Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,467 Posts
Now you can buy a 3 year old Ioniq PHEV with similar capabilities to the Ampera for £10k, an 8 year old Ampera for £7.5k feels over priced. Especially when the bullet proof and frugal 2012 Prius will only set you back £5k.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,851 Posts
I was looking at the Optimas. Some low mileage 2017s for £12~14k. 4 years warranty and a dealership I have experienced to be responsive, willing and capable. Sounds nice.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I was looking at the Optimas. Some low mileage 2017s for £12~14k. 4 years warranty and a dealership I have experienced to be responsive, willing and capable. Sounds nice.
The Kia Optima does look like a good choice - designed in Germany and built in Korea.
I believe Kia also has an assembly plant somewhere in the Balkans.
My own personal prejudice against Kia is that I once worked with an former Kia salesman who had managed to acquire a collection of new Kia vehicles for next to nothing - he was an exceedingly dishonest and nasty piece of work - I guess its that sort of personal experience that breeds all prejudices.

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
I also feel Ampera/Volts will be future classics and plan to pass mine on to my son as a first car in 4yrs, if it remains reliable. I want it to stay in the family. The Optima was the only PHEV that really caught my eye between first looking at Amperas in 2015 and eventually buying one last year. But they were too expensive then. At the figures quoted by Donald I think they would be a great buy as they’re loaded with kit. My in-laws have been very impressed with their Kia dealer too. As for the Ioniq PHEV, I’d personally rather stick with the Ampera. Better looks, better range and 2seconds quicker to 60.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 8 year Battery warranty expires at the end of Jan 2021, so less than a week. Reading other posts i understand the efficiency of the Battery has to drop below 70% to be considered for replacement. Is that 70% of the range or 70% of the KWh on the battery. My range has dropped to 27miles in 4DegC which is less than the 70%?

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
71 Posts
My 8 year Battery warranty expires at the end of Jan 2021, so less than a week. Reading other posts i understand the efficiency of the Battery has to drop below 70% to be considered for replacement. Is that 70% of the range or 70% of the KWh on the battery. My range has dropped to 27miles in 4DegC which is less than the 70%?
70% of the KWh. 27 miles is normal for this time of year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for that Shedman. (y)(y) I was afraid that would be the case. Still a great car. No intention of changing. I've had it almost 5years now and reset one of the trip computers when I got it. Most of my miles are on elec so 38K and 220.4mpg :cool::cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I bought my 2014 Ampera around the middle of last year stunning bargain at 80239 miles, absolutely immaculate inside and out. Totally delighted in every way with my purchase. Around 6 weeks ago the engine warning light came on, intermittently at first and then permanently on. Since the car had 12 month warranty from Vauxhall I took the car to my local dealership. They diagnosed a fault in the main battery and placed an order for a replacement at the same time assuring me that it was ok to continue driving the car. Gradually over time the electric range of the car began to drop from the high 30s to the low 20s miles range, I put this down to the colder weather until the car stopped accepting any charge either from my tethered wall charger or by means of the supplied 13A cable. Again I took the car back to Vauxhall and was told it was all part of the same fault and they would chase up their order for the main battery replacement; not available within GB or the EU and the order was was now placed in the USA! Still got around 6 months of my purchse warranty left and the manufacturer's battery warranty runs out in 2022, so I'm hoping for the best!
Huge error! The stunning bargain was 8239 miles on the clock!! Still waiting for a replacement battery. Have now written to Vauxhall at Luton demanding they expedite the replacement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Huge error! The stunning bargain was 8239 miles on the clock!! Still waiting for a replacement battery. Have now written to Vauxhall at Luton demanding they expedite the replacement.
Contact Vauxhall customer services using 0800 0260034.
I think they do battery installations at PSA HQ at Coventry since GM sold Vauxhall to PSA.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
There is a known fault that develops in a multi pole connector in the front end of the battery module, I remember seeing a video on YouTube with some Russians doing the repair. Seems to happen around 9yrs or so, probably related to lead free solder.

Easy fix once the pack is out. I'm planning on keeping mine until it expires, which given my track record for keeping old junk on the road, will be 'a while'. I'm at 108k now having bought it three years ago at 36k, I've even managed 21k miles in this pandemic year...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Good price actually...

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Depending what condition it's in!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 Ampera died at the local recycling centre, of all places, and I haven't seen it since that day in July.

The RAC recovered it to the local Vauxhall main dealer where a faulty main battery assembly was diagnosed. The dealer requested the part number for a replacement from Vauxhall and, three months later, they are still waiting.

I have escalated a case within Vauxhall Customer Service. However, as the 8 year Voltec warranty expires next month, I'm starting to worry it could end badly. If Vauxhall won't replace the battery under warranty, the car would have to be written off.

Now this is pure speculation, but is it possible that Vauxhall are no longer able to source a genuine main battery assembly? I would guess this is the equivalent part for the Chevrolet Volt and it appears to be no longer available: 2011-2014 Chevrolet Volt Battery Assembly 20979876 | GM Parts Center

Quick poll - has anyone else needed to have a Ampera main battery replaced?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Hi is it the whole battery assy to be exchanged or have they misdiagnosed the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Latest development. I complained to Vauxhall complaints and Vauxhall customer "Care" Finally a result. They have asked my local dealer for further details in order to open a new support case to the technical team, so fingers crossed. I did threaten them with the Motoring Ombudsman as well.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts