Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another story of the first non-local long(ish) run. Needed to be on a customer site 127 miles away yesterday, the first long run in the Niro. Charged to 90% at home and expected to do a brief rapid top up before driving home.

Got to the BP Chargemaster rapid I planned to use and, of course, it doesn’t work. I had a backup osprey in mind but that’s expensive and the car indicated I’d get home with 15-20 miles to spare, so decided to trust it and didn’t charge.

Left home at 90%, used some heating and mostly driving in the dark. Got home 255 miles later with 8% left and an indicated 5.2mi/kWh.

I tend to be a slow motorway driver anyway but though on the journey home I was consciously watching the speed, it was actually no slower than the morning’s run in heavy traffic.

The Niro is an absolute joy for the longer run. This is the first time I’ve driven a car with the modern driver aids and whilst I don’t really like them on the local roads they’re great for distances on the motorway.

The main reason I went for this car is the ability to do a journey like this without having to worry about range and whether the planned charge stops are available and working.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I hadn't planned to charge I'd definitely have done that... I hadn't expected to make both legs of the journey without a topup, that was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was pretty leisurely. Didn’t do more than 58 heading home. 127 miles in 2hours 44 which is a pedestrian 46mph average. That takes in several stretches of 50mph average speed checks, some extensive stops at temporary traffic lights in Wales and the slow bits at the end. So I knew I was taking it easy but it didn’t feel ridiculous. I wasn’t being passed by lorries uphill. If the rapid charger I’d planned to use had worked I’d probably have just driven a bit faster.

Interestingly the morning trip was only about 17 minutes quicker, and I had cruise set at 65. Much heavier traffic and the same 50mph sections.
725E6CDE-78B2-4527-8BC1-53D9108A670F.png

·
Registered
307 Posts
Topography and weather are big factors, e.g. returning home from Scotland the other day I did a rapid charge to 80% in Bristol then set off with a battery range of about 200 miles according to the car, at about 170 miles from home, but despite keeping at or below 60mph on the M5 and A30 the car hit ‘turtle mode’ a couple of miles from home. The A30 through Devon and Cornwall is very hilly and it was raining hard. Similarly on our recent tour of Spain on one leg we set off with a 50 mile range buffer which entirely disappeared over 200 miles at 100kph into a strong headwind forcing a two hour top up at an AC charger just to reach the next rapid. OTOH on a largely downhill 40km drive into Malaga we arrived with more battery than we started with!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weather, particularly wind, makes a huge difference with any car. A long drive to Scotland in a diesel Mondeo in heavy rain and string winds I could see the fuel gauge dropping.

this run was quite pleasing, across the Pennines isn’t the flattest route.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts