Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Polestar 2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to join the ev movement for the last three years.

I ordered a Golf GTE Advance, December 2017, on a six week leed time. Upon confirming the lease the lead time started to grow and my personal car got written off (hit and run while it was parked).

The lead time continued to increase now to July, having a car is a requirement of my job, I took an in stock deal on a diesel BMW 4 series gran coupe that I received in the February.

December 2019 I started lease hunting as my 24 monther was coming to an end.

After much deliberation I between full EV and Hybrid and the Model 3 being out of my lease budget, I narrow it down to the BMW 330e and the Mercedes 250e, I liked the BMW slightly more but the lease on the Merc was £30/month cheaper do I ordered for the new tax year an extended the current lease to cover the gap.

Then COVID-19 had complete radio silence from the lease company. Following the easing of covid restrictions I finally got hold of them and them intern got hold of the dealership, who are now refusing to honour the deal at this point there still some reasonable deals on the 330e. We decided to appeal to Mercedes finance as we had a signed contract and was prepared to take the car since April , Mercedes finance backed the dealer saying that its in the terms, lockdown triggered force majeur, the lifting of the lockdown had seen a massive hike in lease prices. I was disappointed with Mercedes it was a legal choice but not the most ethical (I personally will have nothing to do with Mercedes now)

So I am back lease hunting and the lay of thand has changed more working from home, less site visits. I'm now leaning more towards EV than I am PHEV, the only problem is the deals are not as favourable.

Just before settling on a Ford kuga PHEV I find a cracking lease on a Polestar 2 I had no idea what a Polestar 2 was bu the MD told me it was a good car (he had a model 3 performance on order and his wife drives a model X).

So I ordered it without a test drive and only a bit of you tube research.

That lease got cancelled as there was a slight uplift needed for the delivery costs.

A few weeks go by with lease company and Polestar not confirming the order as they had gotten busy every day passed I was getting less confident that it was going to happen so I start looking again.

Then the car is confirmed and three weeks later mid October I take delivery of the below.

Two weeks on and I love it to bits.
It's not without flaws or glitches, and some of the functions are not live yet. So it won't really come into its own untill next year when the OTA updates roll out.

I really enjoy driving it, right foot makes me smile, one pedal driving is brilliant. The range is a bit disappointing, can't get away from that, but it's more than enough for my day to day, you just need a slightly different mind set for longer journeys.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Congratulations on your new EV! What was the lease cost, term, miles and deposit if I may ask? M3 Long Range leases start from around £510pm Inc VAT all in.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Business 24/6/10000 with paint option ~£410 a month (up from £385 when I took it out)

·
Registered
Polestar 2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus vat, 6 months up front, 10,000 annual mileage. I only really know the outline terms the accounts team take the rest on

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok thanks. Looks like the, Tesla M3 LR lease is a bit cheaper but either way welcome to the world of EVs!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I really like the look of these polestars. Volvo is making nice cars lately. What sort of range are you seeing so far?

·
Registered
Polestar 2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks. Looks like the, Tesla M3 LR lease is a bit cheaper but either way welcome to the world of EVs!
Cheers for the welcome, leases go up and down all the time. At the time I took out the Polestar it was the best deal that I could find, if I had the option for the LR then I would have taken it.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really like the look of these polestars. Volvo is making nice cars lately. What sort of range are you seeing so far?
I does not do well at all on short hops, longer trips at a sensible pace you would probably see 220-240 from a full charge, but they are recommending to charge to 80% my personal feeling is it will be 180-200 and less if you have short commute.

I will post when I have more time behind the wheel

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,296 Posts
Looks like a nice car, at some point you have to bite the bullet and I hope you enjoy it! Better to have an EV now than wait an eternity for the right deal sometimes.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like a nice car, at some point you have to bite the bullet and I hope you enjoy it! Better to have an EV now than wait an eternity for the right deal sometimes.
Parked up next to our md's Model 3 performance it holds it own for looks, a bit better from the front but the door handels and rear end of the Tesla are more pleasing. Up close the paint finish panel alignment are miles ahead of the model 3.

I am not unhappy with the Polestar it fits my current needs as well as a Model 3 would, when we come out of the COVID age I may suffer for the range not being up to point.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You've taken delivery just as the cold weather arrived. So you'll experience the least range until we come back into spring. My i3 was also an October delivery and i remember getting 90 miles of range (120ah model) and being peeved off. Then better weather arrived and the range shot up. Tell you what though, the smug feeling at 5am when your going out to find a pre warmed, de-iced car welcoming you in was a delight last winter 👍

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great to hear you avoiding some frankly crap phevs and then getting one of the best EVs out at the moment. Stick to using reliable networks like Instavolt on long journeys and you should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts