Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the knocking that i thought was loose axle locknuts was cured at the last 50k service but slightly came back about the 2k miles later along with a knocking noise at low speed at full lock in forward or reverse. However the takeoff and final braking clacking noise usually the axle nuts was a lot less. The car flew through its MOT in May and drove perfectly apart from this knocking noise and occasional clack.

Went in for 60k service today and told them to sort the knocking noise out. They just called to say it's the front driveshaft needs replacing. Out of warranty cover and a special order Vauxhall/Chevrolet Volt/ampera part, 2-4 days and 500 for the part. Fitting and vat is £200. So a £700 job all in. A bit miffed but then in 45k miles and not even £700 in services I'm not too miffed.

I might shop around with Cambridge Subaru and mk ampera vauxhall to get competitive quotes just to check. Anyone else had this failure on here ?

Sorted a solution for this now and created a separate thread for it here ;

Cost effective Drive Shaft Replacement - Volt (or Ampera)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Your description of the noise is typical for a failed outer CV joint. Usually these are removable from the drive shaft as they do wear out and I would be really surprised if these are not standard Vauxhall parts.
Defiantly worth a bit of research.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought this as the cv boots were not split otherwise would have failed the mot. Maybe the Volt cv joint and driveshaft are not seperate items if non standard parts? As most driveshafts are a metal rod with splined ends how do they wear out?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Oh oh...think I have this now I come to think off it....

·
Registered
163 Posts

You are right the drive shaft is usually a metal rod with splines at each end.

Above is a CV joint. It allows the steering to turn and still allows the drive to be transmitted to the wheel. It is the housing, race and balls that ware and will clonk at slow speed on full lock.
Sorry if you already knew this.
May be the CV joint is not removable and you have to buy the drive shaft too.That is not good design!

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I know what a CV joint is. have replaced them before on 1980's cars (mainly mini's) in my 20's when cash was tight and did all my own car repairs with Haynes manuals!

This is my thinking that the CV joint's are not available separately and the whole axle assy with inner and outer CV joints is one unit as an axle assembly. But usually these are under £100 for pattern parts. Not sure how much a genuine chevy Cruze or Vauxhall astra whole units are as genuine GM assemblies?

Would also be surprised if this was a bespoke Volt part? Not sure with it being EV? maybe beefed up to handle drive torque so not a GM pattern part used on other 2012 GM models?

Donald, need your Volt drivetrain knowledge here sir!!

M

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found various options on ebay for genuine GM from Europe and pattern "SurTrack" from the USA with prices ranging from 97 euros to 252 euros with delivery so £500 for a Vauxhall source (Ampera part) seems a rip off.

Genuine Chevrolet Volt Axle Assembly 22816826 | eBay

Chevrolet GM OEM 2011 Volt Front Drive Axle-Intermediate Shaft 20845759 | eBay

Chevrolet GM OEM 11-15 Volt Front Drive-CV Shaft Axle Assy 22868218 | eBay

CV Axle Shaft-New Front Right SurTrack GM-8343 fits 11-15 Chevrolet Volt

CV Axle Shaft-New Front Right SurTrack GM-8343 fits 11-15 Chevrolet Volt | eBay

I think I will call back tomorrow morning a put a hold on this being done by Bellingers, as the car drives fine, will get it to my local indy who did the MOT in May, a good guy who's wife has an I3, is into EV's and had a CM rapid charger installed at his garage in Buckingham is have used several times. Would rather give him the work as it will be cheaper and not Voltec related, also would like to give him the chance to work on a EV if he is willing tackle a mechanical job not needed the HV system to ne touched.

Will report back because £700 is a lot really for what could be just one CV joint inner or outer really. Wife is away until Monday and wont need the car until Tuesday and I'm off this week so plenty of time to take a deep breath and suss it out and not pay stealership prices.

M

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Keep us updated. £700...sheesh.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've replaced a few mini ones too and I always find it incredible that that black grease ends up in my ear!

I am really interested to find out how you get on as I am just about to start looking for an Ampera and I would like to know what i'm getting into.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've replaced a few mini ones too and I always find it incredible that that black grease ends up in my ear!

I am really interested to find out how you get on as I am just about to start looking for an Ampera and I would like to know what i'm getting into.
Worn CV joint is still going after 6 months although has go a bit more clunky. Not a biggy as you don't hear anything in normal driving and turning.

Have the pattern parts from the USA as a cost effective solution, have one garage local to my wifes work will to fit it for a cash job and am seeing a local one man band car mechanic guy today just outside my village, who is willing to quote.

This has been the hardest bit, the labour, as several established garages and "brands" do not seem to want to touch working on an EV even though it's a mechanical job and does not involve the 400v traction batteries at all.

Will post a new link below with photos and a break down of costs and ebay links when I have agreed the cheapest price for fitting and booked the job.

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
20 Posts
If anyone is following this thread... I've recently noticed my 2104 Ampera "clicking" as torque is applied at low speed on full lock. Seems suspiciously like the CV problem (especially as split n/s gaiter was replaced a little while ago). So here's the question: my lifetime warranty is still in place and appears to explicitly cover the drive shaft. So anyone had experience of whether Vauxhall will stand behind this and replace the shaft under the warranty?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was told it wasn't covered by Bellingers earlier this year. It was a near £1000 repair cost for my Volt (Ampera part was £200 less, even though by Bellinger's own admission it was likely to be exactly the same component as the Chevrolet-branded replacement part.) I sorted it for £150 all in after orderimg a pattern part from Rockauto website, thanks to the info contained in the linked thread.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Drivesafts UK said:
Those are very difficult to supply off the shelf, but if you or the garage remove and wrap your drive shafts we would collect (normally the same day if called before 12) recondition and return (normally 2 working days from collection to return but allow3) for the pair £259 plus vat includes carriages 12 month guarantee
if interested call bob 01902 602103

·
OtleyBrock
Vauxhall Ampera 2014-20, waiting on e-Niro
20 Posts
I was told it wasn't covered by Bellingers earlier this year. It was a near £1000 repair cost for my Volt (Ampera part was £200 less, even though by Bellinger's own admission it was likely to be exactly the same component as the Chevrolet-branded replacement part.) I sorted it for £150 all in after orderimg a pattern part from Rockauto website, thanks to the info contained in the linked thread.
Thanks for the response. A couple of questions...
  • As you have a Volt, I'm presuming it doesn't have the "Vauxhall Lifetime Warranty" which I'm wondering if will cover this fix, so Bellinger's "no" might (possibly!) be different for my Ampera
  • I notice you responded on the "Cost Effective Drive Shaft Replacement" thread. Did you go ahead and order from Rockauto and get it done. If so, how was it?
Cheers!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,688 Posts
There was a thread on this, I am sure someone has already swapped their driveshaft or two for next to nothing. Even then, £700 to keep a car going after so many years, pffftt ... just throw your money at them and get on with your life.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, six momths down the linked and nonfurther problem
  • As you have a Volt, I'm presuming it doesn't have the "Vauxhall Lifetime Warranty" which I'm wondering if will cover this fix, so Bellinger's "no" might (possibly!) be different for my Ampera
  • I notice you responded on the "Cost Effective Drive Shaft Replacement" thread. Did you go ahead and order from Rockauto and get it done. If so, how was it?
Cheers!
Cheers!
Yes it's all detailed in the other thread. £90 for the part from Rockauto and £60 labour at a local garage. no further problems six months on. Volt doesn't qualify for the Lifetime Warranty and i'm second owner in anybody case: Lw is non-transferrable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts