Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
279 Posts
What's the conversion from mph to kW?
I tend to work on about 3.5mph = 1kW from experience and for rough calcs.

So I'm guessing the OP has a Tour, pulling about 120kW at the start.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is a Style (yes, one of those). There was no kW display on the charger but doing the maths from my receipt gives an average of about 80kw overall. The conditions were basically perfect (warm, nearly empty battery).
It’s one of these chargers:

Also, the car displayed the charging speed in miles per minute which I’ve never seen before!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,162 Posts
I was at an Ionity yesterday evening, took on board 40kWh in 29 mins, which works out at just over 82kW as an average.

It hit the 100kW mark at the start, I wonder if VW will up it a bit in the next update to match the recently announced models with faster charging?

It was a mixed bag of charging experience yesterday, I did a 390 mile round trip. The Polar 7kW charger I connected to on arrival after I’d used 80% of my full battery from home stopped after just 1kWh and I could not get it working. That was 4+ hours charging time wasted.

Plan B was to drive to the nearest pair of Instavolt rapid chargers but found them both occupied and with another person waiting. I went and plugged into another 7kW post nearby whilst I waited, and after 10 mins one of the Instavolts freed up. I moved to it and plugged in, and shortly afterwards 2 more EVs turned up to queue.

I took enough to get me to the Ionity stations on the way back home, which is where the above picture was taken.

The queue for a nearby petrol station was something to behold as well, there was something in the water yesterday, never seen so many EVs of all sorts out and about!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Anyone else think it should switch to 'miles added per minute' when on a rapid or an ultra-rapid as the measurement of charging speed? I know we'd probably all ideally want it to just show the charging speed in kW but it seems like VW have made a deliberate choice not to do that so are unlikely to go back on it. I kind kind of see their point too, as it may not be a meaningful stat for non-EV nerds anyway.

But if they're going to do the 'miles per' measurement instead, I think mph makes sense for fast chargers, but mpm would be better for rapid and ultra-rapid chargers.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was at an Ionity yesterday evening, took on board 40kWh in 29 mins, which works out at just over 82kW as an average.

It hit the 100kW mark at the start, I wonder if VW will up it a bit in the next update to match the recently announced models with faster charging?

View attachment 145252

It was a mixed bag of charging experience yesterday, I did a 390 mile round trip. The Polar 7kW charger I connected to on arrival after I’d used 80% of my full battery from home stopped after just 1kWh and I could not get it working. That was 4+ hours charging time wasted.

Plan B was to drive to the nearest pair of Instavolt rapid chargers but found them both occupied and with another person waiting. I went and plugged into another 7kW post nearby whilst I waited, and after 10 mins one of the Instavolts freed up. I moved to it and plugged in, and shortly afterwards 2 more EVs turned up to queue.

I took enough to get me to the Ionity stations on the way back home, which is where the above picture was taken.

The queue for a nearby petrol station was something to behold as well, there was something in the water yesterday, never seen so many EVs of all sorts out and about!
3%!! I was nervous getting mine down to 18% yesterday 😂

Reactions: Tooks

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else think it should switch to 'miles added per minute' when on a rapid or an ultra-rapid as the measurement of charging speed? I know we'd probably all ideally want it to just show the charging speed in kW but it seems like VW have made a deliberate choice not to do that so are unlikely to go back on it. I kind kind of see their point too, as it may not be a meaningful stat for non-EV nerds anyway.

But if they're going to do the 'miles per' measurement instead, I think mph makes sense for fast chargers, but mpm would be better for rapid and ultra-rapid chargers.
I have a suspicion they might have quietly done that with 2.1 (at least when charging above a certain rate). I got this at a bog standard Polar 50kw this morning:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have a suspicion they might have quietly done that with 2.1 (at least when charging above a certain rate). I got this at a bog standard Polar 50kw this morning:
View attachment 145255
That's odd. I've charged on rapids and ultra-rapids since 2.1 and have never seen that before. I'll keep a closer eye out next time!

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,006 Posts

Doing the maths in your head can't really be that difficult, can it? Miles/minute X 6 and add a zero to your answer. Miles per hour. There!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Doing the maths in your head can't really be that difficult, can it? Miles/minute X 6 and add a zero to your answer. Miles per hour. There!
Not really the point :ROFLMAO: I think cars should give you the stats that make most sense without you have to perform your own calculations, however easy they may be!

Also, you're a pilot? "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. We're expecting clear conditions today, should be a smooth flight. We will be landing in New York's JFK airport in about 18,000 seconds. Prefer to know that in hours? Work it out in your heads, it's a pretty easy calculation. Enjoy the flight, and thank you for flying with b789pilot Airlines." ;)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,749 Posts
Not really the point :ROFLMAO: I think cars should give you the stats that make most sense without you have to perform your own calculations, however easy they may be!
I don't think you look at it from the point of view of a regular person. What they would be most interested in is "I'm going to take a 10min break, so expect to have 30miles more when I get back".

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I don't think you look at it from the point of view of a regular person. What they would be most interested in is "I'm going to take a 10min break, so expect to have 30miles more when I get back".
Well, I know. And I think it's easiest therefore just to multiply the miles per minute number by 10 to get that figure, than work backwards from a miles per hour number. Which is why I'd prefer miles per minute. But I accept that may be personal preference / my limited desire to do even easy mental maths :)

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,006 Posts

Also, you're a pilot? "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. We're expecting clear conditions today, should be a smooth flight. We will be landing in New York's JFK airport in about 18,000 seconds. Prefer to know that in hours? Work it out in your heads, it's a pretty easy calculation. Enjoy the flight, and thank you for flying with b789pilot Airlines." ;)
I think you miss my point. It is a simple calculation in your head to work out your charging speed from miles/minute to miles/hour.

I never met this mysterious but popular "Captain Speaking". We'd never say what time we are landing until our "top of descent" PA when we had a more accurate ETA and then it would be a time (converted from UTC to local) subject to any possible holding. We were kind enough to convert any numbers for our pax.

DIstance is in Metres or Nautical Miles. Altitude is in Feet or Metres. Velocity is in Knots or Mach. Wind speed is in Knots or Metres/second. Fuel is in Kg, Lb, Litres, US Gallons or Imperial Gallons. Then you have Dury time, flight duty time, block time and flight time. The list goes on and you can be thankful that the only serious mishap that I can recall was the Air Canada Gimli Glider.

Not quite Concorde speeds but bloody fast for a regular jet, 18,000 seconds from anywhere in the UK to JFK!!!

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,918 Posts
I was trying to work out the speed we were charging at yesterday when the app shows we were charging at 185mph.

As we were on a 50kW charger the car wasn't using the average efficiency figure to get to that number.

We were plugged in for an hour and it didn't add 185 miles.
Is a completely meaningless number to me but as I rarely use a rapid it's not a big issue

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,162 Posts
3%!! I was nervous getting mine down to 18% yesterday 😂
It was 2% when I arrived! 😉

I don’t normally cut it that fine in fairness, but I’m finding the GOM very accurate in stable conditions and stable speeds.

I even sped up quite a bit the last 15 miles before the charger as it was looking easy by then!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think you miss my point. It is a simple calculation in your head to work out your charging speed from miles/minute to miles/hour.

I never met this mysterious but popular "Captain Speaking". We'd never say what time we are landing until our "top of descent" PA when we had a more accurate ETA and then it would be a time (converted from UTC to local) subject to any possible holding. We were kind enough to convert any numbers for our pax.

DIstance is in Metres or Nautical Miles. Altitude is in Feet or Metres. Velocity is in Knots or Mach. Wind speed is in Knots or Metres/second. Fuel is in Kg, Lb, Litres, US Gallons or Imperial Gallons. Then you have Dury time, flight duty time, block time and flight time. The list goes on and you can be thankful that the only serious mishap that I can recall was the Air Canada Gimli Glider.

Not quite Concorde speeds but bloody fast for a regular jet, 18,000 seconds from anywhere in the UK to JFK!!!
I’m a bit lost. I think it should show miles per minute when plugged into a rapid charger (miles per hour when plugged into a fast charger). And while I realise it isn’t super hard to convert between the two in your head, the car showing the more useful stat in the first place so you don’t have to would obviously be preferable.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts