Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my wife’s and my experience of a long trip in her new Zoe. It was our first in an EV. (We arrived back in Bournemouth yesterday).

We received my wife’s Zoe ZE50 at the beginning of June, and, owing to lockdown we had not seen my wife’s parents or sister since last year (her parents live in Blairgowrie and her sister lives in Dundee) we decided to drive up to Scotland to visit them.

We would normally do this trip in my Audi A6 but I part-ex’d that for my Leaf 40 back in January this year. So we decided to go up north in the Zoe.

We used ZapMap to plan the recharge stops along the route and had made sure that we had signed up to Ecotricity, Charge Place Scotland (via the CYC app) and also with Polar Plus (making use of the 3 free months).

Despite having a planned route with stops and back-up stops, we learnt quite quickly, you don’t necessarily get the anticipated mileage out of a full charge, but, with the use of ZapMap, we were able to find the nearest stops to our anticipated 20% remaining charge on arrival, and also checking for the correct charging connectors and their availability.

I have to say that, despite reading about all the issues with Ecotricity, we were actually very lucky with them and used four points on the way up.... two on free vend and paid for the other two.

What was disappointing was the Charge Place Scotland charge points we planned to use. The Abington one was broken (hadn’t correctly ended the previous users session) and the lady at the CPS call centre couldn’t reset the unit so reported a fault. The Blairgowrie point was broken and the one we were going to use at “Scotland’s Secret Bunker” was so old you could only start a session with an RFID card, which we didn’t have as we had only planned to use the CYC app.

On the return journey we used two Ecotricity sites (one free and the other paid for) and the final two stops we used Polar Plus.

They were both very long days but having to stop four times for recharging, it actually made the trip more bearable and we certainly didn’t feel too fatigued. The Zoe was so easy to drive and extremely comfortable.

I would highly recommend using ZapMap in conjunction with the charging company’s apps for ensuring that you will be met with a working charge point on arrival at your stops.

I have compiled a chart detailing both the trips below.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Great write up(y)

If I'd of known you were coming to Dundee I could of started and ended a charge for you as residents charge for free, did you use one of the hubs?

Did all the Eco t CCS charges work first time and were you getting a decent charge rate?

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great write up(y)

If I'd of known you were coming to Dundee I could of started and ended a charge for you as residents charge for free, did you use one of the hubs?

Did all the Eco t CCS charges work first time and were you getting a decent charge rate?
Thanks.

That would’ve been greatly appreciated. In the end we used the granny cable to charge up on arrival as our backup. Took forever, but it did the job.

Yes....for the services we stopped at all the Ecotricity CCS were working (either on free vend or paid for). The charge rates at most of them were around 42kWh....so not too bad.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Really nice write up - thanks.

What sort of speeds were you doing? I tend to lock the cruise on around 65mph on the motorway. Curious to know about you? Also, any AC running?

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really nice write up - thanks.

What sort of speeds were you doing? I tend to lock the cruise on around 65mph on the motorway. Curious to know about you? Also, any AC running?
Thanks Tommy

Up to the final stop we were doing between 60mph & 65mph. After the final stop (for both legs) I would gauge how many miles to go to the destination, charge up with enough power to get there plus a 30/40 mile buffer and then would start going up to 70mph when I knew I would still have 20/30 miles of power on arrival.

AC was running occassionally as it was quite warm on the way up. Coming back, AC was on almost all the time past Birmingham as it was about 18/19 degrees from there and went up to 22 by the time we got home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts