Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

First Fault...

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  cah197 
#1 ·
Hopefully it clears up but my ACC would not turn on this morning on the way in, had to resort to actually driving, old school :rolleyes:

I hope this isn't the beginning of more faults

#3 ·
If ice or snow blocking the sensor was the issue then that's pathetic given the temperatures in the UK were not very cold.

#9 ·
I don't. It was not my suggestion that it was the cause of the issue and I was not agreeing with it. Given your experience it sounds like something else - don't jump to conclusions about what I say!

#15 ·
Read with interest about the ACC comments - my 2's worth .. A cautionary warning about the ACC system (hopefully it's been improved / better built quality than back in 2014 !) ...

On my Golf Estate 2014 - approx. after it was 2 years old - it threw up an ACC fault while driving at 50mph, the fault wouldn't clear. Ended up taking it into a dealer under warrantee - they discovered that inside ACC/Radar unit, behind a bezel - a small mirror (the size of your small finger nail) had "dropped out" - It's essential for function of the unit. Then ensued a significant battle with the dealer who inspected the fault, they claimed it had been tampered with, but when I asked how or why? they couldn't explain? ... but when I asked how is this mirror fixed in - I was told it's "adhered" - so I said "glued"? after a battle of words - they agreed that "adhering" meant "glue" ... I then went onto say - so a device that is exposed to road vibration, extremes of heat/cold and can get hit with road debris, relies upon a mirror "GLUED" in? ... and then added - would you stick a picture to a wall with glue and expect it to stay there - under those conditions ... the mechanic and the service manager refused to comment.

Being told that I would have to pay over £1200 for a new unit, and it's set-up / alignment - I took the car away and took the matter up with VW Milton Keynes, who after threats of legal action - agreed to pay for the fix of the fault as a "goodwill gesture". I naturally took it to another dealer - who was polite and a pleasure to deal with - problem fixed, not happened again (fingers crossed) - conclusion - a faulty component with dodgy Glue !

#16 ·
Yep - My BMW 4 series used to have problems with ice snow Parking sensors ACC radar Sensor would become troubled with ice/ snow build up when driving in snow and start showing up alarms/ faults. It really was a transient condition and corrected its self when the snow build up fell off the sensors.

Snow one of the weather conditions that will cause disruption to our lives. It causes far bigger problems with transport this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.