Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my Exclusive on Lockdown day, 23 March! It was showing around 75% charge on the gauge. It has hardly been used since delivery, only covering a total of 75 miles.
As I'm getting my April and May Polar Plus subscription FOC I thought I’d give the car its first charge; it's not often you can get that for free!
I'd heard from other Forum members that charging can sometimes present difficulties, so I was anxious to see for myself.
I followed the handbook's instructions, i.e. connected the lead to the charging post first, then to the car, and finally to locked the car. I did this several times, and on each occasion, there was a message on the information screen that the lead was connected but not charging. Eventually I got the car to accept a charge by locking the car using the key fob. Before I was locking the car by pressing the button on the driver's door.
Have others experienced this 'quirk' or is it just me?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm assuming you were using an AC charger, not a tethered DC fast charging lead.

The procedure we adopt to charge from our home AC charger is:
  • Unlock car
  • Plug in cable
  • Lock car (it usually autolocks, but otherwise we use the handle button)
  • Plug cable into charger
If we plug into the charger first, we get the message you describe.

I don't think this is the sequence the handbook specifies, but, hey, it works for us!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took delivery of my Exclusive on Lockdown day, 23 March! It was showing around 75% charge on the gauge. It has hardly been used since delivery, only covering a total of 75 miles.
As I'm getting my April and May Polar Plus subscription FOC I thought I’d give the car its first charge; it's not often you can get that for free!
I'd heard from other Forum members that charging can sometimes present difficulties, so I was anxious to see for myself.
I followed the handbook's instructions, i.e. connected the lead to the charging post first, then to the car, and finally to locked the car. I did this several times, and on each occasion, there was a message on the information screen that the lead was connected but not charging. Eventually I got the car to accept a charge by locking the car using the key fob. Before I was locking the car by pressing the button on the driver's door.
Have others experienced this 'quirk' or is it just me?
You can use the key or the button on the door it will charge.There is always a slight delay before the charger kicks in.if you want to check the charging rate without opening the car door just open the boot lid up and look through the drivers door window and you can see the state of charge.If you unlock the door it will stop charging.Also this past couple of weeks with this hotter weather I've been getting 180 miles of charge showing on the meter after a full charge.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have found ...

• Unlock car
  • Open door
  • Plug in cable to Zappi 2
  • Plug in cable to MG
  • Close door
  • Lock car with door button or fob
Charge starts normally.

Not had any situation where the car connects and does not charge as long as the door is locked.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I always listen when plugging in. The charger will make a nice "clunk" noise and then the car will click, I think, 4 times.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
If you are trying to charge on a public fast post, at say a supermarket etc and you have the correct RFID card to unlock the post.
Firstly, show the RFID card to the reader in the post, wait for the post to accept the RFID card, then plug in the car and lock the doors with the remote.
You should hear the car make a thump, then look through the drivers window to check if the car is indeed charging.
The first time I tried charging at a public post at a shopping centre ( pre lock down) I made the mistake of plugging in the car first, then offering the RFID card to the post, it did not work.
Then a fellow EV driver was walking passed and explained how the system worked !.
I believe most rapids work in the same way, card first, then plug in the car.
When charging at home on my wall box, it’s like this.
Unlock the car with the fob, open the charge port and insert the charging gun.
Now lock the doors with the fob, the wall box will make a thump and the car will start charging.
Check by looking at the dash panel through the drivers door window.
The only time mine will show “Plugged in but not charging” warning in the dash panel, is if I have a “Delayed Charge” timer set up, in order for the car to charge on cheaper “Off Peak” electric in the middle of the night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts