Votes: 11 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my GSCE project that I have spent the last 6 months on. The product is basically a hook that you attach to your exterior wall near your home charging station, you are able to wrap the charging cable around the hook preventing the cable from touching the ground and picking up dirt and mud (and lying in puddles). I would appreciate if you could complete the poll above and also leave some feedback as well. I have attached some photos of the final product. Many thanks.
1584208835524.png

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks nice design but what were your design considerations. Did you do research beforehand? how does it fit on the wall? Will it take the weight of our cables. What will it be made from? Is this a prototype (3D printed everything is now!) Why does it light up blue...its obviously got some power there, I assume it is a small solar charger ;-) I like that. Is it finished yet - somewhere to lock in the plug underneath would be great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks nice design but what were your design considerations. Did you do research beforehand? how does it fit on the wall? Will it take the weight of our cables. What will it be made from? Is this a prototype (3D printed everything is now!) Why does it light up blue...its obviously got some power there, I assume it is a small solar charger ;-) I like that. Is it finished yet - somewhere to lock in the plug underneath would be great.
Thanks for the reply, yes I have done loads of research considering all the factors you have mentioned I just didn't want to bore everyone with a load of text and testing. The part that lights up is actually glow in the dark epoxy resin, and this is so you are able to see the product even in the dark (reducing hazards etc.). The product fits onto the wall via a polished metal sheet (hard to explain but i'll post photos tomorrow of the hook actually attached to the wall).

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,317 Posts
I love the lighting up bit!

Might I suggest that you round off the top corners a little? That would prevent scratching your hands or cutting the cables. I don't think that would reduce the sculptural effect too much.

Certainly beats the pressed stainless steel garden tool hook that I currently have.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the lighting up bit!

Might I suggest that you round off the top corners a little? That would prevent scratching your hands or cutting the cables. I don't think that would reduce the sculptural effect too much.

Certainly beats the pressed stainless steel garden tool hook that I currently have.

Good luck with it!
Thanks for the feedback! , I will take your points into consideration and develop the product some more

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes I have done loads of research considering all the factors you have mentioned I just didn't want to bore everyone with a load of text and testing. The part that lights up is actually glow in the dark epoxy resin, and this is so you are able to see the product even in the dark (reducing hazards etc.). The product fits onto the wall via a polished metal sheet (hard to explain but i'll post photos tomorrow of the hook actually attached to the wall).
I'm not sure about being glow in the dark. It's a cool idea but might attract some unwanted attention. Some units have lights on them that are on all the time which is bad enough, you get people wondering over to look.

I installed a motion triggered light where I charge. That also tends to scare off any interested passers by. Covered the light on the Rolec but couldn't stop the lights on the Leaf from flashing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure about being glow in the dark. It's a cool idea but might attract some unwanted attention. Some units have lights on them that are on all the time which is bad enough, you get people wondering over to look.

I installed a motion triggered light where I charge. That also tends to scare off any interested passers by. Covered the light on the Rolec but couldn't stop the lights on the Leaf from flashing.
Thanks, the sensor would be a good idea

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
What I really want is a rain cover so that when I plug in the handle isn't all wet. Keyfob opened charge port on the car too!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What I really want is a rain cover so that when I plug in the handle isn't all wet. Keyfob opened charge port on the car too!
That's actually what I was thinking of doing next. But yeh great idea thanks !

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
81 Posts
Great idea, given house furniture perhaps give options for a white, black, grey or metal finish. Rounded corners would be a great idea as would a small over socket roof.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Looks well designed

considering what I designed at gcse I think the main Qs will all be around your thought processes

well done though

I like

I’d be worried of bumping into it though with those sharp corners (if kids are running around on the drive)

JJ

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Covered the light on the Rolec but couldn't stop the lights on the Leaf from flashing.
On the rare occasions when I have to charge outdoors, I usually cover the dashboard lights with a cloth.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts