Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Ampera died at the local recycling centre, of all places, and I haven't seen it since that day in July.

The RAC recovered it to the local Vauxhall main dealer where a faulty main battery assembly was diagnosed. The dealer requested the part number for a replacement from Vauxhall and, three months later, they are still waiting.

I have escalated a case within Vauxhall Customer Service. However, as the 8 year Voltec warranty expires next month, I'm starting to worry it could end badly. If Vauxhall won't replace the battery under warranty, the car would have to be written off.

Now this is pure speculation, but is it possible that Vauxhall are no longer able to source a genuine main battery assembly? I would guess this is the equivalent part for the Chevrolet Volt and it appears to be no longer available: 2011-2014 Chevrolet Volt Battery Assembly 20979876 | GM Parts Center

Quick poll - has anyone else needed to have a Ampera main battery replaced?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
That is dreadful service. I would expect them to have a battery in mainland Europe spares, so makes no sense why it has not been repaired by now. The fault was before the warranty expired, so I wouldn't worry about that. Have they given you a courtesy car?

I would write a formal complaint to Vauxhall and say if they don't fix your car within (say) 2 more weeks you want an equivalent replacement Ampera. You may want to ask CA for advise too.

BTW I think access to the Volt battery was restricted so that may be why it isn't available online.

Reactions: Mocha and h8ten

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No courtesy car, although not really needed. Lucky to be working from home, otherwise I'd have pushed for one. Agreed about the dreadful service - nothing actioned and zero communication for weeks until Vauxhall management got involved recently. Hopefully we'll have a way forward next week.

Thanks for the helpful info and advice @proddick

·
Registered
199 Posts
My car was with vauxhall for about 3 months getting diagnosed and fixed. I was getting nowhere on the phone to Vauxhall customer care. I then got onto their Twitter help desk and things really started to get sorted. After waiting over a month for a courtesy car I got one within a few days. Communication was excellent from thereon in. Good luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have an ongoing dispute with Accor hotels over two refunds which I am due but they won't pay - head office and hte local hotel each claim it is the other which should pay it.

There is absolutely no question that I'm wrong yet I can't get it resolved.

I've been told by a few people now that Twitter is the place to get stuff fixed. I'll trry it in the next couple of days.

Certainly worth remembering for Vx.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My car was with vauxhall for about 3 months getting diagnosed and fixed. I was getting nowhere on the phone to Vauxhall customer care. I then got onto their Twitter help desk and things really started to get sorted. After waiting over a month for a courtesy car I got one within a few days. Communication was excellent from thereon in. Good luck.
Seems we are in an age that lots of businesses only take customer service seriously when customers start highlighting their lack of communication on social media.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kept the Twitter option in my back pocket as a last resort. Hopefully won't need it now as escalating to the Vauxhall Customer Service manager seems to have worked. A high level engineering manager has contacted the dealer service team and is guiding them through the process. Turns out the battery assembly is NEVER replaced. Instead, the car is usually taken to Luton and the battery repaired by Vauxhall.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I kept the Twitter option in my back pocket as a last resort. Hopefully won't need it now as escalating to the Vauxhall Customer Service manager seems to have worked. A high level engineering manager has contacted the dealer service team and is guiding them through the process. Turns out the battery assembly is NEVER replaced. Instead, the car is usually taken to Luton and the battery repaired by Vauxhall.

That's not surprising. Short of a catastrophic failure, batteries are by nature modular in design, and consist of several control boxes that should be replaceable.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,733 Posts
My name is summoned .... !

I believe there have been two full battery replacements done in the UK, one of which was one of the guys here on the forum.

In both cases I heard, yes, it was shipped to Luton for the work done. AFAIK they were full battery replacements.

They are man-made objects with due imperfections and can die. GM were selling them off some time back for $3,200 each, IIRC, such was how much they have over-stocked the item in anticipation of a larger failure rate.

It is entirely possible that it is not your main battery, the dealers are very poor at diagnostics and repairs. Equally possible is that the battery does need replacing. I cannot see how they can refute the warrant, it failed in warranty and must be repaired.

Your choice is to let them continue with the repair or seek an alternative remedy with Vauxhall. They are piss awful at honouring Ampera warranties, I still have a complaint with OLEV that stalled 3 years ago and remains something I get promises about. I guess they are just waiting for all the cars to expire.

Good luck. If there is anything I might be more specific on I am willing to try. It may not be so daft as to find a US GM sourced pack from stock and ship it over but I think you have to really love the car for that.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Surely there must be some viable packs from front end write-offs? Where do they go??

·
Registered
121 Posts
Surely there must be some viable packs from front end write-offs? Where do they go??
I’m going to get a section shipped over next year,strip it and keep it charged.
You can see it being stripped into each individual cell pouch on YouTube,difficult but not impossible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts