Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Zoe R110
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first test drive. Trophy in Volcano (fizzy) orange.
I'm not taken by the orange I thought it was supposed to be metallic but it doesn't look it, now waiting to see the red in real life.
Negatives first,
The cars should be supplied with everything turn off as far as possible. They seem to have the what is now normal but ridiculous amount of bongs and warning.
I could not get the drowsiness warning to stay off and constantly got warnings and bongs to concentrate whilst driving even with both hands on the wheel. I could turn it off in the menu but it would come straight back on when you exit the menu.
Bongs for accelerating whilst in cruise control. Yes, I know I have pressed the accelerator for good reason, I do not need a constant bing bing bing bing to tell me. ACC is still nice to have, my Zoe doesn't :(
When the car is in park and either of the front doors (don't know about the rear) are opened then you get a bong. This seems like some american thing but why warn me when the car is in park, I just want to get out of my car.
I tried turning most stuff off but to me it feels like groundhog day again with the ZS.
~10-20mph seemed to have a lot of road boom from the tyres. Could just be as the car had only done 10 miles when I got in it but still seemed too much for a new car, the rest of the time it was plenty quiet enough although did get a bit of vibration at 70mph, That could have again been from sitting still on a boat for the last month or so.
Boot space is bit of a let down, yeah, rear wheel drive, space and all that, but make a frunk, there is plenty of room with a tiny amount of work it would have been easy and given some compensation for the smaller boot space.

Power is nice, not as sharp as I was hoping for off the line but whilst moving it has some decent pep for sure.
I know it is supposed to be a dual ratio steering rack but I couldn't tell, which is a good as I was half expecting to notice some transition to a faster rate but if it exists it was good.
Visibility is good, decent amounts of glass down to a decent level, so you can see, unlike far too many new cars these days with tiny windows.
Rear room is nice, feet under the front seat makes it a comfortable sit. Shame we can't get the white interior.
Ride is good, but the demo car had a bit of a high pitched squeak from the rear somewhere. forgot to mention that to them.

Infotainment is just something that needs getting used to. Worked fine for me, was even able to use the sat nav to locate the dealer by name whilst searching, no idea what brand of satnav it is though. It clearly just needs some time sat in front of it to understand what it can and can't do. Straight away I could tell it was better than the ZS though. Shame it isn't angled to the drive though, only needs a bit but reflections did cause issues.

Personally I am more on the fence than I was before the test drive. It just wasn't quite that level of OOooooooo that I was hoping for. Hard to say exactly what I would change apart from the bongs of course.
Two bits that are just a niggle for me. The first should be fixable in the software. The 360 camera view is on the wrong side of the display. It is hard to see that from the drivers side with everything else on the screen Yes I know it can be in the middle but at the expense of seeing the other two images. The other is just cheapness from the design team, the gear selector knob is on the wrong side as it is obviously designed for left hand drive. Sitting in the passenger seat and both points are significantly better. Not a deal breaker but just a minor point in software and one bit of plastic needs changing.

I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen or figured out what this is supposed to say.
Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive tire

I'm sure I won't be opening the flushing or violent switch as they sound like bad things to do but I get what they mean from the image just no idea what the wording is supposed to be.
Made me chuckle though.:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just had my first test drive. Trophy in Volcano (fizzy) orange.
I'm not taken by the orange I thought it was supposed to be metallic but it doesn't look it, now waiting to see the red in real life.
Negatives first,
The cars should be supplied with everything turn off as far as possible. They seem to have the what is now normal but ridiculous amount of bongs and warning.
I could not get the drowsiness warning to stay off and constantly got warnings and bongs to concentrate whilst driving even with both hands on the wheel. I could turn it off in the menu but it would come straight back on when you exit the menu.
Bongs for accelerating whilst in cruise control. Yes, I know I have pressed the accelerator for good reason, I do not need a constant bing bing bing bing to tell me. ACC is still nice to have, my Zoe doesn't :(
When the car is in park and either of the front doors (don't know about the rear) are opened then you get a bong. This seems like some american thing but why warn me when the car is in park, I just want to get out of my car.
I tried turning most stuff off but to me it feels like groundhog day again with the ZS.
~10-20mph seemed to have a lot of road boom from the tyres. Could just be as the car had only done 10 miles when I got in it but still seemed too much for a new car, the rest of the time it was plenty quiet enough although did get a bit of vibration at 70mph, That could have again been from sitting still on a boat for the last month or so.
Boot space is bit of a let down, yeah, rear wheel drive, space and all that, but make a frunk, there is plenty of room with a tiny amount of work it would have been easy and given some compensation for the smaller boot space.

Power is nice, not as sharp as I was hoping for off the line but whilst moving it has some decent pep for sure.
I know it is supposed to be a dual ratio steering rack but I couldn't tell, which is a good as I was half expecting to notice some transition to a faster rate but if it exists it was good.
Visibility is good, decent amounts of glass down to a decent level, so you can see, unlike far too many new cars these days with tiny windows.
Rear room is nice, feet under the front seat makes it a comfortable sit. Shame we can't get the white interior.
Ride is good, but the demo car had a bit of a high pitched squeak from the rear somewhere. forgot to mention that to them.

Infotainment is just something that needs getting used to. Worked fine for me, was even able to use the sat nav to locate the dealer by name whilst searching, no idea what brand of satnav it is though. It clearly just needs some time sat in front of it to understand what it can and can't do. Straight away I could tell it was better than the ZS though. Shame it isn't angled to the drive though, only needs a bit but reflections did cause issues.

Personally I am more on the fence than I was before the test drive. It just wasn't quite that level of OOooooooo that I was hoping for. Hard to say exactly what I would change apart from the bongs of course.
Two bits that are just a niggle for me. The first should be fixable in the software. The 360 camera view is on the wrong side of the display. It is hard to see that from the drivers side with everything else on the screen Yes I know it can be in the middle but at the expense of seeing the other two images. The other is just cheapness from the design team, the gear selector knob is on the wrong side as it is obviously designed for left hand drive. Sitting in the passenger seat and both points are significantly better. Not a deal breaker but just a minor point in software and one bit of plastic needs changing.

I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen or figured out what this is supposed to say.
View attachment 167088
I'm sure I won't be opening the flushing or violent switch as they sound like bad things to do but I get what they mean from the image just no idea what the wording is supposed to be.
that last bit is astonishing and shows poor product management to me. I’ll look at that tomorrow.
thanks.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,780 Posts
Trophy tested today but could not get SatNav or ACC on which I wanted to test. Drive and regen felt smooth tested in sport and normal, not long enough test really but 1st impressions of the drive are positive. Anyone know what SRC in options is next to ACC? Driving with good anticipation makes one pedal driving possible. Able to turn off lane assist but kept prompting to concentrate so I must look tired and need coffee as cup sign kept popping up. 😴

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I had my test drive yesterday and was impressed with the ride; don't recall having rear wheel drive before in my collection of old bangers. Eco setting was lively enough for me and I managed to get rid of bongs or at least I didn't notice any, likewise lane assist. No significant noises to worry about but again my standards may be different, but I'd say quieter than my ZS.

I didn't test the sat nav which I rarely use anyway. Get some screen wipes as finger marks were very evident. I had a number of questions which the dealer was unable to answer, the launch does seem to have been a bit rushed and no accessories are available from MG. Presumably those for the Mulan would fit, does anybody know?

Like UKTechie there were a few items and TLAs on the menu I didn't understand so an evening with the manual and a long play seems in order.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
6,245 Posts
View attachment 167088
Google Lens Translate reports that the Chinese says exactly what the English does.
This question was also asked on the MG EV forum, and the consensus was that it's simply a warning to not jetwash the car while the charge flap is open.
Common sense, really

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,780 Posts
SE Standard range also only got a 10 min ride, the other dealer told me button I said was ACC was heated steering wheel, I pressed it this time and it was ACC but did not get to test on motorway at 29mph felt like it was trying to drive for you.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Google Lens Translate reports that the Chinese says exactly what the English does.
This question was also asked on the MG EV forum, and the consensus was that it's simply a warning to not jetwash the car while the charge flap is open.
Common sense, really
Hi, Chinese here and I hope I could chip in a bit (since I see very few Chinese here but a lot of curiosities), the sort of translation here is the sort of typical ‘machine translation’ (机翻), and a pretty bad one. One reason this failed so badly is that the Chinese script is poorly written on the first place (quite surprised how such a big company can be this bad, but trust me it still happens - luckily that’s not something serious, but you’d be surprised how many serious issues some cheap cars can have in China…).

Based on what’s written in Chinese, it’s trying to say ‘Please do not jet wash the area when (the port) is open, or violently open/close (the port)’

The reason the machine translation failed are 1. It missed ‘在’ (a word used to designate a time/location, like ‘when’), 2. It missed the subject (the charging port), 3. It Mis-translated 开关, which could be both the word for ‘switches’, or a short hand of ‘opening and closing’. 4. The first bit and the second bit of the sentence really doesn’t have much to do with each other, not helped by the fact ‘and’ (和) was used instead of ‘or’… Now Chinese is a language that’s very much based on interpretation, it’s speakers are expected to read between the lines, but for an algorithm , with such a vaguely written script on the first place, one really can’t expect more…

·
Registered
Zoe R110
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like someone has just got a new job at SAIC and if not, why not? They clearly need your help. :cool:

I got the bit about pressure washing from the little image but never thought about pulling the flap open. Maybe a little moot though as you can only see it AFTER you've pulled open the flap !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like someone has just got a new job at SAIC and if not, why not? They clearly need your help. :cool:

I got the bit about pressure washing from the little image but never thought about pulling the flap open. Maybe a little moot though as you can only see it AFTER you've pulled open the flap !
Glad I could be of help!

And on SAIC haha as a Chinese would be hard since that's state-owned (so likely would need to have some sort of connections or will be paid very badly... perhaps why this sort of thing happens), and to be honest they are not the one with the best of the reputation of being 'honest' (among all state-owned, private and joined ventures). I think people back home would be surprised they're so popular here as really they are really not doing very well back home (tho our family's first car was also made by SAIC-GM too), and now even joint ventures with GM and VW are struggling (both product and reputation), hence now the export market is basically their only way out and they must've made a big bet on this car (maybe one day I'd write a proper reply regarding my humble opinion on SAIC, uncomfortable questions about its background etc... )

Anyways, I hope this car would be good and stays that way for years to come (the 'industry norm' in China is that the first couple of model years are always better than the later ones, and the for-export ones tend to be better made than the for-domestic ones). Also, willing to help if anyone needs 'small translation jobs' done :).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Why are the wheels on the red Trophy different?

I thought that they were all the same!

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The picture to me was saying don't swing the charging lead around like a drugged up pop star from the 80s swinging a mic.

Then again, I'm also crap with smileys :cry:

Gaz

• Haha
Reactions: Zarni
1 - 20 of 20 Posts