Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a reliable, reasonably priced Dash Camera that has lasted more than 12 months before going on the blink.

If so, what was the make and model :)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yup. I've had multiple Mini0805s over the last few years and they've never failed. They are small, discrete, don't overheat and have their own display (which can be handy). If you install it yourself you'll need a piggyback fuse but it's quite easy.

See DashCamTalk for the best source of info available.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
My Mini0801 died.

The reason that many of them die is that they have Li-Ion battery packs in them, and they get cooked when the car is left in the sun. You need to find one that has a supercapacitor in it instead of li-Ion battery.

I've settled on the Viofo A119 (in our Volvo V70) and A119S (in the Leaf). The one in the Volvo has been in for 18 months with no problems.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mini 0805 for me. We have two of them - one has been installed for over two years now without missing a beat. Tiny little things - can be hidden entirely behind the rear-view mirror.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,469 Posts
My Mini0801 died.

The reason that many of them die is that they have Li-Ion battery packs in them, and they get cooked when the car is left in the sun. You need to find one that has a supercapacitor in it instead of li-Ion battery.

I've settled on the Viofo A119 (in our Volvo V70) and A119S (in the Leaf). The one in the Volvo has been in for 18 months with no problems.
I have been wanting to install cameras too but had like fears. Worthwhile discussion for me.

Interesting about batteries, never thought there would be ultracap cameras around.

.... putting Li-ion cells into a car, I mean, what were they thinking!!... ;)

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
There are a few YouTubers who review dashcams. This guy lives near me and has been working his way through the various makes and models for years. I watched a few as he uses local roads for tests and that gave an extra interest. As he has been doing this some time he is now able to compare them very accurately and if one passes his scrutiny its probably worth a closer look.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The irony of suggesting avoiding li-ion on this forum wasn't lost on me :)

However, you well know the environmental conditions encountered inside a car's cabin in summer, even in this country, and these cameras use the nastiest of cheap nasty pouch cells. I replaced the one in my mini 0801 but the new one was as bad within a couple of weeks. A near accident on one of the rare occasions it was working prompted me to replace it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
One other point to make - make sure that whatever camera you get offers the option to fit a polarising filter - this is very important to make sure you don't just get a video full of dashboard reflection. The Viofos have a neat clip-on filter.

Look for YouTube videos, you'll often notice certain cameras look better than others. I often notice A119 videos for looking good.

Not the absolute best, but good and at a decent price.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all that contribute to this thread. After a lot of reviewing and forum checking, I decided to go for a
Street Guardian SGGCX2 2018 (v4). Hopefully will have it by the middle of next week.

·
24,469 Posts
One other point to make - make sure that whatever camera you get offers the option to fit a polarising filter - this is very important to make sure you don't just get a video full of dashboard reflection. The Viofos have a neat clip-on filter.

Look for YouTube videos, you'll often notice certain cameras look better than others. I often notice A119 videos for looking good.

Not the absolute best, but good and at a decent price.
I am looking at your advice and I am liking what I see.

Can you tell me if you know of the GPS module? So this replaces the window mount and adds GPS functionality, it seems, but I can't see any information on what that functionality is. Can you do things like watermark the picture with speed and location?

·
Registered
431 Posts
I find with dash cams you get what you pay for.

Got a Thinkware F750 in my car (front and rear cameras) and it’s OK but not brilliant compared to the Blackvues I will now only fit, got a 4 year old pair in SWMBO’s car that are still working perfectly and got 9 in the trucks at work, these are left on 24/7/365 and apart from unplugging them one a fortnight or so until they power down then plugging them back in again (otherwise sometimes the wifi drops out) they are also perfect.

Tried a few cheapies and not so cheapies too: Smart Witness... expensive and shite recording quality, a couple of £20 ones from the garage... also shite recording quality.

·
24,469 Posts
I really think we're past the point where this should be even a discussion now.

All cars should be fitted with permanently recording GPS cameras that will then work to store any high-G events, contacts with the car, or even near misses by proximity (key-ing vandalism or whatever) and/or at least a standard interface (electrical and mechanical) that a cameras can take power, GPS position, speed, etc, from the car.

We have moved on now to a society where the people, who wanted to keep a private life private, have lost. Cameras everywhere that usually work to your disfavour in any road traffic 'offence' situations. Best to have your own cameras for your own evidence of accidents, malfeasance, etc..

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have the GPS module on both of our dashcams.

It watermarks the video with speed and lat/long, updated once per second. There are (free) pieces of dashcam software that will read that info off and display a moving map display alongside your video.

E-gizmo is not wrong - you get what you pay for which is why I said that the A119 cameras are not the absolute best - Various Thinkware and Blackvue cameras are undoubtedly better in one way or another and may be more reliable over time. In my research I simply found that the A119 series seemed to offer the best price/performance ratio.

As you say donald, it's insane to drive without a dashcam these days. A friend of mine suffered a bump that was not his fault - the other party changed their story and it ended up being 50/50 by the insurance company. He bought a dashcam soon after, having realised that the price of a dashcam was far less than that bump cost him.

I'll put up a more recent video from one of the A119 cameras soon - here's an example of GPS output/speed on my old mini 0801 (and an example why you want a dashcam - if he hadn't have corrected the first loss of control he'd have hit me regardless of what I did. Listen to the audio and you'll hear him hit the barrier):

·
Registered
687 Posts
Here's one of me getting annoyed at two bus drivers blocking the road (and the pedestrian crossing) to have a chat (yes, it was clear in front of the bus that I was behind).

Also bonus E-type.

This if off the Viofo A119 with GPS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts