Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

221 - 240 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone have any views or experience on these? They have three LED elements arranged in a triangle, but of course no "straight ahead" output. Comments welcome:

7P LED 9012.JPG

·
Registered
106 Posts
Irrelevant, as it's not available in Europe.

Wrong. VOSA / DVSA states:

Dazzle can also be caused if the lamps are dirty or aimed too high due to, for example, carrying rear seat passengers and/or heavy items in the boot. Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems. The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the [MoT] test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

Like I said, the only reason you get away with it is because there are too many sloppy MoT stations, which don't perform the correct checks. All these retro-fits should be MoT failures and cars with them should be stopped and fined on the road. They are a menace, in my experience.

I would be the first to fit better headlamps if there was a satisfactory, legal way to do so - the winter conditions here are far more dangerous than anything you get in the UK!
We have projector lights on our cars,my passat had hid’s fitted from factory.
If you put hid’s into a standard headlight the pattern is completely wrong,it just splatters the light everywhere.
I used to be a mechanic and I’ve stripped projection headlight units apart many times to repair them,led’s work fine as they have a corrected beam output from inside the headlight.
It cannot output a wrong beam,I’m willing to power up my old headlights to show everyone this.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
We have projector lights on our cars,my passat had hid’s fitted from factory.
If you put hid’s into a standard headlight the pattern is completely wrong,it just splatters the light everywhere.
I used to be a mechanic and I’ve stripped projection headlight units apart many times to repair them,led’s work fine as they have a corrected beam output from inside the headlight.
It cannot output a wrong beam,I’m willing to power up my old headlights to show everyone this.
My Ampera has just had another MOT and passed. It has LED lamps.
The past three MOT's it has had HID's and always passed.
The original halogens are dangerous, there is no other way to describe them. Even the cheapest "shopping trolley" leaves its dip on when on main, projector lamps have only one filament.

I take it to an MOT test centre rather than a dealer as I do not wish to pay for marginal fails where a mechanic is looking for work.
They fail on safety points but will pass and advise where marginal. No comment was made regarding the headlamps.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz

·
Registered
106 Posts
The original halogens are dangerous, there is no other way to describe them. Even the cheapest "shopping trolley" leaves its dip on when on main, projector lamps have only one filament.

I take it to an MOT test centre rather than a dealer as I do not wish to pay for marginal fails where a mechanic is looking for work.
They fail on safety points but will pass and advise where marginal. No comment was made regarding the headlamps.

[/

0C594F3F-8C5F-48CA-9368-F413298B57D9.jpeg
08D67974-ABCD-41A2-8AA1-6495D21854EF.jpeg
31ACCA0F-B69F-4CE3-A486-5508B43D1F5A.jpeg
6E0C7186-64C5-40B8-8E3F-61D3559FD91B.jpeg
31ACCA0F-B69F-4CE3-A486-5508B43D1F5A.jpeg
6E0C7186-64C5-40B8-8E3F-61D3559FD91B.jpeg

·
Registered
106 Posts
That’s supposed to be 4 pics of a projector headlight for anyone who wants to see it.
The first is an ampera and the others are from a W8 Passat headlight.
Same internals.

·
Registered
370 Posts
FWIW my Amp has just passed its MOT at Bellingers. LED bulbs sailed through no problem. I suspect they simply check the beam output looks right & cutoff isn't too high, or something like that. :)
That is good news! So, please remind us what you fitted?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi, just had my 6th year service and MOT at Thurlow Nunn Norwich and I can confirm that they still have trained Ampera Technicians there.

I fitted the MAXGTRS 6000w LED bulbs earlier in the year and can confirm that it passed the MOT without any problems.

I also mentioned that I had the Service Steering Lock problem and they are going to replace it with a new Module and Software update and that this will be covered under the Lifetime Warranty scheme, they said it may take a while to come through as it has to come from Germany or possibly the US.

Service was £249.00 + MOT £27.49 plus I opted for the Brake oil change at another £39 so about £327.00 in total... I realise that it would be far cheaper to do some of these jobs yourself however I have zero mechanical aptitude....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi, just had my 6th year service and MOT at Thurlow Nunn Norwich and I can confirm that they still have trained Ampera Technicians there.

I fitted the MAXGTRS 6000w LED bulbs earlier in the year and can confirm that it passed the MOT without any problems.

I also mentioned that I had the Service Steering Lock problem and they are going to replace it with a new Module and Software update and that this will be covered under the Lifetime Warranty scheme, they said it may take a while to come through as it has to come from Germany or possibly the US.

Service was £249.00 + MOT £27.49 plus I opted for the Brake oil change at another £39 so about £327.00 in total... I realise that it would be far cheaper to do some of these jobs yourself however I have zero mechanical aptitude....
How did you get on with the led headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
@Chris O’Neill

The LED bulbs are a lot better than the standard lights, I least I can now see when the roads is wet and you can also see the verges whereas the old standard bulbs I felt like I was in tunnel vision, on dipped the distance although better than the standard bulbs is still not as far as I would like, however on full beam its fine..

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Wow this thread has grown a lot since the last time I checked it, nearly 4 years since i have installed these LEDs and they have been performing really well, MOTs passed without Any comments, insurance couldn't care less about them.
Safe motoring (y)

·
Registered
387 Posts

Do these bulbs just replace the originals, or do you have to do some conversion work? I think it's the H4 type for the Ampera - I'll must check it's a long time since I looked at the handbook.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's not H4, it's a 9012. Single filament with an active shutter in the light to go between dipped and main beam.
Hi H8ten

Thanks for the update on type.

Can't find those bulbs (MAXGTRS 6000w LED) in that form though. I would still need to know if they are a direct replacement or are all the bits in the box?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't answer for these specific bulbs, but seriously Graham, if you go for these and they need a small amount of cutting in the dust cover, it'd be worth it. I had to make a hole in my dust covers for the HIDs, but they made such a difference. All it cost was a fiver for an extra wide drill bit and 20 mins. And there was no prob at mot time last month.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't answer for these specific bulbs, but seriously Graham, if you go for these and they need a small amount of cutting in the dust cover, it'd be worth it. I had to make a hole in my dust covers for the HIDs, but they made such a difference. All it cost was a fiver for an extra wide drill bit and 20 mins. And there was no prob at mot time last month.
I bought these recently https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XXSPTHD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had almost made my mind up to go with HID's but then thought as these were so much cheaper and claimed to have integrated can-bus chip had to be worth a go.

I'm glad I did. I previously had an LED set in, but these are in a different league. The entire wiring assembly fits inside the dust cover with no issues and no warning on the dash like I had with my last LED set from Amazon. Alignment was easy, and the brightness is significantly better that the last set. I'd say it's at least 50%, if not twice as bright.

221 - 240 of 240 Posts