Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am planning on making the move from petrol to electric later this year once I have paid off current outstanding car finance agreement. I work within the NHS and have access to a good car lease scheme so was going to go down that route for my next car instead of buying outright myself or going for another PCP type deal.

I have little knowledge of the EV market personally, I have been doing research recently after making the decision to move to an EV but I have yet to drive any etc. due to covid putting a stop to all test drives. My drive to work is around 40 miles each day to my main base but I cover some sites that are further away than this (up to 80 miles) so I wanted an EV that ideally covered at least 200 miles to cover all eventualities with my job and also to offer a bit more freedom for if me and my partner want to do a trip away in my car.

Just wondered what suggestions people would have as an ideal first EV with good range. I have a dog so an SUV/Hatchback style would be preferred but not essential as my partner does have an SUV herself so not the end of the world if the best option doesn't have a huge boot. I have started to get some quotes from work to gauge prices and had a lot of variation in the costs that have come back.

The cheapest so far has been the ID3 but seen some concerns online regarding software issues. I really wanted the Model 3 due to the charging network which would make long journies so much easier but the price was higher than hoped. I probably could stretch to it but are they really worth the £100 + per month difference over other cars?

Are there any cars due out in the next few months to keep an eye out for too? I know Skoda has one coming soon as well as the ID4 but not sure if there is anything else.

Also, any advice on the best home chargers would be great too. Have been looking myself and found some good options but given I'm new to all this any advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,506 Posts
My suggestion: set your requirements before you start actully looking.

Set your requirements for range, shape and size, cost obviously.

Things to consider: can you charge at home? This is probably the biggest change in your use pattern: charging. Charging at home is the easiest thing, even if you get a Tesla, this will probably cover 90% of your needs.

Good luck!
Edit: test drive as many as you can, which is obviously not easy to do due to the big C...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My suggestion: set your requirements before you start actully looking.

Set your requirements for range, shape and size, cost obviously.

Things to consider: can you charge at home? This is probably the biggest change in your use pattern: charging. Charging at home is the easiest thing, even if you get a Tesla, this will probably cover 90% of your needs.

Good luck!
Edit: test drive as many as you can, which is obviously not easy to do due to the big C...
I will be able to home charge, due to have a smart meter installed at the end of the month so I can then switch tariffs once I get my EV sorted.

Pretty flexible in regards to shape/size I can have. 90% of the time it will just be me in the car going too and from work. Only on weekend would I potentially use it for taking the dog out but my partner has an SUV so could always get a saloon type car and just use hers on a weekend to take the dog out. Only thing I would not be flexible on is the range. I would require at least 200 miles range due to work.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
105 Posts
In my opinion if you take the dog with you often then it makes no sense to buy an expensive car that can't take it. If a car can't cover close to all of your needs then it better be cheap enough that you won't mind it sitting on the drive while you use her SUV.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my opinion if you take the dog with you often then it makes no sense to buy an expensive car that can't take it. If a car can't cover close to all of your needs then it better be cheap enough that you won't mind it sitting on the drive while you use her SUV.
Ideally, I would like a fully electric SUV for the added practicality but in my research obviously, you see so many glowing reviews for the model 3 I felt it needed to be on my list. Plus the charging network seems so far ahead of all others. In the model 3 the dog could go on the back seats with her harness on and a seat cover but it's not the ideal solution but based on what I have seen online many regard the model 3 as the best EV around.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
Hi All,

I am planning on making the move from petrol to electric later this year once I have paid off current outstanding car finance agreement. I work within the NHS and have access to a good car lease scheme so was going to go down that route for my next car instead of buying outright myself or going for another PCP type deal.

I have little knowledge of the EV market personally, I have been doing research recently after making the decision to move to an EV but I have yet to drive any etc. due to covid putting a stop to all test drives. My drive to work is around 40 miles each day to my main base but I cover some sites that are further away than this (up to 80 miles) so I wanted an EV that ideally covered at least 200 miles to cover all eventualities with my job and also to offer a bit more freedom for if me and my partner want to do a trip away in my car.

Just wondered what suggestions people would have as an ideal first EV with good range. I have a dog so an SUV/Hatchback style would be preferred but not essential as my partner does have an SUV herself so not the end of the world if the best option doesn't have a huge boot. I have started to get some quotes from work to gauge prices and had a lot of variation in the costs that have come back.

The cheapest so far has been the ID3 but seen some concerns online regarding software issues. I really wanted the Model 3 due to the charging network which would make long journies so much easier but the price was higher than hoped. I probably could stretch to it but are they really worth the £100 + per month difference over other cars?

Are there any cars due out in the next few months to keep an eye out for too? I know Skoda has one coming soon as well as the ID4 but not sure if there is anything else.

Also, any advice on the best home chargers would be great too. Have been looking myself and found some good options but given I'm new to all this any advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance
You seem to have done good research only other maybe MG, both an SUV and an estate also soon. As long as they are on the salary sacrifice scheme all good. But if you can stretch to Model 3 then yes the longer trips much easier still way ahead of the game in UK charging network, 2021 hopefully will see others stepping up

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I will be able to home charge, due to have a smart meter installed at the end of the month so I can then switch tariffs once I get my EV sorted.

Pretty flexible in regards to shape/size I can have. 90% of the time it will just be me in the car going too and from work. Only on weekend would I potentially use it for taking the dog out but my partner has an SUV so could always get a saloon type car and just use hers on a weekend to take the dog out. Only thing I would not be flexible on is the range. I would require at least 200 miles range due to work.
And welcome to the site.

Work travel near car range has been a problem for some folks on this site because of the time and stress it has added to their working day. I'm no expert on EV's generally, but I can tell you from experience that my Zoe GT50 which has a WLTP range of 240 miles actually does about 180 miles in good weather on fast roads at the speed limit and has only done 120-140 miles in the recent cold weather (here in Scotland).

So if you need 200 miles in winter and don't want to charge while you're away you're looking at a lot of required range.

Sorry I can't advise on a car that might do that, but it's a factor you need to seriously weigh up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You seem to have done good research only other maybe MG, both an SUV and an estate also soon. As long as they are on the salary sacrifice scheme all good. But if you can stretch to Model 3 then yes the longer trips much easier still way ahead of the game in UK charging network, 2021 hopefully will see others stepping up
Notice your bio says you had the Model 3 Sr+ before. Given your experience is it way ahead of other EVs aside from the charging network? I have had a quote back for the SR+ and the LR and neither would be totally unaffordable but they do come in a fair bit more expensive than cars such as the ID3 and E-Nero

·
Registered
430 Posts
Minimum range in the worst conditions and at high speed could be as low as 60% of the manufacturer's claimed range. So, if you genuinely need 200 miles year-round, your choice is extremely limited. I think you're looking at an E-Niro, Kona, Soul, or something with an even bigger battery.

If you could make do with 150 miles then the MG5 could just about do it, though you might have to stick to 65mph in the worst conditions. A Zoe would be more efficient at lower speeds but that advantage slopes off as speed increases. The MG5 is, by my analysis, the best value of all EVs in terms of real world range per £ actual purchase price.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,506 Posts
Maybe you should have a read of this:

Reactions: NathanBFC94

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Minimum range in the worst conditions and at high speed could be as low as 60% of the manufacturer's claimed range. So, if you genuinely need 200 miles year-round, your choice is extremely limited. I think you're looking at an E-Niro, Kona, Soul, or something with an even bigger battery.

If you could make do with 150 miles then the MG5 could just about do it, though you might have to stick to 65mph in the worst conditions. A Zoe would be more efficient at lower speeds but that advantage slopes off as speed increases. The MG5 is, by my analysis, the best value of all EVs in terms of real world range per £ actual purchase price.
I am unlikely to go anywhere over 200 miles in a single day apart from if we went to the Lakes which we do a few times a year but I dont personally want to limit myself too much by going for something with a low range which as you say can be affected by the cold etc. Therefore I would prefer to go for something with a claimed range of over 200 miles just for peace of mind, I may not get that range in the real world especially in winter but having something with a bigger battery gives me that extra range if needed. I do minimum 80 miles a day for work anyway but as said in my OP we have some sites further away than my main base that I sometimes need to visit but admittedly i don't go to those often.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am unlikely to go anywhere over 200 miles in a single day apart from if we went to the Lakes which we do a few times a year but I dont personally want to limit myself too much by going for something with a low range which as you say can be affected by the cold etc. Therefore I would prefer to go for something with a claimed range of over 200 miles just for peace of mind, I may not get that range in the real world especially in winter but having something with a bigger battery gives me that extra range if needed. I do minimum 80 miles a day for work anyway but as said in my OP we have some sites further away than my main base that I sometimes need to visit but admittedly i don't go to those often.
The 'claimed range' of the MG5 is 214 miles. The actual real world lowest range in winter is around 150 miles. I'd recommend getting a test drive as it's a good size compare to most of the EVs with comparable range.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Tesla Model S Long Range Plus 335

Tesla Model X Long Range Plus 290

Tesla Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor 285

Kia e-Niro 64 kWh 283

Volkswagen ID.3 Pro S 280

Porsche Taycan 4S Plus 270

Ford Mustang Mach-E ER RWD 270

Audi e-tron GT * 265

Tesla Model Y Long Range Dual Motor 260

Skoda Enyaq iV 80 250

Polestar 2 245

Hyundai Kona Electric 64 kWh 245

Reanault Zoe 245

Mercedes EQC 400 4MATIC 230

Kia Soul EV 64 kWh 225

Jaguar I-Pace EV400 225

Peugeot e208 217

Vauxhall Corsa E 211

Volvo XC40 P8 AWD Recharge 205

Numbers after each model is max range in miles.
My choice Porsche.

·
Registered
Tesla Model X 75 D
135 Posts
Realistically you are looking at a Model 3 preferably LR or a Kia ENiro 4+ (has heat pump) or a Hyundai Kona EV 64kw with heat pump.

There is not much else under £70,000 that will do 200+ miles at 0°C. Sure there is more coming this year that will. The id3 80kwh will do it, as will the id4 and the corresponding Skoda/Seat/Audi as long as you get the 80/82/77kwh pack. These may not be out for 6 months or more, and you would want to pay extra for a heat pump option as in winter this adds 10-15% to the real world range. There will be a new Hyundai Ioniq 5 ev that will be out this year and corresponding Kia.. But who know when they will come out and when the larger battery pack will be available. Tesla will also have the model Y, but it might not make it to the UK this year. Tesla charging network is the best and you could probably get away with a model 3 sr+ as for 80% of the year they will do 200 miles... For the other 20% they won't due to the cold... But the chargers are very fast if you get below 20%, and you would probably only need to stop for 10 mins to get enough range to add another 50-80 miles.

·
Registered
Tesla Model X 75 D
135 Posts
Realistically you are looking at a Model 3 preferably LR or a Kia ENiro 4+ (has heat pump) or a Hyundai Kona EV 64kw with heat pump.

There is not much else under £70,000 that will do 200+ miles at 0°C. Sure there is more coming this year that will. The id3 80kwh will do it, as will the id4 and the corresponding Skoda/Seat/Audi as long as you get the 80/82/77kwh pack. These may not be out for 6 months or more, and you would want to pay extra for a heat pump option as in winter this adds 10-15% to the real world range. There will be a new Hyundai Ioniq 5 ev that will be out this year and corresponding Kia.. But who know when they will come out and when the larger battery pack will be available. Tesla will also have the model Y, but it might not make it to the UK this year. Tesla charging network is the best and you could probably get away with a model 3 sr+ as for 80% of the year they will do 200 miles... For the other 20% they won't due to the cold... But the chargers are very fast if you get below 20%, and you would probably only need to stop for 10 mins to get enough range to add another 50-80 miles.
Forgot to add the Ford mustang mach e longer range rear wheel drive would be cheap enough and easily do this range in winter, but is probably another 15-25 weeks away from delivery.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts