Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Kona 2021 Premium 64kW
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just back from my first long journey in the Kona and thought I would share my experience.
We live in Wiltshire are were going to the Lake District for a week, we’ve had the Kona for about 3 months but all previous journeys have only been up to about 150 miles round trips so only ever charged on my home charger.
So downloaded a load if the charging apps and zap map and pinpointed some possible charging locations. In the Lake District not many chargers outside of hotel provided ones but found the best options to be the instavolt chargers and the booths supermarket sites and these all hade 4 chargers so chances are we would find availability.
My plan was to just drive the car normally as I would an ICE car, so use air con as needed, and just drive the car in normal mode.
So set off with a full battery and travel up the M5 / M6 and stopped at Sandbach M6 service station for a break, approx. 160 miles, battery down to around 55%, 2 Electric Highway chargers at this site and on arrival both were free, plugged in and then found the connector did not work, unit would then not released the cable from the car, tried locking and unlocking the car, and also resetting the charger with the emergency stop but nothing would release the cable, so popped the bonnet and used the emergency’s release, which released the cable (would prob have forgotten about this if I hadn’t read about it recently in the forum 😊) The charger had 2 x CCS connectors so tried the other one which worked fine. Went for a coffee and when we came back it was charged up to 82%. We then continued our drive up to the Cheshire Oaks outlet for the night, only a further 40 miles, the plan was while at the site to charge with the chargers at the outlet but all these are out of action and fenced off….looks like they are upgrading the number of chargers they will have on site, their was also a podpoint free charger around the corner, but this only had 2 sockets one not working and the other being used, we also looked at another charger while at M&S but this unit was completely out of service so no charge available in this area, we did not need a charge as we still had around 200 miles, so not a big issue.
Following day we continued up to Kendal a further 100 miles so now down to about 35%, headed for the instavolts at booths in Kendal, when we arrived 3 of the 4 were free, plunged in and started charging, parking attended was on site so asked about the charging and parking costs, he advised if the car is plugged in then no cost to park. We then headed off for a look around Kendal, after a while the car was completely charged and the app showed all 4 chargers being used, so I headed back to the car and moved it to a normal parking space and paid for parking to free up the charger for another EV user.
We then spend a few days driving/walking and seeing the sites around the Lake District, driving the Hardknott Pass & Honister Pass which was a bit difficult at times with passing cars.
After a few days we visited Keswick, charge was at this point at about 30% so headed for the instavolts at Booths, when we arrived only one other car charging so again no issues getting charged.
Back to a full charge so again ok for a few days, on our last day in the lakes we had planned to come down to the Trafford Centre Manchester for a night. The charge we had left before leaving was sufficient to get us to Manchester with about 25% left so all good, when we arrived at the Trafford centre I plugged into the Be.EV charger, this is a free charger and I had already downloaded the app, but I had not realised even though it was a free charger I still had to set up an account and provide my bank details to be able to start a free charge so a bit of a pain having to sort this all out before the charge would start, but once done all ok.
This then gave us sufficient charge to get all the way back home.
So to sum up, it was not as hard as I expected, all chargers we used were just contactless, plug in, tap your card and the charge starts, very simple to use, the car was a dream on the motorway and excellent around all the thin winding lake district roads. I prob had a bit of range anxiety but with some planning so you know where the chargers are it was not a problem at all…all in all a lot easier than I expected.
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle registration plate Car Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Wheel Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle Sky Plant community Vehicle Plant Mountain

·
Registered
125 Posts
This was really interesting reading @PeteS1

Particularly as we will be needing to make similar journeys: Hampshire to Lancaster/Morecambe area.

I always thought I might wimp out and hire a car (my wife hates traveling and delays) but your experience might stiffen my backbone!

Good to see Booths are still going and helping with the move to electric.

What model Kona have you got? How long did you have to wait for it? I’m getting my home charger (Sync EV; untethered to keep things tidy for The Supreme Leader…..) fitted next week and car is - allegedly - due at the end of October. I suspect this might be a bit optimistic (what with the chip shortage, pandemic, no HGV drivers etc).

Thank you again for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
Kona 2021 Premium 64kW
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was really interesting reading @PeteS1

Particularly as we will be needing to make similar journeys: Hampshire to Lancaster/Morecambe area.

I always thought I might wimp out and hire a car (my wife hates traveling and delays) but your experience might stiffen my backbone!

Good to see Booths are still going and helping with the move to electric.

What model Kona have you got? How long did you have to wait for it? I’m getting my home charger (Sync EV; untethered to keep things tidy for The Supreme Leader…..) fitted next week and car is - allegedly - due at the end of October. I suspect this might be a bit optimistic (what with the chip shortage, pandemic, no HGV drivers etc).

Thank you again for sharing your experience.
Hi CJKonaE I have a premium 64Kw, I ordered mine in early June and got the car within 2 weeks….I think I got mine just before they started getting long delays in delivery. Home charger I went for the Andersen A2, as it was on the front of the house wanted something like you which was tidy…..I was a bit nervous about the trip, but it was a lot easier than I expected….as long as you have researched the chargers and know what you are doing it’s not too bad…..we never were hanging around waiting for it to charge….when on the motorway chargers we just put on for the time we were in the services just to give a top up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same experience with a trapped cable when I first used a rapid charger. It turned out I had the auto cable release turned off. It's a button with a plug on it to the right of the dash, bottom row near the driver's door.

I had to lock the doors, then unlock them and remove the CCS cable within a few seconds, before the car relocked the cable. It's normal function is to stop theft of your cable when you use untethered chargers.

Did you read the zap-map chat for the chargers you planned to use? It can be useful for finding units that are out of service or inaccessible. Sometimes the chat
is old, and may not be relevant. You also get tips about which CCS cables to try first.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just back from my first long journey in the Kona and thought I would share my experience.
We live in Wiltshire are were going to the Lake District for a week, we’ve had the Kona for about 3 months but all previous journeys have only been up to about 150 miles round trips so only ever charged on my home charger.
So downloaded a load if the charging apps and zap map and pinpointed some possible charging locations. In the Lake District not many chargers outside of hotel provided ones but found the best options to be the instavolt chargers and the booths supermarket sites and these all hade 4 chargers so chances are we would find availability.
My plan was to just drive the car normally as I would an ICE car, so use air con as needed, and just drive the car in normal mode.
So set off with a full battery and travel up the M5 / M6 and stopped at Sandbach M6 service station for a break, approx. 160 miles, battery down to around 55%, 2 Electric Highway chargers at this site and on arrival both were free, plugged in and then found the connector did not work, unit would then not released the cable from the car, tried locking and unlocking the car, and also resetting the charger with the emergency stop but nothing would release the cable, so popped the bonnet and used the emergency’s release, which released the cable (would prob have forgotten about this if I hadn’t read about it recently in the forum 😊) The charger had 2 x CCS connectors so tried the other one which worked fine. Went for a coffee and when we came back it was charged up to 82%. We then continued our drive up to the Cheshire Oaks outlet for the night, only a further 40 miles, the plan was while at the site to charge with the chargers at the outlet but all these are out of action and fenced off….looks like they are upgrading the number of chargers they will have on site, their was also a podpoint free charger around the corner, but this only had 2 sockets one not working and the other being used, we also looked at another charger while at M&S but this unit was completely out of service so no charge available in this area, we did not need a charge as we still had around 200 miles, so not a big issue.
Following day we continued up to Kendal a further 100 miles so now down to about 35%, headed for the instavolts at booths in Kendal, when we arrived 3 of the 4 were free, plunged in and started charging, parking attended was on site so asked about the charging and parking costs, he advised if the car is plugged in then no cost to park. We then headed off for a look around Kendal, after a while the car was completely charged and the app showed all 4 chargers being used, so I headed back to the car and moved it to a normal parking space and paid for parking to free up the charger for another EV user.
We then spend a few days driving/walking and seeing the sites around the Lake District, driving the Hardknott Pass & Honister Pass which was a bit difficult at times with passing cars.
After a few days we visited Keswick, charge was at this point at about 30% so headed for the instavolts at Booths, when we arrived only one other car charging so again no issues getting charged.
Back to a full charge so again ok for a few days, on our last day in the lakes we had planned to come down to the Trafford Centre Manchester for a night. The charge we had left before leaving was sufficient to get us to Manchester with about 25% left so all good, when we arrived at the Trafford centre I plugged into the Be.EV charger, this is a free charger and I had already downloaded the app, but I had not realised even though it was a free charger I still had to set up an account and provide my bank details to be able to start a free charge so a bit of a pain having to sort this all out before the charge would start, but once done all ok.
So to sum up, it was not as hard as I expected, all chargers we used were just contactless, plug in, tap your card and the charge starts, very simple to use, the car was a dream on the motorway and excellent around all the thin winding lake district roads. I prob had a bit of range anxiety but with some planning so you know where the chargers are it was not a problem at all…all in all a lot easier than I expected.
View attachment 150135 View attachment 150136 View attachment 150137 View attachment 150138
A great write up and photos. Write ups about your 'real world experience' like this can only help people who are maybe balking at making the leap from ice to EV. I made a similar journey from York to Cornwall in my Kona a few weeks ago with a similar experience as yours re charging, covering 1000 miles without any issues. Thanks again, I enjoyed reading it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
89 Posts
Very interesting @PeteS1. We have family in the Lake District (Cartmel Fell) a journey of about 335miles one way from the Dorset coast.
Up to now we’ve only done Heathrow and back, a round trip of 260+ miles, which we did without charging, just relying on the full charge we had when leaving home.
So your story was very helpful, as we are planning a trip to the Lakes around Christmas, so any and all information will be extremely helpful.
By the way, we always do the Wrynose & Hardknott pass trip every visit, along with a trip to Castle Rigg and the lesser visited Northern lakes. 👍

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
728 Posts
View attachment 150135 View attachment 150136 View attachment 150137 View attachment 150138
Moral of the story - stick to Instavolt if at all possible and you'll be fine. Osprey very good second choice. I have used all the Booths ones in the Lakes, painless every time (and their cafes are not bad too).

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Moral of the story - stick to Instavolt if at all possible and you'll be fine. Osprey very good second choice. I have used all the Booths ones in the Lakes, painless every time (and their cafes are not bad too).
If this advice was printed on a card and given out with all new EVs there would be so few posts from new EV owners terrified after trying public charging for the first time….

·
Registered
Kona64
1,826 Posts
Do you recall your mi/kWh for the trip ?

·
Registered
Kona 2021 Premium 64kW
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you recall your mi/kWh for the trip ?
I didn't record the details but had a look in the car system and got the following details, this did not now go back far enough to cover the full trip.
15/09 - Driving around the lake district local roads (100 miles average 4.83kWh)
16/09 - Driving around the lake district local roads (56 miles average 4.30kWh)
17/09 - Mix of A roads and motorway (102 miles average 4.17kWh)
18/09 - Majority motorway (203 miles average 4.23kWh)
i was driving in normal mode, no differently than i would a ICE car heating on ect, on motorway was using cruse control most of the time, traveling at around 70-75.
not sure how accurate the car data is as on the 15/09 it also showed one journey of 1546miles at 4.3Kwh, so i excluded this as clearly this was not correct

·
Registered
125 Posts
I didn't record the details but had a look in the car system and got the following details, this did not now go back far enough to cover the full trip.
15/09 - Driving around the lake district local roads (100 miles average 4.83kWh)
16/09 - Driving around the lake district local roads (56 miles average 4.30kWh)
17/09 - Mix of A roads and motorway (102 miles average 4.17kWh)
18/09 - Majority motorway (203 miles average 4.23kWh)
i was driving in normal mode, no differently than i would a ICE car heating on ect, on motorway was using cruse control most of the time, traveling at around 70-75.
not sure how accurate the car data is as on the 15/09 it also showed one journey of 1546miles at 4.3Kwh, so i excluded this as clearly this was not correct
I’m thick. I know MPG for ICE cars, but what is kWh? Is this the equivalent?

·
Registered
177 Posts
@PeteS1 is saying 4.83kWh but means 4.83ml/kWh, which is imperial; most metric measurement countries express EV power consumption as kWh/100km - at the charger you are buying range in kilowatt hours.
So 12.5 kWh/100km inverted becomes 8km/kWh which converts to 5ml/kWh...

·
Registered
718 Posts
@PeteS1 is saying 4.83kWh but means 4.83ml/kWh, which is imperial; most metric measurement countries express EV power consumption as kWh/100km - at the charger you are buying range in kilowatt hours.
So 12.5 kWh/100km inverted becomes 8km/kWh which converts to 5ml/kWh...
Bjorn uses kWh/km, and it seems an odd way to view it to me. It tells you how efficient your car has been, but you then have to work out how many kWh you've got left in your battery by taking the battery capacity and dividing it by the perentage left to work out how far you can go. With miles/kWh, you just take the distance you want to travel and divide it by the ml/kWh to get a ball park figure of whether you need to stop for a top up.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,791 Posts
Bjorn uses kWh/km, and it seems an odd way to view it to me. It tells you how efficient your car has been, but you then have to work out how many kWh you've got left in your battery by taking the battery capacity and dividing it by the perentage left to work out how far you can go. With miles/kWh, you just take the distance you want to travel and divide it by the ml/kWh to get a ball park figure of whether you need to stop for a top up.
No. Bjorn does use kWh/100km or Wh/km. For example, 16.9kWh/100km is 169Wh/km (is 3.7mi/kWh).

And re-starting the argument between imperial and metric is pointless.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,826 Posts
Not all CJ, there's way too many different measurements !

My UK Kona shows "fuel" usage in this measurement of miles covered per kWh unit
So the higher the number (like with mpg) the more efficient, you covered more distance for a unit of fuel.
However other settings, other countries etc etc etc

I'm sure someone can add 4.8m/kWh is about like 55mpg whereas an eTron doing 3.2 on the same trip converts to 41mpg etc. --- I don't know the actuals.

Thanks @PeteS1 it's interesting to see what people get.
It reminds me not to expect the same 4.8 > 5.5s from my local sub 100mile trips when I am lucky enough to go places further afield!

Reactions: CJKonaE

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sure someone can add 4.8m/kWh is about like 55mpg whereas an eTron doing 3.2 on the same trip converts to 41mpg etc. --- I don't know the actuals.
A litre of petrol is equivalent to about 9 kWh (LINK). An imperial gallon is about 4.5 litres, so a gallon of petrol is equivalent to about 41 kWh (rounded).

It follows that 4.8m/kWh is equivalent to 4.8 * 41 = 194 mpg

My long term average in my Kona is 14.2kWh/100km. That equates to about 1.6 litres/100km which converts to 176 mpg. (Converter here.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts