Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have booked a cottage on the Isle of Skye at the end of May.
All my earlier trips to Scotland were by ICE car and this one is going to be the first one fully electric.
So the question is obviously regarding CPS/CYC chargers. Will CYC app be enough to successfully charge there?
I can't see any point ordering CPS RFID card and paying £20 for just one trip as I may spend less than that (o even 0) on CPS chargers.
Any other tips?

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
610 Posts
The chargers en route to Skye are all CPS and there's no guarantee the app will work (unfortunately, it can be unreliable particularly in areas with a poor mobile signal). Although you may not use £20 of electricity, I think most drivers would recommend getting a CPS card. It's unlikely that you'll regret it!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
846 Posts
I suppose one way of looking at it is this: When you're stuck at a CPS charger that won't start with the app, and you're out of options, how much would you be willing to pay for a working RFID card there and then?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I have booked a cottage on the Isle of Skye at the end of May.
All my earlier trips to Scotland were by ICE car and this one is going to be the first one fully electric.
So the question is obviously regarding CPS/CYC chargers. Will CYC app be enough to successfully charge there?
I can't see any point ordering CPS RFID card and paying £20 for just one trip as I may spend less than that (o even 0) on CPS chargers.
Any other tips?
Best tip would be leave your BEV at home, hire an ICE and just think how clever you were in avoiding the £20 fee.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, didn't know the CYC app is problematic. Anyway CYC card ordered for peace of mind. (y)

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,638 Posts
Did I not read recently that CYC was being replaced by another company in Scotland, or am I confused?
You’re correct. SWARCO have now got the contract to run ChargePlace Scotland. Don’t know what that will mean for using the CYC app though.

Reactions: Tandy0

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Don’t know what that will mean for using the CYC app though.
I Would assume the CYC App and cards will no longer work beyond the changeover in a few months time. Probably a white label version of Swarco's E.Connect app and website will take it's place.

I was talking to Swarco recently about something unrelated and brought up the CPS contract. They copy-pasted a brief statement and refused to discuss it in any further detail yet, basically saying wait and see. So no real idea of what to expect, but on the plus side they have at least confirmed they won't be charging for RFID Cards in future.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
840 Posts
I just signed up and at no point was I asked for money or cc details? It seems as though there will be few free charge points though, I have been looking at prospective trips and few charge points are now free.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I just signed up and at no point was I asked for money or cc details? It seems as though there will be few free charge points though, I have been looking at prospective trips and few charge points are now free.
You can sign up for an account for Chargeplace Scotland yes, but that won't automatically send out a RFID Access card. You have to request one and at that point it will force you to set up a direct debit. Alternatively you can sign up in the app and it will take credit card details instead. When it comes to actually using the account you will need to provide financial information.

As for the cost of usage, yes. I imagine by the time that Swarco take control the few remaining areas with free chargepoints will have a new tariff imposed. Though this isn't really a shock, it was always expected to happen and if anything I am surprised that the free charging lasted as long as it did.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
We have booked for Thurso also in May. Can’t honestly see it happening myself but fingers crossed. Oh, and I saw my first Id3 in the wild this week! (Looked smart).
Yeah, I saw a white ID3 the other day and looked well nice :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
You’re correct. SWARCO have now got the contract to run ChargePlace Scotland. Don’t know what that will mean for using the CYC app though.
According to the e-mail they sent me, there will be a "new, improved mobile app". They will also drop the £20 membership fee.

Reactions: E7EV

·
Registered
982 Posts
We have booked for Thurso also in May. Can’t honestly see it happening myself but fingers crossed. Oh, and I saw my first Id3 in the wild this week! (Looked smart).
Passed through Thurso last September during my last day on the road while cycling LEJOG, while riding a cargobike similar to the one in my avatar.
The North coast of Scotland is both wild and beautiful.
I hope the pair of you enjoy your stay-cations.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf
119 Posts
Passed through Thurso last September during my last day on the road while cycling LEJOG, while riding a cargobike similar to the one in my avatar.
The North coast of Scotland is both wild and beautiful.
I hope the pair of you enjoy your stay-cations.
@Swagman - thanks buts it’s not a staycation, it’s a holiday in Scotland! A staycation means, holidaying from your home 😀👍

1 - 20 of 28 Posts