Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Technically yes, but we’re going to stop around Amesbury where there’s a choice of Osprey and Polar...

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
155 Posts
I'm sure you'll be fine but please share your experiences here when you get to the destination.

Reactions: TomH

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2.7mpkwh so far. Not great but the conditions aren’t either! Bailed at Fleet as the kids are already bored and pleasantly surprised to find the Ecotricity CCS is working.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

still not sure what to make of this “mph” measurement.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Good luck!

mph is a reasonable measure for charging speed. The problem with kW is that it takes no account of the relative efficiency of different vehicles - an Audi e-tron can charge at 150kW and a kia e-Niro at 75kW, but in mph terms they're almost identical as the Audi averages around 2.5mi/kWh and the kia is closer to 5. It's arguably the most important measure of charging speed when you're actually on a journey.

Go for Route 303 restaurant as your second stop - american diner lunch and 100kW charging! EX14 9ND.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
I thought the mph of charging meant " stay here one hour and you will have increased range by 106 miles "
Therefore if you bail after 30mins your range will have gone up 53 miles.

This is more a useful indicator than " 63kw" on a display of a 150kw charger.
Whilst this also is telling you how much electricity is going in the vehicle, it is bloomin' useless to most people

·
Registered
111 Posts
I thought the mph of charging meant " stay here one hour and you will have increased range by 106 miles "
Therefore if you bail after 30mins your range will have gone up 53 miles.

This is more a useful indicator than " 63kw" on a display of a 150kw charger.
Whilst this also is telling you how much electricity is going in the vehicle, it is bloomin' useless to most people
Give us both figures! 😊

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Miles per hour is a bit silly though because hardly anyone is going to stay plugged into a rapid for an hour, and the mph figure is just a snapshot of the rate at that particular moment - so extrapolating doesn’t work on almost all cars, because they don’t have 'a flat curve'.

More useful would be a screen that said (based on what the car knows about its own charging curve and the current efficiency) something along the lines of 10 mins more charging will add x miles, 20 mins will add y, 30 will add z... etc

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
533 miles in the car in one hour ?!?!?!?
#EverSoSlightlyJealous
That's an instantaneous rate though, at close to peak charging speed (on that charger anyway - that was a 120kW V2). Of course it drops later on, but I went from 5% to 70% in 20 minutes, which is about 120-150 miles added range, so average 360-450mi/hr over the charge. Above 70 it drops further of course. On a high-power charger the ID3 won't be far off that kind of rate.

More useful would be a screen that said (based on the what the car knows about its own charging curve and the current efficiency) something along the lines of 10 mins more charging will add x miles, 20 mins will add y, 30 will add z... etc
Yes - Tesla sort of do that with the "time remaining" being to the charge limit that you have set. If you have a nav destination set then it will tell you time remaining until you have enough to get to that nav destination.

Nissan also in the 40 and 62kWh Leaf show how much time remaining to reach various charge levels:

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
Nissan also in the 40 and 62kWh Leaf show how much time remaining to reach various charge levels:
View attachment 143278
I think they nailed it with this display --- so much useful information in the same part of the dashboard.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: the A303 is as horrific as you would expect. Now charging at Wincanton Instavolt next to an e-tron while we pop into McDo.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
3,756 Posts
Yes - Tesla sort of do that with the "time remaining" being to the charge limit that you have set. If you have a nav destination set then it will tell you time remaining until you have enough to get to that nav destination.

Yes the Kona (and I assume the Niro and Soul) do that too - the time to reach a SoC point is not quite the same though as the driver then has to work out for themselves (or guess from experience, or use ABRP) what the range will be at the target SoC. ie. they don’t say "x mins to get to y%, at which point the GOM will say z miles".

Of course, like in many aspects of the software side of things (and EV specific hardware too) Tesla are currently leading the field (with some others like Polestar/Google starting to close the gap).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.