Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd try it out on my way to work this morning! My first choice bay in Horseferry Rd had a G-Wiz in it (at least it was being used properly!) but around the corner there are two bays plus a car club one containing a Zipcar Ampera. The first post I tried wouldn't read my card at all. The second one accepted my card - I tried the Type 2 cable first but it wouldn't start charging until I closed the door - not possible with the huge pistol grip plug! Is this normal? Fortunately it worked fine with the EVSE and I don't have to move it until 12.30 which should be plenty of time.

Rare pic of two Amperas charging together: image.jpg

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have read about some charging stations being fussy like that. I guess it's mainly the early ones, before type 2 cables became popular....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If a charge post won't start the charge until the door is closed then it is still configured as a 13A socket. The post needs to be reconfigured by the network operator. Best to report it and ask them to reconfigure. Can normally be done over the air but often takes a while to set up and reboot.

Last time I found a post that needed reconfiguring it took them a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Podpoint has been posting on Facebook saying that one of their engineers "podboy" has been out to rescue users whos cables got trapped, like its something to be proud of. Have seen at least 2 posts in the last week about rescues.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not uncommon at all. Source London's network has given me all sorts of failures over the last couple of years. Its a shame that its so unreliable, I now always have a backup plan because its so hopeless.
I have written letters and reported every issue over the phone but so many times I return to the same spot months later and encounter exactly the same problem.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
To be fair to @podpoint I think thats why they now have podboy to get out on the street and fix these issues. I have also had mixed feelings about @sourcelondon but it does seem to be getting better ever so slightly

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To be honest I have started with pretty low expectations having read past threads on here - but at least I did find a working post without too much bother this morning (and at least the electricity is 'free' - for now at least).

I'm going to be reliant on public charging for the foreseeable future, so it's just as well I have quite a choice of locations around work (and the situation isn't too bad at home either). Probably just as well I didn't buy a pure EV though.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If a charge post won't start the charge until the door is closed then it is still configured as a 13A socket. The post needs to be reconfigured by the network operator. Best to report it and ask them to reconfigure. Can normally be done over the air but often takes a while to set up and reboot.

Last time I found a post that needed reconfiguring it took them a couple of hours.
Hi @Paul_Churchley

I think this must be the case for lots of the Chargemaster owned posts. I tried one today that was clearly a newer model (Type 2 sockets only, covered by a sprung plastic flap rather than the locking metal cover) and still got the 'Close door to begin charging' message. Unfortunately the person I spoke to on the helpline didn't seem to understand what the problem was, or the difference between the connectors o_O

1 - 10 of 10 Posts