Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hard to believe that I have already had the car for a week, so first impressions of the E-Niro 4+ having owned a MK3 2.0 TDI Superb for the last five years.
1) It's so quiet, as you would expect.

2) Ride is comfortable if not a little firmer than the Skoda, but ok, the weight of the battery pack obviously requires substantial suspension.

3) Steering is so light, but positive, which is surprising due to the weight of the car, feels quite nibble.

4) Quick of the mark, hit the throttle and she takes off quicker than you would expect, love it.

5) Road / Wind noise, not a lot, in fact very pleased, at 60 Mph almost no wind noise, compared to the Skoda, I am sure the Michelin tyres make a difference compared to the Pirelli P3's on the Skoda .

6) Seat's, well I think they are lovely, very comfortable, they fit around you, seat heating is very good, and there is plenty of adjustment with good lumber support, better than the Superb.

7) Internal finish, quality it is very good, a little more hard plastic in places compared to the Superb, I think Kia would do well to use more soft touch plastic trim, carpets at first look seem a little less substantial than they could be, something a little heavier would be nice, but they are ok, and with carpet mats fitted you don't really notice.
Piano Black trim, well it looks lovely, very nice finish, but there is a lot of it, same as the Superb, all I can say is take the utmost care because it will scratch just looking at it.

8) Instrumentation and Infotainment system, good quality, positive feel to all controls, infotainment 10.25" display is lovely, clear and sharp with more options than you could think of, very customisable. You can see exactly what the car is doing in terms of charging, consumption, both main drive motor and auxiliary equipment, regenerative charging / braking and range both on the driver instrument panel and the infotainment screen.

9) Lane assist, blind spot detection, parking sensors, speed limiter, smart cruise control, traffic sign recognition and all the other driver assistance equipment seem to work very well, much the same as the Superb, I love this stuff and made full use of it on the Superb, that is why I waited for the 4+.

10) External Paint and Plastic Trim finish is very good, the Yacht Blue is so deep and rich, I have to say paint finish is better than Skoda which is fantastic, I have had GardX applied which is well worth it.
I have a sharp eye and inspected every panel before signing the handover document, I could not find fault, good paint protection is a no brainer for me, I had Lifeshine on the Skoda it did a fantastic job, the car was easy to clean and not a swish or swirl in sight even after five years.

11) Lighting, well it is very good, all external lighting is LED except for rear indicators, number plate lamps, fog and revering lamp, I have to ask, why ???, surely Kia should have done away with all filament lamps, especially on an EV, Skoda did almost the same thing, don't get that.
Internal lighting again all LED, except for the vanity mirror lamps, again, I ask why oh why, the mood lighting is nice, but there is not any on the doors, unlike the Skoda, all switches background colour is red, would be nice to be able to change that to white, personal preference.

So all in all, very pleased with my first EV and my first Kia, hope others will find this information useful.
PS.
UVO app is up and running, has worked perfectly since connected, and tried out trickle charger, which worked surprisingly well.

Attachments

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
Good review thanks.
I noticed your Granny charger is set for the lowest current (8A). I assume that is deliberate?
If not, do you know it can be changed between 6/8/10A with the rear button?
Sorry to tell what you probably already know, but just thought it was worth a mention. Even if you know, this might help others.
Peter

Reactions: Lasvegas666

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good review thanks.
I noticed your Granny charger is set for the lowest current (8A). I assume that is deliberate?
If not, do you know it can be changed between 8/10/12A with the rear button?
Sorry to tell what you probably already know, but just thought it was worth a mention. Even if you know, this might help others.
Peter
Hi Peter,
Yes, I played around with the Granny Charger, tried it on the various setting, just to see how it worked and to check if there where any issues with overheating at the 13A socket, but it all worked very well.

Steve.

Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
If you can, keep it at 12. Losses get higher as the amps get lower. Nice impressions, almost fully concur. Coming from a Superb you will have lost quite some boot space. I came from an Octavia and the missus kept complaining about the Niro's boot, even though it is quite sufficient for 99% of our needs.

I am not so sure about the road noise. The car is pretty quiet, but on rough roads it could do with better soundproofing if you ask me. Wind noise is superb as is indeed handling on motorways. Like you, I make full use of the assistants (except for LKA on winding roads, which is a pain) and they make life a lot more relaxed behind the wheel. Congrats on having a great car.

Registered
first impressions of the E-Niro 4+
Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences and thoughts.

I have a YB due for delivery in a few weeks, it is reassuring that your collection experience was very positive and that you are delighted with your e-niro. 馃憤

I'm just wondering if that is your home in the background with the solar panels? If so, you will be quids-in with the e-niro!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can, keep it at 12. Losses get higher as the amps get lower. Nice impressions, almost fully concur. Coming from a Superb you will have lost quite some boot space. I came from an Octavia and the missus kept complaining about the Niro's boot, even though it is quite sufficient for 99% of our needs.

I am not so sure about the road noise. The car is pretty quiet, but on rough roads it could do with better soundproofing if you ask me. Wind noise is superb as is indeed handling on motorways. Like you, I make full use of the assistants (except for LKA on winding roads, which is a pain) and they make life a lot more relaxed behind the wheel. Congrats on having a great car.
Yes I miss the boot on the Superb, but it became a bit of a storage space for my Motorcycle gear, :) :). but I don't miss the TDI and the DPF was going to be an issue now that I do such short journeys.

My other half said to the dealer when she opened the boot, "how will i get all my suitcases in there"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences and thoughts.

I have a YB due for delivery in a few weeks, it is reassuring that your collection experience was very positive and that you are delighted with your e-niro. 馃憤

I'm just wondering if that is your home in the background with the solar panels? If so, you will be quids-in with the e-niro!
Yes that is my house in the photo, and the solar panels was a deciding factor on the EV purchase, so hoping to get some free energy during the good summer months.

Registered
Yes that is my house in the photo, and the solar panels was a deciding factor on the EV purchase, so hoping to get some free energy during the good summer months.
馃榿馃憤

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line

Interesting... Mine seems to do 6, 8 or 10a not 12.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, now that you mention it, so does mine, never gave it a thought, car manual clearly says 8, 10, 12A

5. Each time the button (1) is pressed, the control box display is sequentially changed to 12A, 10A and 8A. (*鹿, *虏 )

Registered
Oops sorry folks. It is indeed 6/8/10A. I鈥檝e corrected my post above.

Note to self, must stop relying on my imperfect memory before quoting stuff!
Peter

Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
That is indeed very strange. Mine is definitely 8 / 10 / 12. Local regulations?

Registered
That is indeed very strange. Mine is definitely 8 / 10 / 12. Local regulations?
I think it will be simply a caution against overheating 13A plugs/sockets.
The UK 13A plug is really not the best design around. Despite its title (13A plug), they are often not great at carrying very high currents especially so for long periods or continuously. To carry the full rated 13A current the plug and socket has to all be in perfect condition. The fuse itself can overheat along with resistive or oxidised fuse holder clips.

The rectangular pins are inherently prone to poor contact quite often. The socket connector clips can become oxidised or weak causing resistive connections. With high currents, (kettles, fan heaters, tumble dryers etc etc) it鈥檚 not unusual to find the pins to be noticeably hot when you unplug it. It鈥檚 not uncommon for them to badly overheat and even occasionally start fires. So I suppose they are just being sensibly cautious. I don鈥檛 think it鈥檚 a regulatory thing AFAIK.

Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a proper analysis. Too bad, maybe a couple of more years in the EU and the UK could have had proper installation standards ;)
I am a retired High Voltage Engineer, our long established cable colours of Red, Yellow, Blue should never have been changed to European colours, I have seen near catastrophic misunderstanding of the new colour wiring, especially the new Blue cable being mistakenly used as a live phase instead of Neutral.
And especially when connecting the new colour wiring to older Red, Yellow, Blue phases.

Attachments

EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208 / '22 ID.3 Family
(y) Interesting to read as I went from a Superb estate to an i3 (quite a drop in boot space!) and will shortly be moving into a Kona.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
(y) Interesting to read as I went from a Superb estate to an i3 (quite a drop in boot space!) and will shortly be moving into a Kona.
What persuaded you to go for the Kona, my son has a Hyundai ioniq hybrid, which is a lovely car, I went for the Kia mainly because of the little bit of extra room and the 7 year warranty.

Registered
To be honest, I'd say you barely cover your house load with those - 6 x 300w at most ?? I see they are East facing too and I cannot imagine you have any on the other side given the shading that you would have from those trees.

At solar noon, you might generate 1.6kW. Car charging needs 1.4kW min to start, which means you house needs to be using less than 200w at the time.

If you put in 1.4kW for one hour, you might save 15-20p. It would barely raise the e-Niro SOC by 2%.

For Solar charging of an EV, you really need about 5kWp and south facing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be honest, I'd say you barely cover your house load with those - 6 x 300w at most ?? I see they are East facing too and I cannot imagine you have any on the other side given the shading that you would have from those trees.

At solar noon, you might generate 1.6kW. Car charging needs 1.4kW min to start, which means you house needs to be using less than 200w at the time.

If you put in 1.4kW for one hour, you might save 15-20p. It would barely raise the e-Niro SOC by 2%.

For Solar charging of an EV, you really need about 5kWp and south facing.
Yes the solar panels will not make life changing charging for the EV, currently the panels generate 1400kWh per year, some times a little more, our electricity bill annually is a consistent 拢600, our SSE FIT return has also constantly returned 拢240 annually.
So our thoughts where that the 拢240 return from the FIT would at least allow us to pump some power into the EV, not much but worth having if you see what I mean.

Registered
Hard to believe that I have already had the car for a week, so first impressions of the E-Niro 4+ having owned a MK3 2.0 TDI Superb for the last five years.
1) It's so quiet, as you would expect.

View attachment 139322
I am also switching from a MK 3 TDI Superb L&C to the e-Niro in early march I was hoping to go with the Enyaq but that is delayed until later this year

The only things I will really miss are the cavernous boot and electric tailgate (handy when your hands are full) the 4+ has most of the toys the Superb has

How do you find the smaller boot space, I do carry a lot of work stuff around when travelling for business but will probably manage with seats folded down just have to be more strict with what I leave in the boot when not travelling,

Will keep you posted when mine arrives

Cheers

Steve

1 - 20 of 75 Posts