Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my car at the start of the month - some early views and a couple of qns:

• impressive just how quiet it is and it surprises me every time. my kids and others who have been in it always remark on this
  • cabin is a nice place to be and Android auto is a great addition, meaning the infotainment is better than my previous car, the similarly sized BMW X1. the sound system is fine for my needs - comparing to prev car it is not as good as the harmon kardon audio, but much much better than the standard audio in a BMW. the sunroof seems smooth and well made, and the rear view camera is very clear.
  • the somewhat bouncy ride of the car is well documented and noticeable, however it encourages a more leisurely driving style - and I don't think is a big factor in town/city driving which will be the majority of my time in the car. I've seen on these boards mention of facelift version - MG really should address the suspension in the next version of the car, IMHO this would be much more impactful than a few cosmetic changes.
  • much fewer bongs than I expected so far :)
  • overall driving experience is good. In Eco mode I find the car is easily quick enough for getting around town. I have been using KERS in mode 2 as it feels close to what I am used to while also providing some regeneration, Mode 3 seems too slow too aggressively for my liking but this may change as I get used to the car.
  • I don't have a home charger unit yet but hopefully soon with Pod Point. I tried a public 7kw charger and after a few attempts it worked and I got about 30 miles from a short top up of under an hour. I was quite pleased with this as I started at about 125 miles range.
  • I bought a 3 phase cable to future proof it if I change car at a later stage. However I would not do this again as the cable is quite heavy and I think the single phase cable is easier to manage and roll

Couple of questions for longer term owners:

• does the small battery get a charge at the same time as the big battery? Mine shows 14V out of a max of 16V
  • if the car has been started and ready but is not moving, does the infotainment and heating draw from the small battery or main battery

Overall very happy with it so far, and enjoying the transition from diesel ICE

·
Registered
92 Posts
1. No. 2. Main.
The 12v battery is only charged whilst the car is in ready or driving.
So accesories will drain the 12v if you don't press the brake as you press the start button.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
14.4 volts +/- 0.2 volts is the normal charging voltage for a 12v battery. You would never expect or want to see it at 16 volts. :oops:

If it's at 14 volts while the car is in use it is being charged, otherwise it would be down in the 12-13 volt range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts