Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Picked up my P45 Yesterday, spent most of yesterday sorting out the settings on the car and the phone and fitting Mats etc.

Needed some shopping so off to my local Aldi which has in the corner of the car park 2 lonely EV charging bays with posts (never seen them used) so I thought may as well plug in while I get my shopping (and being in the far corner will not embarrass myself too much being I had never done this before)

2 posts back to back with a flap covering the charge port, both labelled as Newmotion and both had a big sticker on them saying "activate before Use" with a website and instructions on where to find the units serial number (on the side of each one)

Anyway guess what - No signal anywhere near the posts so I thought this is not going well, Feeling a little dejected I thought I would just connect my cable anyway just to see how easy it is to manage the cable and plug it in etc.....

When I plugged it in, the lights on the car started flashing and the charging display came up in the car - It works...

It showed that my car was at 81% (222 mi) and would take 1hr & 35m to 100% @ 10.9kW - as this was only a test to get used to using the points while doing my shopping, wouldn't normally need to charge over 80% for my day to day use.

Anyway I did my shopping and came back to the car (about an hour later) and the display showed that the car was at 94% (254 mi).

I was extremely happy at my very 1st attempt at charging an electric car, apart from the no signal it was really easy to do and is all the better that it adds a bit of free charge to the car while I do my shopping (y)

When I am due to do a long journey, will try the next challenge of the 1st use of a paid 50kW Pod Point Charger at the Local Lidl :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,736 Posts
Yeah, Aldi's Newmotion posts are a bit confusing.
All the signage points to you needing to log into them, but they come up as a "private network".
It turns out that they're just plug & charge, and Aldi pick up the bill. They're 22kW AC as well (v. useful for us Zoe owners!)

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
641 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase.

Yes, I was a tad confused with the Aldi NewMotion points the first time I used them, and after trial and error figured out they’re just plug in and let it do its business. They seem to be off the shelf chargers with all the stickers applied.
And as Wonko mentioned they are usually 22kW so perfect for my Zoe!

PS. Don’t give yourself a false sense of security regarding how easy you found it, sometimes chargers can be a complete pain in the backside! 😖

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PS. Don’t give yourself a false sense of security regarding how easy you found it, sometimes chargers can be a complete pain in the backside! 😖
Thanks for the reply (Also WonkoTheSaneUK) much appreciated, No I know that there will be times when charging will not go right etc, was just happy that that one worked. When I do go out into the wide wide world with the EV I will do my homework and have backup plans for charging like experienced people on this forum have explained in various threads which help newbies like me :)(y)

·
Registered
Ordered IONIQ 5, Ultimate AWD, Tech/Eco packs, Phantom Black & EV6 GT Line S, heat pump, Yacht Blue
10 Posts
I would be interested to hear from folks, as they get their cars and start using them in earnest, how the SatNav does with routing to chargers en route. From videos it seems like a reasonable system, but would be interesting to see how it works out in practice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would be interested to hear from folks, as they get their cars and start using them in earnest, how the SatNav does with routing to chargers en route. From videos it seems like a reasonable system, but would be interesting to see how it works out in practice.
I can't answer that but I would recommend just using A Better Route Planner, tells you where you need to charge and for how long, looks good and easy to use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This an interesting thread for a newbie to these forums and soon to be driver of a Hyundai Kona Ultimate. I have so far collected a fair number of apps on my phone for possible use at public chargers.

At the moment I have spent some time on Google maps looking at where a number of the public chargers that I want to try are sited and being a not very mobile elderley driver I am concerned at the supermarket ones that appear to be as far away from the main entrance as they possibly could be.

Most of the car charging will be done at home as a free BP Pulse charger has been installed and tested. I have chosen two
public charging places so that I can try my hand at connecting to them, one is in the grounds of a hotel and is a BP Pulse charger and the other is in a McDonalds' car park. I have seen reports that people who have used the hotel charger have ended up with a £60 fine because they had not registered their car details with the hotel reception at the time of charging.

The hotel BP Pulse charger is a CCS 50 (kW) and Type 2 43 (kW) and the McDonalds charger is an Instavolt CCS2 Combo 50 (kW) DC, the charger details are from the BP Pulse and Instavolt apps. Will spend time going through Hyundai Kona owners manual which some kind person on these forums provided a URL link for and will also try and view some YouTube videos relating to using public EV chargers.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
121 Posts
This an interesting thread for a newbie to these forums and soon to be driver of a Hyundai Kona Ultimate. I have so far collected a fair number of apps on my phone for possible use at public chargers.

At the moment I have spent some time on Google maps looking at where a number of the public chargers that I want to try are sited and being a not very mobile elderley driver I am concerned at the supermarket ones that appear to be as far away from the main entrance as they possibly could be.

Most of the car charging will be done at home as a free BP Pulse charger has been installed and tested. I have chosen two
public charging places so that I can try my hand at connecting to them, one is in the grounds of a hotel and is a BP Pulse charger and the other is in a McDonalds' car park. I have seen reports that people who have used the hotel charger have ended up with a £60 fine because they had not registered their car details with the hotel reception at the time of charging.

The hotel BP Pulse charger is a CCS 50 (kW) and Type 2 43 (kW) and the McDonalds charger is an Instavolt CCS2 Combo 50 (kW) DC, the charger details are from the BP Pulse and Instavolt apps. Will spend time going through Hyundai Kona owners manual which some kind person on these forums provided a URL link for and will also try and view some YouTube videos relating to using public EV chargers.
[/QUOTEs

Give your confidence a boost and use Instavolt first (never a problem and just use your contactless card). I like BP PULSE personally, but it can be a bit of a faff (contactless usually fails on me but the App often works). You are right about the hotels requiring you to sign in, but do that and you often have a good experience. Next favourite for me is Podpoint, because also easy-to-use App. Enjoy the experience!

Reactions: MrChaz

·
Registered
Kona64
1,761 Posts
@Aitcho have a look either via app or website to the zapmap and plugshare maps.
These are way better than trying to use google maps to find charge points, and, you can read what has happened on them recently. ( ie always works but no more than 32kw etc, car park sign says max stay 90mins etc )

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice IoniqHugh it is much appreciated. Will try the Instavolt first, certainly like the idea of using a contactless card makes things a lot easier.

I have the app for BP Pulse so might try using the app rather than contactless for that and see if I can get it to work. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Aitcho have a look either via app or website to the zapmap and plugshare maps.
These are way better than trying to use google maps to find charge points, and, you can read what has happened on them recently. ( ie always works but no more than 32kw etc, car park sign says max stay 90mins etc )
Thanks for the advice, I already have zapmap app on phone and have just installed the plugshare app you mentioned and will check it out later.

What I did not make clear in my post was that I use Google maps 'street view' for checking visually where the charge points I am interested in are situated after getting a location from zapmap, if the area looks too remote would try and find one in a busier location were there would be plenty of people about, usually supermarkets or suchlike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts