Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It arrived today and I'm impressed so far.
Lots to share and lots to learn so here goes - please be gentle with me.
Its a Passat GTE Estate 17 plate zero road tax reg 31/3/17. Not an Advance but with nearly all the stuff that an advance would have and some. Titanium Silver 28K miles.
Significant Options are :
Electric Swiveling Towbar (unused I'm sure)
XDS
Net Partition
Pan Roof
Keyless with foot waving tailgate opening
Driver Assistance Pack +
TPM
Pro Nav
LED Premium Headlights (with washers)
Park Assist with steering
Mirror Link (Apple CarPlay)
Advance Telephone
Rear Camera
Area View
Nappa Leather

I got the car from Cazoo and was a bit nervous having never used them before and knew no one else who had but so far so good with them. I have it on a 7 day no quibble trial but I'm pretty sure I'll keep it.
Its immaculate bodywise - just one scratch on one inner rear door where a seatbelt has been trapped I guess. Wheels are perfect (refurb I guess) and good premium self sealing tyres.
There sure is a lot to learn - its my first hybrid ownership but I have driven top spec Tesla model S and a friend has one of them too.

I'm not going to pester you all with questions before I take the time to read the manual - Yikes! However as I have only 7 days to decide to keep it I'm obliged to test everything I guess.

For those who don't know about Cazoo (and I didn't) here is my experience so far.
They have done an excellent job of presenting the car and the delivery experience was great. It arrived in a fully enclosed transporter all clean and valeted (90% good Valet by my standards).
As I have said I have 7 days to try out the car (which is great for a hybrid I think). Anything over 250 miles is charged at £1/mile. Separate 7 day free insurance included, 90 day warranty and roadside recovery (RAC).
Only negative that I've had in dealing with them was the people answering the phone were not able to elaborate on any of the car details and had to refer and took a long time to get back and still incomplete but hey the car is great and a lot cheaper than what it would be from a VW dealer forecourt. They had not listed even half of the options but I could see from the picture clues that it was loaded. Also they believed that there was no service history just the one they did when they got it. However I was able to get the Vin no from reg and downloaded all of the PR codes confirming the build spec - £7000 worth of options. Also my friendly VW main dealer was able to determine that the car was on a fixed service schedule and had been done on the button at 10K and 20K (12 monthly). Also all the necessary recall work had been done to the HV battery and battery coolant upgrade.

If anyone has any words of wisdom - I'm all ears but for now I'm off to digest a very thick manual!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Good luck getting through the manual! I take a lot of interest in my cars, and have always read the manuals cover to cover to make sure I know everything, but even though I really love my Passat GTE and was really excited to get it, I gave up about a quarter of the way through the manual. It's so long winded and full of unnecessary waffle. So if you do make it through and find any gems of knowledge in there please do tell!

The cazoo concept sounds interesting. When I've bought second hand cars in the past I've always spent a good hour or more inspecting it before I buy. This way you get 7 days in the comfort of your own home to inspect and test drive it, so that sound pretty good! I did buy my Passat through the internet (carwow), but since it was a factory order it didn't matter since I couldn't see my actual car before buying anyway!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK 3rd day of the trial and I thought I'd do an update. Still not 100% sure that I'll keep it.
Cazoo are brilliant I have to say - they have been really supportive and helpful with me and I'd recommend them. Whether they can sustain the level of service and support as the company grows remains to be seen but at this stage when they are building a reputation they are great. This has been a good test for them as the Passat GTE (and especially this fully loaded one) is an unusual car and I think I would categorise myself as a fussy owner. Its been fantastic for me as I have plenty of time to get to know the car and all its techy stuff and there is plenty of that! I also have to thank the excellent support that I have had from the local VW dealer service department - John Clark in Aberdeen, particularly as they have no responsibility for the supply of the car.

As for the car itself - I "think" that its a brilliant car at times but sometimes frustrating too. I just hope that its down to my lack of familiarity when it doesn't do what I think it should - like moving for instance. There are many times when I've been pressing the gas pedal and its doesn't go so I have to shift the stick to park switch off, switch on, move the stick to D, release the electric parking brake either up or down (can't remember) till the light goes out anyway whilst maintaining the right about of pressure on the footbrake then off we go (sometimes)! However on the move its pretty cool - I did 65 miles yesterday of mixed driving and averaged 59mpg according to the car and went from 31 miles to 4 mile of electric range so thats good I think. Another thing that has confused me is the regenerative braking it seems to operate randomly when in hybrid sometimes severe sometimes not at all?? If I pull on the +paddle it seems to work for a few corners then stops again till I pull it again. So I have configured the "Individual Settings" and now drive in that mode which has sport regen, sport steering, sport dynamic lights and everything else eco which seems to work for me.

John Clark have tested the headlights for a build-up of condensation inside (seems to be common according to internet searches) they have taken photos and sent off to VW for a potential claim. They may well rule it as normal as I guess these units must be fiercely expensive to replace. There is only 6 weeks of manufacturers warranty left so I wanted to record the effect now. They also spotted a defective rear tyre. It has a hole showing cord and starting to bulge. Its not easy to see until you see it! My guess is that its a puncture that that has self sealed (Pirelli self sealing tyres on the car). Strangely the TPM is showing this tyre having 42 psi and all the others having 38 psi whereas they are all actually at 36 psi according to my external devices. So a question to you all. Are these good tyres to have? Obviously without a spare it would seem to be a good choice. I'm contemplating carrying a space saver in the car as there is plenty of room for one. Cazoo are happy to pay for a new tyre btw.

Today I will try to get off all the wheels to copper slip the mating surfaces and make sure the nuts are at the correct torque - I'm willing to bet they are too damm tight so I hope the locking wheel nut is strong enough for 4 uses then it will be put away and I'll put on proper nuts in their place. Also I will do a bit of towing with my trailer to see if all that technology works too. And try to get the park assist to work - I tried it yesterday in a busy Asda carpark without success so had to give up till I find a quieter venue to experiment in.

After I filled up with fuel yesterday and after my third attempt to move the car from the forecourt I got a big Hybrid System Failure alarm - drive to workshop. Switched off and back on and it cleared!

So, in conclusion the jury is still out on this car. When its working its great but my worry is that there is a heck of a lot of expensive stuff to go wrong and it it a viable long term relationship or am I better off with a high spec diesel ( with far less miles and much newer for the same money)????

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good report, great spec and Cazoo sounds like a very interesting proposition.

Re. starting the car, it might just be technique. I still get caught out even after 18months of driving it; foot on brake, press and hold the Start button until you get the two-tone chime (I think) and the 'green' light in lower binnacle or message saying 'vehicle starting' (mine doesn't have the digital dashboard). If you don't hold the start button down for long enough or don't press the brake pedal long or hard enough then the ignition is on but car is not ready to move; shift to D and nothing happens, so move to Park turn off, turn on again and all that shenanigans. Same if the charge door is not completely closed and you have to shut everything down to go and close it properly!

The handbrake should be fully automatic though; once car is ready as per above then no need to touch handbrake. Maybe there is a setting buried somewhere that turns this off, but can't think why previous owner would want to. I use auto hold as well unless at traffic lights for a period.

Regen braking is pretty good from my experience, sometimes in B mode it does seem a fraction of a second longer to apply regen that I might expect, but could be down to road conditions at that moment. I never found good a technique to use the gear paddles to adjust regen so I just leave it in auto mode; some hybrids and EVs use paddles to adjust regen, in the Passat they do really just change gear, which will affect the regen experienced, but if the gear selector is not in 'M' then after a short period it will revert back to automatic mode and change gear on you; perhaps this explains the random behaviour you see. I'd say paddles are best left to a bit of fun in GTE mode with Manual mode. In standard D then there is no regeneration until you press the brake pedal, but coasting instead (seems good for efficiency on longer runs). B mode uses increased regeneration but not quite one-pedal driving, good for downhill stretches and urban driving. YMMV.

I have had a handful of odd glitches like your 'hybrid failure' message in my 18months of ownership, also '12V not charging', but after stopping the car, giving it a minute, then starting again it has cleared. Happens very infrequently though. The only warranty issue I've had is a dodgy infotainment screen that was replaced.

The Pirelli self-seal tyres do seem to be very effective; at a service the dealer found the remnant of a screw in the tread, hardly visible, and absolutely nothing to show for it in terms of tyre pressures or warnings; could have been there months. Can't be repaired though, so new tyre it was.

I don't have the auto-park option; our previous Touran had it, but was relatively little used but worked, although a bit fussy in detecting parallel spaces sometimes. No idea if Passat version is better or worse I'm afraid.

It is a fearsomely complex beast; definitely make sure service schedule is up to date. Its third service is due at about 28k miles (equivalent of 45k kms). Worth asking about extended warranty cost; the battery will be covered for longer as I'm sure you know. Overall I absolutely love my GTE, the best car I've owned so far, and can't see myself going back to diesel but only forward to a 2 BEV household. The preheating on icy mornings from comfort of the kitchen is enough to swing it for me!

Good luck with the rest of your test!

Reactions: gladini

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the support and helpful tips - actual owner experience trumps manuals any day.
Thanks for the advice on getting it to reliably move off. Didn't know about the bing bong but now that I do its been more reliable not 100% but close. The handbrake is fine its just unfamiliarity on my part and seeing the light being lit made me think that was what was stopping me.
Since I have found the B mode on the gearstick (duh) its been doing more like I'd like it to be. Not quite single pedal but near enough. My view is that is how the car should be operating by default and you should have to select "non B" if you want to freewheel but what do I know....
The wheels all came without drama but its a heavy car to jack up for sure. No nasties found behind the scenes so thats quiet reassuring. I can see that the wheels themselves have been refurbished and its been a pretty cheap job. Also they are not the right colour - a few too many shades lighter than they should be. I think this will be something that I will have to deal with if I keep it. I have also noted that the almost new Continental tyres on the front are not actually self sealing so thats a worry - mmm.
I also did a test run with my Ifor Williams double axel trailer and that all went fine with the trailer assist functions all doing what they should. Pretty sure its the first time that tow bar has seen any action. Its not a bad car to tow with although the trailer was empty to be fair. Didn't seem to have any impact on the economy at all but I guess it would if it was loaded. I have yet to play with the GTE mode. Since refuelling yesterday car is showing 87 mpg after 25 miles including 8 miles with the trailer. God I'm falling into an mpg nerd instead of a 0 to 60 one. I sold a BMW M135 (with mods) to make space for this so there is a bit of a performance difference!
My wife has yet to drive it so she may well condemn it. I can't even persuade her to use cruise control on other cars so this might be a step too far. She is a bit of an environmentalist (isn't everyone now?) so she might be persuaded we will see.
Again anyone with anymore helpful tips would bar much appreciated.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,481 Posts
So when your wife gets behind the wheel for the first time, have a few miles in the GOM, and when driving somewhere safe steady speed tell her to tell you when the engine has kicked in - and press the eMode button twice quickly to force it to hybrid. Normally if it's under a little bit of load this is impressively seamless, and from the hopefully already impressive eMode refinement + nippiness.
Then find a roundabout or lights where a good sprint away is possible in 50+ mph zones, and just before coming to a halt put in GTE mode. The launch off + up to the limit is "satisfactory" I think.

If you are on your own and have some Andrex handy , get stuck behind an overtaking artic on a 2lane 70mph road, GTE mode on, with the ACC set to 72mph (officer) and the artic doing 50.01mpg .
When the artic moves back over the car computer will attempt to reach your wished speed "swifty".

Combine that with the ability to swan around emissions free for 20miles+ and you'll grow to see why so many of us love this venture with our "Got Two Engines" cars

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha Ha thanks for that - I have just come in from a GTE mode blast in the dark. And almost hit a deer - I have not got whistles on this car and they are everywhere here at this time of night. Anyway I have an annoying problem with the lights. The car has the LED advanced lights and Driver Assistance pack + so it has Dynamic light Assist. I have the car set up for dynamic cornering light as that was what my BMW had and I've gotten used to it. When I select dynamic main beam the conformation logo comes up on the dash and when I drive out of the village the main beam comes on (blue light on dash). However when I meet a car the lights do not dip which is annoying for oncoming drivers. The blue light stays on and as far as I can see the lights remain bright so I intervene so as not to piss off the locals. When I read the manual (page 130 it seems to say that the Dynamic Light Assist does not work if i have selected dynamic cornering lights. Is that correct?? I'd go out now and check but its G&T time and I don't want any more close encounters with the bambis.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As an aside.... I'm pretty sure I could drive this car safely with a fair amount of alcohol in my system. Not that ever would but... with the advent of self driving cars and this one is a big step in that direction i wonder if the rules will ever change in the future when there is no input required from the "driver/passenger" other than to select a destination.

·
Registered
368 Posts
There is no need to "release" the handbrake Neil. Simply select/choose the Auto Hold option, then then the electronic brake will hold on pressing the brake pedal, and release again when gentle pressure is applied to the go pedal......

At least that's how it is on my Golf.........

The future Neil? For years there have been cars whizzing around the streets of my local town which seem to have little input from those whom occupy the driving seat...........

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha another milestone in the understanding of this complex car. So I've sorted out how these fancy lights work and I don't think the manual is very good at explaining them.

Assuming you are in auto position on the light switch moving the indicator stalk forward triggers the Dynamic Light Assist. Now, contrary to the manual it doesn't matter if the Dynamic Cornering Light is activated or not, it works anyway.
In plain mans language, you can have bendy lights and self dipping at the same time - phew!
However its more confusing than that (bear in mind I've come from BMW ownership where everything is simple).
Try this instead for the manual,
"So you are driving along with the car set up with bendy lights and auto dip, below 30 mph and in a built up area and lights are on dip. You leave the street light area and as the speed increases above 30 mph the main beam comes on automatically, confirmed by the blue main beam indication illuminating. Then you meet a car and a weird thing happens the main beam goes darker towards the oncoming car and not dazzling it but you can still see ahead on your side of the road as if you are still on main beam. But just to mess with your head the blue main beam (that sensibly on a BMW goes out to confirm that you are not dazzling the oncoming car) stays on so as to make you feel really uncomfortable that you are not being a socially conscious driver. Then you drive to the next village and the main beam dips and this time the blue light goes off just to mess with your head even further."
So Volkswagen - thats how to phrase a manual....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mmm my lights do all of that stuff but don't have an IQ Matrix badge and the slats at the sides of the units are horizontal rather than vertical. They have obviously developed them. I still think the blue main beam indication should go out when you meet another car though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another day with the "loan"car and have covered less than 10 meters taking it out of the garage - doing a complete valet and putting it back.
It checks out pretty well actually. One tiny dent near to the GTE badge on the tailgate that I can fix myself presumably due to the auto opening when it should not have been initiated. One scratch/dent on the nearside rear door return that I might need to have been repaired but only visible when the door is open. Probably a baby car seat incident. All roads point to me keeping this car.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The preheating on icy mornings from comfort of the kitchen is enough to swing it for me!
So how do you achieve that? I have the "We Connect" app and the data plug in the OBD port but it does not seem to support preheating. Wouldn't I need some kind of additional heater??

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,915 Posts
So how do you achieve that? I have the "We Connect" app and the data plug in the OBD port but it does not seem to support preheating. Wouldn't I need some kind of additional heater??
The data plug in obd isnt needed for a GTE. There should be a sim card installed (hidden behind the dash on the Golf).

For pre heat. Check out e-manager in the car/manual and look at the departure time settings.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mmm my lights do all of that stuff but don't have an IQ Matrix badge and the slats at the sides of the units are horizontal rather than vertical. They have obviously developed them.
They have indeed as light unit now contains a fan to obviate condensation.;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK will check that out - I suspect its not something that I would use often as the car will normally start its journeys from a heated garage anyway and I'm past the stage in my life when I leave early in the morning for work (thankfully).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts