Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First long run yesterday, 160 mile round trip, mainly duel carriageway doing about 60mph. Warmed car up while plugged in before setting off, temp around 0°c. First 80 miles arrived with 104 miles on gom and 54% battery. Second 80 miles set off and range quickly dropped to 85 miles, arrived home with 12 miles on gom and 6% remaining. Bit squeaky bum at the end, not too bad. Happy that the conditions for range were probably worst possible.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is why I love my Ioniq, 38kWh battery and it would have also just made it. VW have a long way to go with efficiency, lets hope they get it sorted sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
442 Posts
For me, the elephant in the room with the comparison between the 2 cars is that the Ioniq has something like 120-135bhp and the ID3 has about 200bhp, that's somewhere in the 50% range more power and potential draw on the battery. Factor in the additional 250kgs that the ID3 drags about, it's not really fair comparison.

·
Registered
570 Posts
For me, the elephant in the room with the comparison between the 2 cars is that the Ioniq has something like 120-135bhp and the ID3 has about 200bhp, that's somewhere in the 50% range more power and potential draw on the battery. Factor in the additional 250kgs that the ID3 drags about, it's not really fair comparison.
It is also a much bigger car, which should also go against it. The extra weight in the ID.3 is from the batteries, and obviously the heavier motor, and I'm not sure why you need 200bhp in anything but a performance car, after all the standard ID.3 is just a family hatch back, not a GTI model designed for hooligans and lunatics to race around the streets in. The power where it is important from 0-35 is more than adequate, so to me that goes against the ID.3, and if the motor is drawing more power then maybe VW should have used a different design, after all how many people would prefer a longer range at the same cost vs. 1.5 sec quicker to 60mph? My bet is 95% of the buyers of this version of the car.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
It is also a much bigger car, which should also go against it. The extra weight in the ID.3 is from the batteries, and obviously the heavier motor, and I'm not sure why you need 200bhp in anything but a performance car, after all the standard ID.3 is just a family hatch back, not a GTI model designed for hooligans and lunatics to race around the streets in. The power where it is important from 0-35 is more than adequate, so to me that goes against the ID.3, and if the motor is drawing more power then maybe VW should have used a different design, after all how many people would prefer a longer range at the same cost vs. 1.5 sec quicker to 60mph? My bet is 95% of the buyers of this version of the car.
There will be plenty of versions of the ID.3 with lower power and/or bigger battery packs if that’s what people want.

The ID.3 is competitive efficiency wise for its size and power, not sure why people keep saying it isn’t. 🤷

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
455 Posts
First long run yesterday, 160 mile round trip, mainly duel carriageway doing about 60mph. Warmed car up while plugged in before setting off, temp around 0°c. First 80 miles arrived with 104 miles on gom and 54% battery. Second 80 miles set off and range quickly dropped to 85 miles, arrived home with 12 miles on gom and 6% remaining. Bit squeaky bum at the end, not too bad. Happy that the conditions for range were probably worst possible.
What was your SOC at the start, 100%?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,661 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind, apart from the weather/temps, is that you won’t be getting full range or efficiency from a new battery pack.

I noticed the same on my new e-Golf, until the battery has a few cycles under its belt and the car itself is a bit more ‘run in’, you might be expecting a little more.

Maybe I’ve learnt to drive the ID.3 a little more efficiently in the few weeks I’ve owned it (just over 3k miles now) but it’s returning better range and efficiency now than when brand new, even though the weather has got colder if anything.

Won’t be long now until the warmer weather and everybody will be posting 200+ mile ranges on a charge.

·
Registered
557 Posts
When Bjorn tested the id3 he concluded it was very efficient. . . Is there more to find? Hopefully so for id3 owners but I think it's a long way from being terrible.
The ionic 38 may have made the trip in question, or may not? It was cold yesterday. I got home with less than 10 miles range remaining having used much more of my buffer than I expected after slowing down and reducing heating.
I have a Kona 64, (not as efficient as ionic bit not bad), set off with 95% (first miscalculation as wanted 100, but miscalculated time needed to get there when setting timer). Did about 110-120 miles at motorway speed to halfway point and was showing 48% outside temp varied between -1c and 2c, was obviously too close for comfort so charged up to 60% on a rapid before the return leg, and arrived home with 6% remaining having dropped speed for last 30 or so miles to manage consumption, again average temp just above freezing. Quite pleased I put that eyebrow raising 12% in ("why are we charging, we should be able to do this easily"), and wished I'd stayed a little longer, when swmbo noted "oh were not going to have much electric left when we get home are we?"

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm not sure why you need 200bhp in anything but a performance car, after all the standard ID.3 is just a family hatch back, not a GTI model designed for hooligans and lunatics to race around the streets in.
Because for every person out there happy to do 37 in a 60 because "its a limit and not a target" , there are people who want to make use of the power they have...

There's a reason why Teslas sell so well. It's not for their environment creditals, its for their BIK benefits and ability to headbutt the horizon.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Because for every person out there happy to do 37 in a 60 because "its a limit and not a target" , there are people who want to make use of the power they have...
I'm sorry does my car not do 70mph? I am lost. I stick to the speed limit when appropriate, and I hope you do as well! Reaching it 1.5-3.0 secs quicker doesn't make the car better, as we literally aren't in a race, so it makes no difference other than personal satisfaction. I am sure you'll tell me differently though.

There's a reason why Teslas sell so well. It's not for their environment creditals, its for their BIK benefits and ability to headbutt the horizon.
I don't think the BIK has and effect on the mass market for the cars, since the UK is but a blip in sales numbers, they sell well as they are good (for the most part) vehicles and got there first.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think they’ve judged the power pretty much spot on, its heavy so power to weight wise it’s its not a performance car really. Also its more than just about 0-35, overtaking power is a big consideration from higher speeds (or in ICE terms in gear performance) from a convenience and a safety perspective.

The lower powered ID3s are lighter so likely still have a decent power to weight ratio too.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think the BIK has and effect on the mass market for the cars, since the UK is but a blip in sales numbers, they sell well as they are good (for the most part) vehicles and got there first.
I'm talking about the UK market...

2.3m cars were sold in the UK in 2019, 1.2m of those were fleet cars so yes, the BIK is important as more than half of new cars on the road are company cars. If speed wasn't a factor, then the Hyundai would be the benchmark for electric cars and not the Tesla. I mean, why would you spend 70k+ on a car that is fast when you could spend half of that on a slow car? Speed and BIK are important factors.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,889 Posts
Id swap crazy speed for more range anytime. 0 to 60 in 9.5 secs, decent overtaking for 30 more miles range and I'm there thanks.
It’s easy, just learn to modulate the throttle.

In an EV you can have the best of both worlds. Does the ID.3 not come with an Eco mode?

·
EGGY
1,553 Posts
Yup

It’s easy, just learn to modulate the throttle.
Or in my case let the wife drive, she get's much better economy than me .... which for me proves the point that all this discussion on economy is a bit moot, your driving style / habits will have an influence

·
Registered
320 Posts
If a car has a maximum of 200 bhp, it just means that much power CAN be unleashed. If it's cruising at 70 mph, it's going to use about the same as a car of similar weight and drag coefficient.
I also agree with other comments about seemingly unnecessarily high EV horsepower figures. But if those numbers put more EVs on the roads, I'm all for it!

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
My tests so far have Ioniq 10% more economical than ID.3 .But you couldn't stick a 75 kWh battery on that chassis, even if there was space to fit one. ID.3 has a beefier chassis and wheels, so the 58 kWh one is arguably slightly over engineered in comparison.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My tests so far have Ioniq 10% more economical than ID.3 .But you couldn't stick a 75 kWh battery on that chassis, even if there was space to fit one. ID.3 has a beefier chassis and wheels, so the 58 kWh one is arguably slightly over engineered in comparison.
Would suspect it may vary depending on external temperatures? My thought is that the fraction of the load used for drivetrain reduces as temperature drops, and the relative importance of the cabin heating efficiency increases. . . Heatpump is a quite expensive option for id3. . . This might make efficiency gap increase as temperature drops??
I did read about your testing on the other thread, but can't remember all the details. Did you include the effect of cold weather in you musings?

·
Registered
100 Posts
A few days ago, just before our local lockdown, we did a 150 mile journey direct to return to Dundee from the West Coast. 150 miles from the charge, arrived with 32 % remaining, saying 85 miles to go on the GOM. Cross wind most of the way, mostly not on motorways. Heating on 18 deg, for the screen and using the heated seats. ID.3 Life with standard tyres and no heatpump.

Loving the ID.3. Did the same journey many times in our 24 kWh Leaf, so the ID.3 is a bit of winner. To go further, just reduce the heating use and reduce overall speed a touch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts