Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our e-Niro arrived on Saturday. Unfortunately we had a busy weekend and little time to try out the car. However, first impressions are:
  • Quiet
  • So effortless to drive, so relaxed (probably just a BEV thing). It is compelling
  • Comfortable seats, really very comfortable seats
  • Acceleration is very different to an ICE car; fuss-free, rapid (if you want), and immediate
  • My wife's colour choice (white) was a good pick
  • New interior - white piping, less teal, ambient lighting - looks even classier than before
  • The 10" screen is a little better than the earlier screen but as much for its clarity as its width
  • Speedometer is not the best. Speedometers with a needle (even a needle drawn on a digital display) are still the simplest and easiest to read quickly
  • Managing speed through the feel of the car is hard; there is little difference between 40 and 30 in terms of noise for example
  • Glovebox is a bit small
  • Storage space under the gear selector looks promising but struggles to fit the things I would have hoped to store there
  • Auto high/low beam selection seems more useful than I would have guessed
  • Manual is ridiculously large
  • Start-up and shut-down tunes less annoying than I thought they would be
I had driven the garage 2019 demonstrator and the ride in our 2020 seems less nervous. Don't know if that is just perception (quite possible), a variation in individual cars or whether Kia tweaked anything between model years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree about the digital-only speedo. I was hoping it would be possible to change the setting to get an analogue display as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My wife and I went for our first longish expedition yesterday to test out the car's range and features. I charged to 100% (GOM estimated 311 mile range) and drove from North Manchester to Whitby which was a 240 mile round trip, much of it by motorway. When we arrived home the GOM showed 19% or 49 miles. I was very impressed with that as we'd had the aircon on for most of the journey.

@Phevourite, just wait until you try out the stop/start feature. We hit standing traffic on the A169 and the e-niro made this part of the journey literally effortless. 😃 Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Now I've had the digital speed for over a year I really miss it when I drive other cars.
It's very easy to see the exact speed and I can't see the point of an analogue dial any more.

@Gary J What was your average speed on your 240 mile trip? I have to sit at 60-65mph to achieve those kind of miles from a charge.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now I've had the digital speed for over a year I really miss it when I drive other cars.
It's very easy to see the exact speed and I can't see the point of an analogue dial any more.

@Gary J What was your average speed on your 240 mile trip? I have to sit at 60-65mph to achieve those kind of miles from a charge.
Hmm... difficult to say. We spent much of the time on the motorway at around 65mph but we also had a significant part of the journey on 'A' roads at an average speed of around 40-45mph. As I mentioned, we were also in crawling traffic for about 25mins. I drove in ECO mode with regen set to auto. I have found auto regen is the best setting for mp/kWh economy.

·
Registered
146 Posts
  • Speedometer is not the best. Speedometers with a needle (even a needle drawn on a digital display) are still the simplest and easiest to read quickly
  • Managing speed through the feel of the car is hard; there is little difference between 40 and 30 in terms of noise for example
This is an interesting point. I remember having a discussion with my dad about this maybe 10 years ago. He was of the opinion that analogue needles would always be a thing as they're easier to read, and that a digital display would be too distracting (e.g. constantly jumping between 39 and 40 out of the corner of your eye).

Personally, I much prefer the digital display. I use cruise control in my current car and it has a little digital readout of the current speed setting, in addition to the needle, which I really like. In my wife's i30, the cruise control doesn't have a digital readout (you can get one in the menus, if you sacrifice other info like economy or range readouts), and having to glance at the needle to check what speed I'm at is definitely more annoying. The digital display in the e-Niro wasn't distracting at all, not sure if that's because of the higher riding position.

As for speed, I agree with that completely. Coming from an ICE, pushing the pedal down in a relaxed way and looking up to see you're already speeding is slightly worrying! I guess it's something one gets used to in a BEV.

Agreed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife and I went for our first longish expedition yesterday to test out the car's range and features. I charged to 100% (GOM estimated 311 mile range) and drove from North Manchester to Whitby which was a 240 mile round trip, much of it by motorway. When we arrived home the GOM showed 19% or 49 miles. I was very impressed with that as we'd had the aircon on for most of the journey.

@Phevourite, just wait until you try out the stop/start feature. We hit standing traffic on the A169 and the e-niro made this part of the journey literally effortless. 😃 Enjoy the car!
Hmm, stop/start feature. I'll have to look at that. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I am not against the digital speedo either Woodulike. The readout that really does't work for me yet is the circumferential barograph thing.

It is the fact that humans are way better at measuring angular displacement than any other relative positioning that makes needles so effective - particularly for reading trends or taking really quick readings. Seems a pity to go to the effort of adding a second indicator, the bar, and then designing it to not exploit the best in human capabilities.

·
Registered
456 Posts
This is an interesting point. I remember having a discussion with my dad about this maybe 10 years ago. He was of the opinion that analogue needles would always be a thing as they're easier to read, and that a digital display would be too distracting (e.g. constantly jumping between 39 and 40 out of the corner of your eye).

Personally, I much prefer the digital display. I use cruise control in my current car and it has a little digital readout of the current speed setting, in addition to the needle, which I really like. In my wife's i30, the cruise control doesn't have a digital readout (you can get one in the menus, if you sacrifice other info like economy or range readouts), and having to glance at the needle to check what speed I'm at is definitely more annoying. The digital display in the e-Niro wasn't distracting at all, not sure if that's because of the higher riding position.

As for speed, I agree with that completely. Coming from an ICE, pushing the pedal down in a relaxed way and looking up to see you're already speeding is slightly worrying! I guess it's something one gets used to in a BEV.

Agreed.
If it has Android auto Waze has a speedo bong and display if you go over the limit, well needed in a Kona without sat nav

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, our e-Niro arrived on Saturday. Unfortunately we had a busy weekend and little time to try out the car. However, first impressions are:
  • Quiet
  • So effortless to drive, so relaxed (probably just a BEV thing). It is compelling
  • Comfortable seats, really very comfortable seats
  • Acceleration is very different to an ICE car; fuss-free, rapid (if you want), and immediate
  • My wife's colour choice (white) was a good pick
  • New interior - white piping, less teal, ambient lighting - looks even classier than before
  • The 10" screen is a little better than the earlier screen but as much for its clarity as its width
  • Glovebox is a bit small
  • Storage space under the gear selector looks promising but struggles to fit the things I would have hoped to store there
  • Auto high/low beam selection seems more useful than I would have guessed
  • Manual is ridiculously large
  • Start-up and shut-down tunes less annoying than I thought they would be
I had driven the garage 2019 demonstrator and the ride in our 2020 seems less nervous. Don't know if that is just perception (quite possible), a variation in individual cars or whether Kia tweaked anything between model years.
you must have orderd your e niro before the grant came down to £3000 on 1/4/20 did you get the full grant of £3500 or was it reduced to £3000 mick h

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you must have orderd your e niro before the grant came down to £3000 on 1/4/20 did you get the full grant of £3500 or was it reduced to £3000 mick h
The dealer applied for the grant before the grant dropped, so yes we did benefit from it. They were talking as if they would have honoured the price anyway, but who knows?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the annoying "ding dong" alert is every 10 mins on the new e-Niro 4? I don't have speed limit warning on, not crossing lanes, etc. I wondered if it was the attention warning keeping me awake? Nothing comes up on the screen or cluster.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the annoying "ding dong" alert is every 10 mins on the new e-Niro 4? I don't have speed limit warning on, not crossing lanes, etc. I wondered if it was the attention warning keeping me awake? Nothing comes up on the screen or cluster.

Thanks
Speed camera?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes there's a setting specifying camera warnings, on or off. By default it's off.
I'm not sure it's that because it happens when I'm not using the inbuilt navigation but have turned off camera alerts anyway. Will see on work commute.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another thing about the e-Niro, no-one knows that it is electric. I was plugging the car in a couple of days ago and a lady I did not know who was passing spontaneously said 'Oh, its electric'. You cannot see inn the photo but there was a chap in a Porsche 356A replica nearby and we had a chat and he had no idea it was an EV either. People just don't. Which I think is just fine.

Other things to add to the first impressions then:
  • I love the fact that the charging door locks with the rest of the doors, and that the charge cable is locked in place when charging - two things I had not realised
  • The range of adjustment on the driver's seat is superb. I like the seat back rather upright and I have never driven a car with a powered seat which can go as upright as this one
  • The charging pad for the phone is great. However, the you realise that you will still have to plug the phone in to use Apple CarPlay, damn
  • CarPlay - what a revelation. If you are used to it, then I am sure that this is nothing special but wow, what a technological step forward to get all that flexibility. Well worth having
  • The sound system in the 4 sounds really good. In the default settings it is surprisingly flat. It doesn't have a boomy bass or resonant top-end as many vehicles do and yet has a reasonable response into the higher frequencies. Combined with the car's natural quietness, it makes for a brilliant listening experience on the move, especially for more delicate music or spoken voice
  • My boot linear arrived today. There is an issue with most cars now and the e-Niro is no exception. To get to the items stored in the lower of the two underfloor trays... We have to lift out the dog hair liner cloth, the boot (sorry, trunk if you are that way include) liner, the floor, the special little piece of floor on the right side of the boot, the stored luggage cover and the upper tray. Once I get down there I have a roadside pile the size of a long weekend's baggage allocation on the pavement beside me!
  • The door pockets fit bottles reasonably well but apart from that are quite small. other my previous cars had huge door pockets though
  • When I walk near to the car, the mirrors fold out for apparently no reason

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's not side mirrors fold out for no reason. That's the way the motored mirrors work when you approach within 1m of the car with the smart key. Maybe if you change the switch inside door from Auto it will stay folded or unfolded? Not sure haven't tried as left it on auto. Is a pain though. When I walk past my car I have to pass within 1m as it's a narrow area even when not using car the mirrors unfold.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts