Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

First ever charge of an EV (New Owner)

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Aitcho 
This an interesting thread for a newbie to these forums and soon to be driver of a Hyundai Kona Ultimate. I have so far collected a fair number of apps on my phone for possible use at public chargers.

At the moment I have spent some time on Google maps looking at where a number of the public chargers that I want to try are sited and being a not very mobile elderley driver I am concerned at the supermarket ones that appear to be as far away from the main entrance as they possibly could be.

Most of the car charging will be done at home as a free BP Pulse charger has been installed and tested. I have chosen two
public charging places so that I can try my hand at connecting to them, one is in the grounds of a hotel and is a BP Pulse charger and the other is in a McDonalds' car park. I have seen reports that people who have used the hotel charger have ended up with a £60 fine because they had not registered their car details with the hotel reception at the time of charging.

The hotel BP Pulse charger is a CCS 50 (kW) and Type 2 43 (kW) and the McDonalds charger is an Instavolt CCS2 Combo 50 (kW) DC, the charger details are from the BP Pulse and Instavolt apps. Will spend time going through Hyundai Kona owners manual which some kind person on these forums provided a URL link for and will also try and view some YouTube videos relating to using public EV chargers.

Thanks for the advice IoniqHugh it is much appreciated. Will try the Instavolt first, certainly like the idea of using a contactless card makes things a lot easier.

I have the app for BP Pulse so might try using the app rather than contactless for that and see if I can get it to work. :)

@Aitcho have a look either via app or website to the zapmap and plugshare maps.
These are way better than trying to use google maps to find charge points, and, you can read what has happened on them recently. ( ie always works but no more than 32kw etc, car park sign says max stay 90mins etc )
Thanks for the advice, I already have zapmap app on phone and have just installed the plugshare app you mentioned and will check it out later.

What I did not make clear in my post was that I use Google maps 'street view' for checking visually where the charge points I am interested in are situated after getting a location from zapmap, if the area looks too remote would try and find one in a busier location were there would be plenty of people about, usually supermarkets or suchlike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.