec type 1 tethered 32A station installed by phoenix works. They did charge me £120 extra for the 32a version mind
Not sure they come as far South as this. I've heard a figure of £60 mentioned for the 32A version - maybe that is just for the socket.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Not sure they come as far South as this. I've heard a figure of £60 mentioned for the 32A version - maybe that is just for the socket.
It was £100 ex Vat. Maybe it is £60 for the socket type.

I think they travel the whole of the UK. They are based in Yorkshire. But there was no problems carrying my installation in South Wales and they were moving onto West Wales after my install.

Worth a phone call as they done a top job on the installation.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Has anyone seen the insides of a ChargeMaster / BG Charger? I'd be interested to know what components they've used and would be surprised if they weren't DIN Rail mounted tbh.
The POLAR branded Charging Stations did not use DIN rail technology. I've not seen one recently but would be surprised if anything has changed.

Pod Point, ROLEC, and Mainpine use DIN rail technology. Here's the inside of a Pod Point;

PodPoint_Inside.jpg

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pod Point, ROLEC, and Mainpine use DIN rail technology. Here's the inside of a Pod Point;
Why is the RCBO up the top and the kWh meter stuck on with glue?!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rolec never did call me back. So I thought I'd give Phoenix Works a call; great chat with Nicola; supportive of my requirements and configuration request. They're off to check a couple of things:
  1. That the Rolec Type 2 is capable of the full 32 amps; my early tethered Rolec only has a 30A breaker
  2. What EVSE Protocol Module is inside @Kevin Sharpe Are they still your Mainpine controllers or are Rolec using a different supplier?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Answered via email from @Thephoenixworks

To confirm, the breaker inside the unit is a 32A type B RCBO. The EVSE protocol module on the newer units are Rolec branded. You are correct that the earlier units had the Mainpine specification.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Grant Thomas "branded" is the key word ;)
AHA! So without compromising your Non-Disclosure Agreement with Rolec, could one retrofit a variable charge resistor to a Rolec branded EVSE almost exactly the way you can with an EVSE Protocol Module labeled Mainpine? ;););););););)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
So without compromising your Non-Disclosure Agreement with Rolec, could one retrofit a variable charge resistor to a Rolec branded EVSE almost exactly the way you can with an EVSE Protocol Module labeled Mainpine?
I can't comment on the Rolec Charging Station and suggest you try it if you find a pin labelled "IC" on their EPC ;) Obviously, if it didn't work then you could drop in a Mainpine EPC which does support that feature... thats the great thing about DIN rail based technology - upgradable! :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rolec response:

The mode 3 communication unit is manufactured in house
I can confirm the mode 3 comms unit does not have a pin labeled “IC”

·
Registered
585 Posts
<Sorry - reviving an old thread>

Rolec response:
The mode 3 communication unit is manufactured in house
I can confirm the mode 3 comms unit does not have a pin labeled “IC”
No, but it does have a pin called PX :), which seems to have a 291ohm resistor in it :).
But I'm confused, this seems to be an odd value :(.

Does anyone have a manual for the Rolec EPC? (@Kevin Sharpe @Lee Howard ?)

Obviously, if it didn't work then you could drop in a Mainpine EPC which does support that feature... that's the great thing about DIN rail based technology - upgradable! :)
I've just been looking at that, but the pin outs appear to be different. For instance there's no 5V output on the Mainpine to drive the LEDs, it looks like it sources rather than sinks. And the contactor output appears to work differently, but not got the bottom of that yet (started raining). Any pointers greatly appreciated!
:)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Does anyone have a Rolec with comms? My connectivity is with a GPRS module clipped onto an external meter, so nothing in the Wallpod itself.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks - so whilst all the others have inbuilt comms, the Rolec requires an external unit in order to comply with OLEV reporting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts