Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my Kona on Monday 20.7.20
Nice car. My wife likes it!!
After the Leaf, it is very easy to use the controls, and the steering wheel adjusts!
Drove in Eco, but the regeneration does not feel as strong as the Leaf, and as you lift your foot off the brake the Kona
starts moving before you touch the accelerator.
I have not driven far but once or twice the steering feels odd and seems to move on its own to straighten the wheels.
You can feel it pull against your grip.
Very comfortable seats and a great driving position.
I miss the front camera and overhead view of the Leaf!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi there. Congratulations on getting your Kona. The regeneration can be set with the steering wheel paddles. Level 3 is quite strong (not sure how it compares to the LEAF). The self steering is due to the Lane Keep Assist and/or the Keep Line Assist. When you get used to them, I find them a really helpful tool which takes some of the strain out of driving.

I hope you enjoy your driving.

Alan.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,600 Posts
@henryv Congratulations. You can turn off the lane keep its a button near the steering wheel I seem to remember. Its fine on motorway/duel carriageways but not anywhere else really.

·
Registered
16,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there. Congratulations on getting your Kona. The regeneration can be set with the steering wheel paddles. Level 3 is quite strong (not sure how it compares to the LEAF). The self steering is due to the Lane Keep Assist and/or the Keep Line Assist. When you get used to them, I find them a really helpful tool which takes some of the strain out of driving.

I hope you enjoy your driving.

Alan.
Thanks Alan.
I notice that in Eco mode it is set at Level 2.
Can you change this to Level 3?
Do you prefer Eco over Comfort mode?
I could not find out how to set the charging level down from 100%.
Do you think it matters whether or not you charge to 100% each day?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
the regeneration does not feel as strong as the Leaf, and as you lift your foot off the brake the Kona
starts moving before you touch the accelerator.
The default regen and the 'creep' when neither pedal is pressed are a simulation of a typical ICE automatic. It makes it easier for people who drive both.
As above the regen is changeable, but I can't remember if the creep can be changed. (After playing with it all when I first got mine I just leave it in the default 'Comfort' for most things.)

The charge levels are another layer down from the EV screen - IIRC you tap the battery state of charge image (upper right-ish on the EV screen) to get to them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks Alan.
Both settings, seeing of Regen for each drive mode, as well as the max charging level can be set in the EV menu in the entertainment console.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The default regen and the 'creep' when neither pedal is pressed are a simulation of a typical ICE automatic. It makes it easier for people who drive both.
Only way to change that is auto hold, which can be turned on with the button just behind the great shift buttons.

Although, if you bring the car to a stop using the steering wheel paddle (not the foot brake), it will hold by itself as well and not creep.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the Kona, it’s really worth watching the videos that EV Puzzle has done on YouTube. He goes through most of the functions in detail. As to the Regen function I use level 1 on all drive modes with Auto Regen set to On this will automatically adjust the level as you coast up to slower traffic.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks Alan.
I leave mine in ECO and put regen to 0 as coasting is more efficient than recouping electrons on the flat. (SCC and the foot brake will take care of regen for you).
On the infotainment screen, if you tap the righthand panel which shows your battery charge and remaining miles, it will bring it up on the screen in its own pane. Tap the bottom left panel and you will get options for setting the the charge level for both AC and DC charging. I normally have mine at 80%. You can also set the current draw for station (wall charger) and portable (granny charger) to maximum, reduced, or minimum.

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
349 Posts
Yesterday I sat in the back with my grandson and he says, "grandy, what does that button do." It took me a couple of rethinks - and then I remembered. "Heated rear seats."

There are a lot of features in this car. It can take some time to find them all and try different settings to get it right for you. I've had mine since March and I have only just found out the rear seats can be heated. Not much use on a UK day when the temperature is going to be over 30degC, but hey ho.

Reactions: henryv

·
Registered
767 Posts
Welcome to the Kona, it’s really worth watching the videos that EV Puzzle has done on YouTube. He goes through most of the functions in detail. As to the Regen function I use level 1 on all drive modes with Auto Regen set to On this will automatically adjust the level as you coast up to slower traffic.
I agree that the EV Puzzle videos are really informative. And also the thread from stageshoot which he posted when he got his car and wrote up a great deal of extremely useful information about the various settings in a very informative way, complete with photos.
Very much easier to follow than the official handbook.
This is the thread It's arrived its well worth reading it right through - more than once!

·
Registered
Kona Premium Se - 64k , 2020 model.
349 Posts
Also check out battery life on youtube Hyundai Kona EV. He has 31 really detailed videos on every feature.

Reactions: henryv and Veeoh

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I'd also recommend reading the manual! (Shocking I know!) :) Weirdly it answers all of your questions... who'd have thought it ;)

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd also recommend reading the manual! (Shocking I know!) :) Weirdly it answers all of your questions... who'd have thought it ;)
It didn't give me the "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything"

John.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
16,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great idea!!o_O
In fact I am reading the manual too, but it's nice to ask people who have real experience of the car.
You pick the car up, and start driving while the manual is In the glove box.
I started reading it when I got home, but it is long and rambling, but I will get through it in the coming days/weeks.
In the meantime the excellent advice I have had on here has been most helpful!
Thank you all!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts