Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, The Mtec experience was far from satisfactory, on my way to work on thursday I could barely see the white lines on the road, it was way too dangerous so I went online and I did a bit of research on the LED systems and I got this, received it this morning ( PRIME BABE ) :love: pictures below
IMG_20161014_115321.jpg
IMG_20161014_115338.jpg
IMG_20161014_133033.jpg

They are fanless the core is made of copper which is connected to stainless steel braided heat sinks which you can spread around, no grommets are included but the whole thing fits inside the housing and you put back the dust cap.
I waited till the sun was down and went out , I was very anxious because I really wanted this to work however all this was gone when I got in the car and powered it up, immediately a sigh of relief was released as soon as the lights came up , completely different as in day and night, my wife got in the car and as soon as we got on the road she complimented how bright the lights were, for the first time I actually felt safe driving this car at night. The pictures below will not do this kit any justice my camera is RUBBISH, I use a rugged phone because I am very clumsy and I destroyed my Samsung Note 4 so don't expect great quality pictures, I'll use my wife's iphone later and get some better ones BUT take my words for it it's absolutely AMAZING !!
IMG_20161014_225355.jpg

IMG_20161014_223800.jpg
IMG_20161014_225044.jpg

The cutoff line is a perfect match to the OEM , finally I can see the whole lane properly and the white lines are very visible now, I was worried about the glare so I had a friend of mine park his 2016 Mustang:rolleyes: and I drove on the opposite lane in a completely dark road and he said there is absolutely no glare or dazzling at all. I believe the headlights on the off side needs to be aligned in order to fine tune this but I am over the moon with this KIT.
The high beam is brilliant as well, makes such a great difference in comparison to both the OEM & Mtec.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Interesting... I'd be interested to see what the lifespan ends up being of these, as with no active cooling the driver for the LED could burn out quite quickly. Did you put the adaptor cable behind the rubber cap, or outside it in the engine bay? Also the LEDs (presumably one on each side of the strip) won't give the same beam shape as a single filament which sends light in all directions.

According to the Chenglish specs on Amazon (link) they're 40W bulbs, which means they use less power than a normal halogen bulb (55W), so should be ok.

Assuming it doesn't overheat then they should be good :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprisingly, the beam pattern is far better and more comfortable to my eyes at least than the OEM & the MTECs, it's what my wife said as well and she didn't even know I changed to LED.
The bulbs have 2 Cree LEDs with some sort of half spherical lens on top of them.
At the minute I have the heat syncs inside the housing, I have however ordered grommets, I am planning on having them outside the housing through the dust caps to maximize heat exchange.
I'll get better pictures tonight.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Looks v interesting. The driver shouldn't get particularly hot; it's likely to be a switching regulator dropping the 13V down to maybe 7 to 8 volts for 2 leds in series. This should be around 80% efficient at least, so might waste 8 watts maybe.

They seem to have managed to use a remarkably small led for so much light, it looks to be maybe shorter-but-fatter than the original tungsten elements; definitely in the same ball-park as far as size is concerned, so should manage decently sharp cutoffs, as you seem to have found.

I suspect the braided heatsink will be copper; stainless steel is a notoriously bad conductor of heat (& electricity), and the stranded s/s braiding used around e.g. brakepipes tends to jab you v nastily if you leave loose ends sticking out!

The more you can spread the braid out, the better cooling you'll get. Leds can suffer thermal runaway - as they get hotter, the resistance decreases and more current goes through, making them even hotter still. So best to avoid this, hopefully you'll be able to get the heatsinks outside any enclosed housing and into free air.

Do you get decent illumination of the verges on the side of country lanes? This is a bad mark against the standard lights in my opinion, which is why I added a fresnel lens to divert a little more light off to the sides.

What's the manufacturer name & description for these please? Have just looked on amazon but there seem to be a million similar items out there!

·
Registered
886 Posts
the OP did post a link in his message

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,709 Posts
@Chronos an excellent review.
Before I hit "buy-it-now" are these Canbus friendly?
Have you had any error messages or any DAB interference issues?
Of course these are CE marked and GM approved......? Chronos wouldn't be mad enough to risk running unproven systems that could interfere with the braking system and lead to a crash (that might then not be covered by insurance), like a case reported on gm-volt where exactly that scenario happened with an unapproved HID driver.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
As far as I know there is no requirement for CE marking on 12v DC (or AC) lamps. I have on my desk 2 halogen lamps a 12V 50 watt one without a CE mark and a 240 V 28w one. the 240 V one is marked CE. Both sold in Homebase.
HID lights are of course high voltage arc lamps and have some form of inverter and can produce serious RF noise. These I imagine come under the Low Voltage regs and need CE marking

CE Marking (CE Mark) for Low Voltage Electrical Equipment: EEC Council Directive 73/23/EEC of 19 Feb 1973

As to to GM approval well that is another story. Do they need to approve all the makes of ordinary 12v lamps that fit?

Alan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
@donald As far as I am concerned the original headlights were too dangerous for driving which is the main reason I went through this hideous trial and error process.
And since you asked, it's CE marked for all I know.
IMG_20161017_044632.jpg

GM approved..?? Reallyo_Oo_O !! The only GM approved bulbs are the ones sold by the dealer. That's it.:censored:
First thing I did when I bought this kit was bringing out a friend who drives an extremely close to the ground car and checking if I am causing any type of glare because I actually care about other people's lives not just mine....
The bulbs are 40w each and they operate well below 12v (driver's output voltage) unlike HIDs which requires 10-25k which can create some interference when poorly designed and/or installed without taking into consideration the sensitive onboard electronics, DRLs are LED already straight from the factory so no risk there.
The sole purpose of this post is to insure safe driving for all Ampera owners without risking other people's lives.
With that being said please feel free to inform us about anything that we might have missed.
Be Safe & Happy EV driving.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,709 Posts
I just wanted to caution that these things will be used against you in the event of a problem out on the roads. Doesn't matter if it is actually a better solution, lawyers will screw you, they have no interest in 'the truth'. I think you have a defensible position with the manufacturer if they are properly CE marked. Who, exactly, is the manufacturer or importer? Should be easy to get a hold of a Declaration of Conformity if one wasn't provided with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@donald I'll look into all these things and post here if I get anything new.
Thank you for the heads up and hopefully with improved vision the risk of an accident due to poor lighting will be minimal fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Great find @Chronos
I didn't think the aftermarket LED lamps were so far advanced.

The CE mark can be confused with the "China Export" mark which is very similar (I wonder why) but that one on your package looks to be correct although it costs nothing to print and the @donald is correct that the D of C will be available if it really does conform. (y)

EDIT: Just purchased a set. For £48 it is a cheap upgrade and will do a comparison against my trusty HID's which are literally night and day compared to the original supposed advanced halogens.

Reactions: Chronos

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Have also just bought a set, looks to be the identical item LED & construction-wise from a different supplier, but was on offer - rhe reduction covered the delivery so total cost £47.15 . Should arrive tomorrow, & I'll be doing a fair bit of night-time driving next w/e so will report later.

Chronos' dip-beam pics above are interesting - the road ahead is brilliantly lit, but look at the bottom left corner of the pics - the verge at very LHS is still not well lit! Imagine you're at a T-junction - you can see damn-all of what's to the sharp-left of you! Human eyes adapt to ambient light-levels, so it's quite possible that a very-well lit bit straight ahead means your eyes will de-sensitise a bit, making the stuff off to the very left as hard to see as they were with original bulbs. So it'll be interesting to see how mine work for me. I'll also try to take similar pics to the excellent ones above, and maybe it'll show the effect of my fresnel-lens mod?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@HandyAndy Thanks & best of luck with your kit, I have to say my headlights need some alignment especially the right hand side.
I see some distortion when its raining so what I did is coat the headlights with wax yesterday so water beads off straight away.
I am glad I was able to help you guys.
As I mentioned above I'll be posting pictures of the grommets once I attach them.
It'll be interesting to see what your lens will do.
So far I am really happy with the upgrade it made such a huge difference to the driving experience at night

·
Registered
2,971 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It's worth remembering that you need to notify your insurance too, as you're not replacing like with like, and therefore it counts as a modification.
This is an important point and well worth mentioning again. If anyone has reported this to your insurance company did your premiums go up?

1 - 20 of 240 Posts