Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why it it just below legs of front seat passenger?
is it an indication that driving with EV car is more dangerous ? batteries can trigger fire ?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,386 Posts
Depends on where you are?!?!!

Some European countries still have a legal requirement of carrying fire extinguisher in vehicles.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
You'll fail in either case - those extinguishers are about as effective as urinating on an ICE fire although I wouldn't recommend trying it on an EV fire.
The reason that the extinguisher MUST be on the passenger side is that if it comes loose it can roll behind the pedals. I had this happen to a friend approaching a sharp bend at 70 MPH - he couldn't press the brake pedal down and went straight on before going over a 10m drop. Fortunately he survived although the car a bit of a state.

·
Registered
16,781 Posts
It depends. I see loads of cars stopped before a proper fire has started. There's a chance you can stop it if you act quickly.

Also, if it delays a major fire enough for the emergency services, or to get people out that's good.

I carry one, but sods law it's probably in the wrong car...

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
There's a chance you can stop it if you act quickly.
The key is to remove the source of the heat quickly, in which case there is no substitute for lots of water. AFFF and dry powder have little effect, with the latter often having "gone solid" by the time people get around to using it. Dry powder extinguishers in car really should be checked and "shaken" or turned on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
Fire extinguishers are handy, after all you never know when you’re going to come across a Vauxhall Zafira...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,435 Posts
Fire extinguishers in cars are mandated in other countries for the purpose of putting out other people's fires, not your own.

If your car is in flames, run away. Someone can then bring theirs, from their car which is not in flames and from which an extinguisher can be safely removed and used.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Fire extinguishers are handy, after all you never know when you’re going to come across a Vauxhall Zafira...
That's why I carry a can of diesel (any fuel will do) in the back of my EV .........;)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,435 Posts
That's why I carry a can of diesel (any fuel will do) in the back of my EV .........;)
Sorry, no, you are NOT allowed to throw that over a Zafira on fire!!

;)

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
The owners would be very grateful ....... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts