Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
241 - 260 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I have recently converted my halogen headlight bulbs to LED ones on my auris. But the left headlight's lighting pattern seems to be quite off compared to the right.
Both sides LED are at the same position inside the lens, (3 and 9 o'clock)
I have seen other guys headlight projections on the wall with LED's and are actually okay. What might be wrong? Thank you in advance.
Here are some visuals
https://imageshack.com/i/poIJDgJzj
https://imageshack.com/i/poOgQ89Dj
https://imageshack.com/i/pozYz3pzj // In this image, lower left portion of the road is clearly saturated with light, where very little of it gets to the road ahaed.

-Ege

The correct light pattern for my specific make and model should be like this, I guess.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Yup that LHS lamp deffo looks wrong. Should be v similar to the right one, except shifted across a bit. I think there are 2 possible problems, and you might have both at the same time.

1) 95% probablity; the lhs pattern looks to me as if it's been shrunk horizontally, and stretched vertically. Most LED bulbs I've seen are a flat blade, with a LED section on each side. If these are stacked one above the other inside the lamp housing, you'll get the effect seen, as it's like having 2 bulbs, one above the other. If you have these arranged side-by-side, they're at at the same vertical height so the projected beams are both at the same height, and the slight horizontal separation means the 2 half-beams are shifted slightly in the horizontal direction. So I think it's 95% likely that you have got the RHS bulb correctly fitted with the blade vertical, and the LHS one, despite your assurance, is actually blade-flat. On some of these bulbs you can rotate the bladed central bit inside the 3-pronged clippy-bit (or whatever fitting you have), so it's possible to start off with it correctly planned out, but accidentally over-rotate during fitting & end up wrong. Some bulbs you can't adjust them, so have to adopt extreme measures like filing bits off a prong to allow you to use a different rotation that's 120 degrees altered!

2) 5% probability is you've done what I've done with my 3-bladed fitting; found it hard to get the bulb into the v tight space, and only managed to get 2 prongs inside the housing. This them shifts the 2 sets of LEDs a long way off, and the projected beam in my case had a black V on the road in front of me - clearly wrong! But I don't think this is your problem, as the beam is generally centred about where you'd expect, and it's not missing funny-shaped chunks/stripes or anything like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your quick reply Andy. Mine actually enables you to rotate the LED around its center when its mounted in. However, I tried it and got no satisfactory results. I also checked both LED's and made sure the cables were coming out from the same side (in my case, both of the wires come out from 6 o clock.)

Your second point might be the case. Since in my situation, even with my slinky fingers, it is really hard to get a good grip on the led bulb and assure its totally in place.

I wish I could attach my video where I'm adjusting the bulb, rotating it and so on. But the forum apparently finds it too big or bad format. But the pattern gets worse as I rotate it counterclockwise.

Tonight I will try switching the LED's around and see if the distortion in the patterns shifts to the right.

Edit:
here is the youtube link.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera MY13
7 Posts
Hi to all ! i notice all sorts of led lights fitted in cars including the ones on here fitted in an ampera! iv like us all been blinded by very bad designed led headlights! never never buy multi sided or domed ie with a plastic blob on the led ! these type of leds flare as they act like a flash bulb in the headlight and dont mimic the original bulbs and are a danger to other drivers! so here are the correct shape ones that are best to fit ! notice the style of them ! single centre led and recessed to stop flaring all over the place! they must be fitted with the cut out recess pointing up the way ie 12 o'clock that way the light hits the top of headlight reflector and down onto the road and not blinding other drivers! fit in the lights the way they are in the pics aiming the open recess to 12 o'clock i must stress this point ! hope this helps as i had to find this out by trial and error! cheers to all!

Attachments

·
Registered
Vauxhall Ampera MY13
7 Posts
Hi to all ! i notice all sorts of led lights fitted in cars including the ones on here fitted in an ampera! iv like us all been blinded by very bad designed led headlights! never never buy multi sided or domed ie with a plastic blob on the led ! these type of leds flare as they act like a flash bulb in the headlight and dont mimic the original bulbs and are a danger to other drivers! so here are the correct shape ones that are best to fit ! notice the style of them ! single centre led and recessed to stop flaring all over the place! they must be fitted with the cut out recess pointing up the way ie 12 o'clock that way the light hits the top of headlight reflector and down onto the road and not blinding other drivers! fit in the lights the way they are in the pics aiming the open recess to 12 o'clock i must stress this point ! hope this helps as i had to find this out by trial and error! cheers to all!
p.s the make is KATUR ! do a google search for vendors think i got mine on amzon or ebay!p.p.s make sure you get the correct fitting type for the ampera those ones are out my saab to show you the correct shape of light you want! cheers!

·
Premium Member
Electron Summit White NK13...110k 92.7 and rising
248 Posts
I bought these recently https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XXSPTHD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had almost made my mind up to go with HID's but then thought as these were so much cheaper and claimed to have integrated can-bus chip had to be worth a go.

I'm glad I did. I previously had an LED set in, but these are in a different league. The entire wiring assembly fits inside the dust cover with no issues and no warning on the dash like I had with my last LED set from Amazon. Alignment was easy, and the brightness is significantly better that the last set. I'd say it's at least 50%, if not twice as bright.
So I followed up on this and bought a pair of these LEDs branded KOYOSO and yes, I agree the improvement was immediately noticeable. A lot whiter - sharper cutoff and as you say all the wiring fits neatly inside the headlamp enclosure and you can re-fit the cap without chopping bits out of it. Also, no apparent effects on the CANBUS, BUT.... since fitting them, I have noticed that when I do the morning 'warm up' before leaving, the sidelights have stopped coming on. The warm-up still works, but no external indication. Anyone else found this with LEDs? Or am I seeing some other co-incidental effect? I've not done the control yet of replacing the original bulbs.

One other thing, when I changed the bulbs I noticed that one of the bulb holder plugs was showing signs of heat stress (burning) where the yellow wire went into the plug. I replaced the plug of course but just wondering whether some of the poor light quality we all experience is due to voltage drop as these wires age and get hot. They rather thin. The LEDs seem to draw less power on the whole, even with their fancy controllers.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The only thoughts I have are these are rated 60W. That's quite a lot, as most of the 30W per bulb will be dissipated right at the back, and if you have replaced the original circular black hole-covers then the air through the fan may not be able to circulate at all well, so possibly that bit's getting overheated. With the original filament halogens, a lot of the power is projected forwards out of the lamp as infra-red warmth, so you have a rather different balance of what gets hot & where.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
The only thoughts I have are these are rated 60W. That's quite a lot, as most of the 30W per bulb will be dissipated right at the back, and if you have replaced the original circular black hole-covers then the air through the fan may not be able to circulate at all well, so possibly that bit's getting overheated. With the original filament halogens, a lot of the power is projected forwards out of the lamp as infra-red warmth, so you have a rather different balance of what gets hot & where.
Good point @HandyAndy - I will be checking the housing and cover temperature. But the wiring was cooked before I made the change - should have made that clearer - sorry.

·
Registered
372 Posts
So I followed up on this and bought a pair of these LEDs branded KOYOSO and yes, I agree the improvement was immediately noticeable. A lot whiter - sharper cutoff and as you say all the wiring fits neatly inside the headlamp enclosure and you can re-fit the cap without chopping bits out of it. Also, no apparent effects on the CANBUS, BUT.... since fitting them, I have noticed that when I do the morning 'warm up' before leaving, the sidelights have stopped coming on. The warm-up still works, but no external indication. Anyone else found this with LEDs? Or am I seeing some other co-incidental effect? I've not done the control yet of replacing the original bulbs.

One other thing, when I changed the bulbs I noticed that one of the bulb holder plugs was showing signs of heat stress (burning) where the yellow wire went into the plug. I replaced the plug of course but just wondering whether some of the poor light quality we all experience is due to voltage drop as these wires age and get hot. They rather thin. The LEDs seem to draw less power on the whole, even with their fancy controllers.
Interesting regarding the running lights. I completely forgot about can-bus issues as it hasn't triggered once, whereas my last set of LED bulbs threw an error constantly. However I did notice one day that one of the DRL's was not lit whilst driving (saw from reflection in vehicle in front). When I got home I left the car on to check and indeed one side was lit but the other not. Turned car off fiddled with wiring to the DRL (not headlight bulb) and tried again - it worked perfectly since. I assumed it was either a poor connection or a software issue.
However I can confirm the preheat triggers the lights as usual so I don't know what has caused yours not to light up.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,733 Posts
Interesting regarding the running lights. I completely forgot about can-bus issues as it hasn't triggered once, whereas my last set of LED bulbs threw an error constantly. However I did notice one day that one of the DRL's was not lit whilst driving (saw from reflection in vehicle in front). When I got home I left the car on to check and indeed one side was lit but the other not. Turned car off fiddled with wiring to the DRL (not headlight bulb) and tried again - it worked perfectly since. I assumed it was either a poor connection or a software issue.
However I can confirm the preheat triggers the lights as usual so I don't know what has caused yours not to light up.
I found out and was able to predict it sometimes when only one DRL would illuminate.
The headlights have been switched on automatically due to darkness or a tunnel etc.
Daylight returns and the headlights switch off automatically and only one DRL comes on. I saw this too by the reflection on the car ahead.
How I got them both to come back on, without a restart, was to shift to Park and then back to Drive and both DRLs came on. A weird glitch that never recreated itself at the dealership.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I found out and was able to predict it sometimes when only one DRL would illuminate.
The headlights have been switched on automatically due to darkness or a tunnel etc.
Daylight returns and the headlights switch off automatically and only one DRL comes on. I saw this too by the reflection on the car ahead.
How I got them both to come back on, without a restart, was to shift to Park and then back to Drive and both DRLs came on. A weird glitch that never recreated itself at the dealership.
Wow interesting - there is a tunnel on the route that it occurred so this must indeed be a software bug. Strange indeed.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Hmm, I had an advisory from Bellingers at my last service that the LHS light unit was defective as a DRL had failed. I switched the car on, DRLs were fine. Showed it to them & they said "Oh well" or words to that effect. maybe there's a random-number-dealer-repair-easy-profit-generator bit of code in there? Or maybe the Gremlins want their winter fuel bonus? ;)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,733 Posts
Something I will mention, not sure if everyone notices, the DRLs will not operate when in Park. Whether selecting Park and then Drive when one of them is not working gives some controller a kick up the backside I don't know.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Warm-up sidelight indication problem sorted - I didn't have the headlight switch on "Auto" - Doh! Interestingly, mine had an observation on the last MOT that one of the DRLs was out (not a fail apparently) , but when I got home it was fine, and I've not noticed a problem since. Still very happy with these Koyoso LEDs and no probs with heating (I know - it's not summer).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Resurrecting this thread it appears a new led more suited to projector lights is now available , did anyone in the uk buy and fit them available on Amazon in uk and us and it appears they are popular in the USA

9012/HIR2 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Size 80W 16,000LM Per Pair CanBus Ready, AUXITO HIR2 9012 LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2

·
Registered
162 Posts
Resurrecting this thread it appears a new led more suited to projector lights is now available , did anyone in the uk buy and fit them available on Amazon in uk and us and it appears they are popular in the USA

9012/HIR2 LED Headlight Bulbs Mini Size 80W 16,000LM Per Pair CanBus Ready, AUXITO HIR2 9012 LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kit, 6500K Xenon White, Pack of 2
Is that listing from fleabay ?
I’ve fitted LED’s two years ago,they aren’t the best but a lot better than the stock bulbs.

241 - 260 of 264 Posts