Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a potentially innovative use of TouchID for iPhone 5s and upcoming iPhone 6 owners with the Tesla app for iOS:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/20/tesla-to-allow-iphone-to-start-model-s-without-keyfobs-with-v6-0-update/

Now I don't have a Model S (yet) but while the fob is a nicely designed 'key', I'm not sure I'd be keen on carrying it about when it has no keyring and its plastic shell will get scratched by my other keys. I know there are aftermarket neoprene fob keyring holders (Tesla use these themselves) but that's not the same.

Anyway without getting off-topic, I do always have my iPhone with me and being able to operate the car from it without a key would be fantastic. In fact, by using TouchID - if that's the case - it would be more secure than a key fob!

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
tesla gave me two neopreane covers with the keys but I agree its a shame to hide the keys in them.

I wonder if the connection will use something other 3G given the crap O2 coverage in the UK not sure I want to rely on getting my car going on the cell phone coverage or lack of it

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tesla gave me two neopreane covers with the keys but I agree its a shame to hide the keys in them.

I wonder if the connection will use something other 3G given the crap O2 coverage in the UK not sure I want to rely on getting my car going on the cell phone coverage or lack of it
I expect they'd use Bluetooth LE (Bluetooth 4) to interface with the car at short range, the same way iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite will liase with newer compatible Macs. It should be both efficient and convenient if that's the case.

Flat iPhone battery suddenly becomes much more stressful.
Just plug it in when you get in the car. Oh... wait.

I think this would open up a world of interesting possibilities between two smart devices which people use every day. The Tesla app has the possibility of going from strength to strength.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I suppose its not a bad idea but the prospect of a flat battery on your phone could be an issue, for me carrying the fob is no issue at all, its only a piece of plastic at the end of the day, I would only be worried if the car itself got scratched, I am privacy minded too and I am not happy with cell phones tying themselves in this way, would read the terms and conditions of the app very closely.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose its not a bad idea but the prospect of a flat battery on your phone could be an issue, for me carrying the fob is no issue at all, its only a piece of plastic at the end of the day
I'm already concerned about flat phone batteries, which is why I try to ensure it's plugged in whenever I'm stationary. If my battery ever dies, it's only at the end of the day when I'm already home and probably about to go to bed. A flat battery on my phone is probably less likely than losing my key or fob.

I am privacy minded too and I am not happy with cell phones tying themselves in this way, would read the terms and conditions of the app very closely.
Out of sincere interest, what potential privacy concerns do you foresee? Based on the surmised implementation (before we know specific details) I don't see any concerns from a privacy perspective. Certainly no more than the Tesla app should already warrant, given that it already interfaces with your car to share data with the phone.

From a security perspective, this implementation is a step up from using a fob which anybody could steal or find and use to gain entry to - or drive - your car. In my highly fictitious example, rich kids couldn't take their parents' Model S on a joy ride if said parents kept the fobs locked in a safe and used their iPhone's to operate the car. Assuming they didn't give the kids access to the safe and they hadn't set their kids fingerprint up on TouchID.

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
If someone wanted to steal my car (which, let's be honest, is just a replaceable thing) I would much rather they stole my key fob than my phone AND MY THUMB.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If someone wanted to steal my car (which, let's be honest, is just a replaceable thing) I would much rather they stole my key fob than my phone AND MY THUMB.
Good news for you Edd - your thumb would be useless without a pulse. TouchID only works with a live finger. It's secure. Google it if you like.

I do hope there is some extra security such as Touch ID or a PIN number required
TouchID replaces a PIN for unlocking your phone because it's more secure and more convenient. While having both is undoubtedly even more secure, it's also less convenient and pretty much renders this use case pointless when you may as well just have your fob in your pocket.

Your fob (or the car key that preceded it) doesn't require a PIN or a thumb print to open or start your car. I'm not sure why is it necessary for your phone to have layer upon layer of security when it's already an improvement on what you have.

Why would you want a fingerprint and PIN?

·
Super Moderator
7,507 Posts
Good news for you Edd - your thumb would be useless without a pulse. TouchID only works with a live finger. It's secure. Google it if you like.
Haha that's good to know, thanks.

I feel sorry for the people in the lab who have to test that it doesn't work with non-living fingers..... :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha that's good to know, thanks.

I feel sorry for the people in the lab who have to test that it doesn't work with non-living fingers..... :(
Indeed.

Also, it'll take any part of the body... You could use your elbow, nose, or something else. Choose what body part you want to risk. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts