Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this error message popped up tonight. I had charged up, gone to do some shopping then it appeared when I went to come home. Satnav would not work, map stayed static. No cruise and when I came home no reversing camera just a big black box. Went out later and did a reboot of the screen, Satnav is still showing where I was when it happened, the message is still showing but reversing camera is now working again. I didn't go out in it to check the cruise. It looks like my first booking to the service centre is on the cards.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All seems to be working fine this morning although when I did get in the car the map was still showing the place that it stuck at yesterday but once moving quickly changed. Everything else seemed to work as if nothing had happened.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just had this happen yesterday. Driving home, after a couple of minutes the screen went black (while driving - not very safe!). Fortunately, I was on a quiet country road and knew the route. The car continued to drive okay so I just looked for somewhere to pull in and call Tesla.

A few minutes later, while I was still driving and looking for somewhere to pull over, the screen system rebooted itself and the car behaved normally from that point onward. Except, I have the same notification message on the screen as that shown above by the original poster.

Not impressed by the screen information system spontaneously going black and rebooting while I was driving at 60 mph. I'm guessing that might even contravene UK road safety regulations.

Will call Tesla Service department tomorrow, when it is open, and see what they have to say.

Oh, and this was my first issue too.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weird (memory is not what it used to be). I scrolled up to find what message had been displayed only to find out it was me as the original poster. Just as an update, no further issues since and the car has never been back to Tesla for anything. Fingers crossed for you that it was just a glitch.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just had this happen yesterday. Driving home, after a couple of minutes the screen went black (while driving - not very safe!). Fortunately, I was on a quiet country road and knew the route. The car continued to drive okay so I just looked for somewhere to pull in and call Tesla.

A few minutes later, while I was still driving and looking for somewhere to pull over, the screen system rebooted itself and the car behaved normally from that point onward. Except, I have the same notification message on the screen as that shown above by the original poster.

Not impressed by the screen information system spontaneously going black and rebooting while I was driving at 60 mph. I'm guessing that might even contravene UK road safety regulations.

Will call Tesla Service department tomorrow, when it is open, and see what they have to say.

Oh, and this was my first issue too.
Same thing has happened to me at least once in my close to 2 years of ownership.

Never thought of phoning Tesla about it though. Sure it's slightly disconcerting when it happens but you're only without the screen for a couple of minutes and everything is fine after that, it's such a minor inconvenience I almost forgot it ever happened.

By all means please tell us what Tesla say, however.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,239 Posts
Ours is doing quite a lot of screen freezing and/or random re-booting, not yet whilst driving though.

Still love it, so put the torches and pitch forks away 😂, but I’m getting to the point where I just accept that all modern EVs will have glitches.

As long as they get fixed, that’s the main thing. For my wife, it’s her first EV, and she’s far less forgiving... Her reference is a BMW 218d that didn’t miss a beat in 100k and over 4 years.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I get that glitches are part of the modern story - even on the software for ICE cars - I just draw the line at them occuring while I am actually driving. It happened to be safe where I was at the time, but could easily have occured in much more difficult circumstances. I'm not really a torch and pitchfork guy but I do want to stay alive.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I get that glitches are part of the modern story - even on the software for ICE cars - I just draw the line at them occuring while I am actually driving. It happened to be safe where I was at the time, but could easily have occured in much more difficult circumstances. I'm not really a torch and pitchfork guy but I do want to stay alive.
Do you really need the screen for keeping you alive while driving?

The lights and wipers are automatic, you still have control of the indicators and wipers, the only thing that you might miss would be the speedo.

Cars have been driving for 100 years without screens

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the black screen this morning just as I wanted to join the A34. Yes the car was still moving and reacting to the accelerator pedal, however indicators weren't working as far as I know. First time this happened to me in the 18 months of ownership. I agree with others that this rebooting should not happen whilst driving, could have been a real problem in situations where one doesn't know the road/route! Will report this to the SC to at least get this logged on my file.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did not report mine because everything reset to normal overnight -- maybe I should have. Let us know what the SC have to say. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts