Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before Chargemaster start their new charging structure, I thought I'd see if the new rapids were up and running, they were.

Here are some photos, I know this will raise some heckles (at least a couple of them might), but as far as March goes, I may be back (frequently) while it's still free to drink from this particular well...

2014-03-06 20.40.59 HDR.jpg

2014-03-06 20.46.57.jpg

2014-03-06 20.47.19.jpg

2014-03-06 20.46.27.jpg

2014-03-06 20.54.00.jpg

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Was that charger like the existing DBT chargers in that they charge to 80% if starting at under 50% and to 100% if starting above 50%?

Do they have the option of "standard charge" like the others?

Could you select 100%? What SOC did you start the charge at?

Any other differences?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See the "controversial" picture, limit was 80% max, I think I was over 50%, maybe final photo with charge figures will answer that though?

Just seemed to work like the one in IKEA, but with a lower charge limit and extra options on the first charge screen.

What is this other speed option? Don't think I've ever even noticed that?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The AC/CSS side looks like a bunch of black spaghetti and this is when they are new! I wonder how long they will last in use?

Whoops! I nearly forgot... they won't get used will they because of their stupid fees so they will stay shiny new except for the mad BMW i3 drivers that took the charging package! ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
See the "controversial" picture, limit was 80% max, I think I was over 50%, maybe final photo with charge figures will answer that though?
But was there an option of "standard charge"? ... which is currently the best way to charge with the current DBT chargers.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But was there an option of "standard charge"? ... which is currently the best way to charge with the current DBT chargers.
What? I don't know where this shows? The charge was already at 80%, I just tried to up it to 100 and wouldn't play, this is what I usually do at IKEA.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
After selecting the DC the next screen has the option to set a time, set a % charge or "standard charge".

The best way to use the DBT chargers is not to set a time or a percentage... but to use standard charge. With standard charge it goes to 80% is you start the charge at under 50% or to 100% is you start over 50%.

I have this feeling of deja vu... I thought we had had this discussion before when discussing whether the chargers will charge to 100%?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not quite this conversation but similar. I've never actually used standard charge, always bump the target to 100%, didn't put two and two together and consider the standard bit.

That said, if it's above 50%, surely I should be able to set above 100%? Only ever done that and only ever had one charger tell me I couldn't (can't recall which, one on a motorway between me and Warwick).

Still not sure if I was above or below 50% today though, if that has a bearing.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Most DBT chargers won't let you set above 80%. That is one of the complaints many have had with them. Many people thought because you couldn't set above 80% then it wouldn't charge above 80%. This is not the case. It will charge above 80% if you use the standard charge option.

If you use standard charge and you start the charge with your car already above 50% then it will charge to nearly 100%.

If you start the charge with your car at less than 50% then standard charge will stop at 80%. Then, if you want 100% just do another standard charge. That second standard charge will then start at 80% and go to near 100%.

I have done over 270 rapid charges now and all of them have been done using the standard charge option and I consider it by far the best way to use these DBT chargers.

Having said that... the new POLAR fees would result in a double fee so that would cost £19 on PAYG for what in the Leaf would give you 90 miles or an equivalent of about 30mpg is it were a petrol car!!! But that is a different thread :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, so went to a different rapid in CMK today (within sight of a third, yup, densely populated).

Bumped into @Eunicholas (not literally) while I was there, ZOE charged up nice and quick, and such a lovely dash readout compared to the LEAF... Anyway...

Anyway, I was at 89% charge, plugged in and it went to 93% (before I was so rudely interrupted ;)) so assume it would have merrily gone on to 100%. This was using the "standard charge".

Next visit I'll try to plan so I'm sub 50% and see where that gets me, but this would suggest the "double charge gotcha" is very much the case for Nissan owners.

Couple more photos...

2014-03-07 08.58.49.jpg 2014-03-07 09.02.42.jpg

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, almost forgot. The charger didn't require a card, which I thought was odd.

@Eunicholas pointed out it has no mobile service, so it would appear to default to a free-for-all rather than a "can't use" if no connection, this seems a very sensible move if it proves to be the case!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts