Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tomorrow the family and I embark on our first long distance trip in the leaf. I know it may be nothing to some but it will be the first long journey and I have company to prove my mis-calculations (hopefully none)

Traveling from Nottingham to Newcastle to Sunderland (overnight) then back to Nottingham

any tips? I think I can do it in two charges one at woolley edge & Scotch corner.

EDIT: maybe three stops think I'll have to call at weatherby too

Wish me luck :)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Tip 1 - Passed 80% SOC the charge rate really drops off when rapid charging. If you are more than 60 miles to your next charger I would recommend having the patience and charge to 90% or more.

Tip 2 - Speed kills the range on long distance trips. As hard as it seems never exceed 60mph if you have a long distance between chargers.

Goodluck! Should be easy peasy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just plan a bit. Check the charger locations and make sure they're working. Keep your speed under control.

When I'm charging I tend to have a look at ZapMap, and then use google maps and the iPhone mapping app to make sure my plans for the next leg are good. I've noticed that the iPhone map app sometimes disagrees with the Google one by as much as ten miles in seventy.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we made it just! 360 mile round trip.

It was all going well, charged three times on the way at ecotricity rapids all worked well. Met my first fellow leaf charging :) charged for between 10-20 mins. It took a while to get there but them I'm used to doing 70+ mph. Anyway it was all good till we got to a car park in South Shields with 17 miles remaining and then realised my cyc app wouldn't work with the charging posts :( rang the number on the post and it was dead. So had to limp to a Nissan dealer in Sunderland and when I say limp we made it with 5% left.

Not so good on miles/kWh on the way back due to high winds a set of alloy wheels and a niece picked up, I'm not sure the car could of been any more loaded!

Charged 4 times on the way back and did plan to go via the York outlet for a look/charge but it was too late by the time we past by.

Really impressed with the charging infrastructure in the north east. I hope we catch up with it around here. It did feel like the EV capital though I saw two leaf's a Zoe and a amperea within 100 yards of each other, my first Zoe I might add

360 miles and it cost me about £3 in electricity but £30 in coffee, gregg's and biscuits :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well done Gazjen, I fear for your waistline though!

That's what my OH said about stops, 'we'll spend more on grub than electric'. lol

I went from Cambridge to Ascot yesterday, driven in an ICE.

I was actively looking out for EV's but didn't see a single 1! :(
Probably not as easy to spot from the back seat though.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Well done Gazjen! Yes it def needs a bit of compromise but that it is now possible to drive 360 mile round trips is impressive. I did the same twice last year. Was a lot more relaxed about it when I drove myself instead of with passengers. Easier to doze or switch off at some of the stop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts