Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove an used Hyundai Ioniq 2018 at my local Hyundai dealer over the weekend, a first EV drive for me, and absolutely loved it. I sold my ICE car 3 months ago as I wasn't driving much and it was getting difficult to justify my expensive last car.

I am looking to buy an Ioniq and ideally looking to spend about £16K but it does seem like I might have to fork out a bit more as there aren't a lot of these on offer. My questions are -
1. Is it worth test driving other cars too? or Ioniq is as good as any other in this range (if not the best?) - I am without a car, getting to the dealer for a test drive is bit on a pain but with my budget and preference for looks there aren't that many options
2. This first generation does not seem to have an App - is that something I am likely to miss much?

Any other good/bad points to consider wrt Ioniq?

·
Registered
Ioniq Project 45, e-Niro4+
2,787 Posts
Which version of the Ioniq was it, and which spec?
We used to have the top spec all electric version and I would recommend it. Reliable, nippy and very economical. The only problem was that I could not get the seat position right for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which version of the Ioniq was it, and which spec?
We used to have the top spec all electric version and I would recommend it. Reliable, nippy and very economical. The only problem was that I could not get the seat position right for me.
Yes, it was Premium SE, that is adding £1-2k to the price. I did notice that you couldn’t lift up the seat much - wasn’t a big issue for me but perhaps would be for my wife. Thanks for pointing that out.

I didn’t check - is the steering adjustable?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
1) the Ioniq 28kWh is pretty standard, so little to look for, no need to check the battery as with a LEAF.
2) no app, so cannot see the state of charge outside of the car. Equally no software issues from the app not working, no registration, possibly causing 12v battery failure etc.

28kWh car seems very stable for software, at 3 1/2 years / 33k miles, 4.5 to 5.5m/kWh,
proper motorway driving range of 100-120 miles (today shows 150 miles, but only at 40-50mph), charges up to 65kW, no discernable degradation.
On Friday will do 320 mile journey with top up at 60 mile, full charge at 140 mile, recharge at 240 mile. Each from 20-40 minutes. New Gridserve motorway chargers reduce the time as you get the full 60kW. Efficient n comfy. Servicing, no expensive fluids nor troublesome brake fluid access. 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will your budget go to an MG5, there is a newer LR coming out so the First ones might come down in price.
I had a look now (wasn't on my radar), it is a big car for what we need. I'd probably be OK but my wife will flatly reject it - took some convincing on Ioniq too.

1) the Ioniq 28kWh is pretty standard, so little to look for, no need to check the battery as with a LEAF.
2) no app, so cannot see the state of charge outside of the car. Equally no software issues from the app not working, no registration, possibly causing 12v battery failure etc.

28kWh car seems very stable for software, at 3 1/2 years / 33k miles, 4.5 to 5.5m/kWh,
proper motorway driving range of 100-120 miles (today shows 150 miles, but only at 40-50mph), charges up to 65kW, no discernable degradation.
On Friday will do 320 mile journey with top up at 60 mile, full charge at 140 mile, recharge at 240 mile. Each from 20-40 minutes. New Gridserve motorway chargers reduce the time as you get the full 60kW. Efficient n comfy. Servicing, no expensive fluids nor troublesome brake fluid access. 5 year warranty.
Thank you for the inputs, long journey's aren't a big priority for us personally - very few and far between but yes the charging infrastructure is getting better each days so will come handy when we need it.

·
Registered
6,682 Posts

Reliable Chademo charging too?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts