Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

For those who were following my purchase of an ex-demo car from Tesla, it finally arrived a couple of days ago. Firstly, wow, what a lovely car! The panel gaps and all those issues I feared, seem to be non-existent on my car and it arrived looking as though it had been cleaned/valeted, which was a pleasant surprise.

I am coming from an S4 Avant and that is no slouch, but the instant torque of the slowest Tesla would leave it in the dust.

Anyway, I have been charging the car to 80% for the first few days, and whilst I don't want to get too hung up on the stated charge, mine does seem very low. At 80% it is showing a range of 180 miles (or c.225 fully charged). It is an ex-demo but has only done 5,000 miles so this is surprising me.

Is there a possibilty this is just a battery configuration issue, or is it likely the car only has a range of that? I had imagined it would show around 250 miles equivalent when charged at 80%.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The 100% EPA rated range of the SR+ is 250 miles so your numbers seem about right. My understanding is that the range shown depends on how the car is driven in the last 30 or so miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 100% EPA rated range of the SR+ is 250 miles so your numbers seem about right. My understanding is that the range shown depends on how the car is driven in the last 30 or so miles.
Oh ok, because I have been averaging 195 wh/mile over the past ~30 miles. My range only shows around 225 at 100% (because it states 180 at 80%).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi Courboy.

If you're looking at the consumption screen (the one with the graph) then as firefax said, the estimated range is based on your last 30 miles. You can also select it to be based on your last 15 miles or 5 miles but 30 miles is generally more accurate. Either way, you have nothing to worry about and all is fine.

HOWEVER...

... if you're looking at the range figure that's next to the green battery icon in the top corner then this is based on the assumption that you consume 250wh/mile. In other words, this figure should be 250ish miles on a 100% charge. If you're getting less than that then something seems to be wrong. I can't imagine the battery has degraded by that much after just 5000 miles unless the testers were really thrashing the accelerator. Even so, there's no way they could have degraded the battery to that level. I would recommend getting this checked out.

·
Registered
17,402 Posts
Oh ok, because I have been averaging 195 wh/mile over the past ~30 miles. My range only shows around 225 at 100% (because it states 180 at 80%).
The range on the dash is based on standard, fixed EPA consumption. So if you are driving more efficiently you'll do better than this.

Best to use the trip computer which will take into account altitude and road speeds.

Rated range is a bit irrelevant.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Your car would probably show 230 miles when new at 100%. The display does change based on degradation, and 3-5% is typical year 1 degradation (don't worry, it slows down. It is steepest in first year-18months).

Put the display on %. The range estimate is just a fixed factor of 1% = 2.25 miles or whatever, so it doesn't convey you any more information than % does other than to mislead. You know full well that giving it the beans will use more and driving like a saint will use less, and in your S4 I'm sure you looked at the needle that rather to often said "E", rather than use the trip computer "range remaining" display (which was hilarious and disturbing in my Volvo - once went from "50 miles" to "--- refuel NOW" between arriving at work and leaving work a few hours later).

If you want to see a range estimate based on your driving style, go into the trip/consumption screen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's 240 EPA range for 2019, 2020 is 250.

I've got 8k on the clock now and the milage is 225 max as show on screen/app.

I've never been lower than 10% and never charged higher than 97%. Apparently the battery bricks (4 in m3) can be unbalanced and you might need to sit on 100% for a bit while it balances, but I don't bother.

I used to run %, now I run miles but it doesn't matter as you run out of both just as fast.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You need to actaully charge it to 100% to get a true reading for 100% rather than scaling up the 80% reading.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
Seems right to me and it varied from 160 to 220 mile range in 2019 SR+ I had, this depending on all the factors people tell you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's 240 EPA range for 2019, 2020 is 250.

I've got 8k on the clock now and the milage is 225 max as show on screen/app.

I've never been lower than 10% and never charged higher than 97%. Apparently the battery bricks (4 in m3) can be unbalanced and you might need to sit on 100% for a bit while it balances, but I don't bother.

I used to run %, now I run miles but it doesn't matter as you run out of both just as fast.
I had no idea the rated range for the 2019 model was less than the 2020, which is quite disappointing to hear!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I had no idea the rated range for the 2019 model was less than the 2020, which is quite disappointing to hear!
There is no difference in actual range for both models. Tesla dd a siftware update last year that increased range for all models so your car now has the same rated range as this year's model.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's the same battery, motor and parts so it goes the same distance they just recertified the car using a lower whpm.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's the same battery, motor and parts so it goes the same distance they just recertified the car using a lower whpm.
I see, that makes sense. Should the range indicator have updated to reflect this? I'm running the latest version of the software.

There is no difference in actual range for both models. Tesla dd a siftware update last year that increased range for all models so your car now has the same rated range as this year's model.
Good to know!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The other option is to navigate to your destination and keep an eye on the charge remaining figure. This seems to be pessimistic and so it tends to go up as the journey progresses.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My March 2020 SR+ has a displayed range of 180 miles at 80% so no sweat there.
It is an ICE mentality that watches the range with an eagle eye. Did you really monitor mpg in your Avant as closely?

Just drive the bugger and don't spare the horses! :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
if you want the graph to display on screen, just press the voice wheel on the right hand side of the steering wheel and say "energy".

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The display is based on the US spec not the EU spec so it will be different. As its based on the spec its fixed and is a direct proxy for the available kwh in the battery, its also the nearest thing you have to a true "energy available" meter. Using % does not do that, its just showing a slice on an unknown amount and should your battery suffer from premature degradation issues you'd never know showing %.. but some like to live in ignorance of what might be happening.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hi All

For those who were following my purchase of an ex-demo car from Tesla, it finally arrived a couple of days ago. Firstly, wow, what a lovely car! The panel gaps and all those issues I feared, seem to be non-existent on my car and it arrived looking as though it had been cleaned/valeted, which was a pleasant surprise.

I am coming from an S4 Avant and that is no slouch, but the instant torque of the slowest Tesla would leave it in the dust.

Anyway, I have been charging the car to 80% for the first few days, and whilst I don't want to get too hung up on the stated charge, mine does seem very low. At 80% it is showing a range of 180 miles (or c.225 fully charged). It is an ex-demo but has only done 5,000 miles so this is surprising me.

Is there a possibilty this is just a battery configuration issue, or is it likely the car only has a range of that? I had imagined it would show around 250 miles equivalent when charged at 80%.

Thanks
Had one for 24 hours got 180 miles out of it In winter motorway driving December.

One reason did not buy one.

The wipers annoyed me

Auto pilot was on and off like yo yo in the rain.

Was nice car

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts