Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf 24KwH) and so far have just used it in London. I think the real life range is about 95 - 100 miles depending on weather.

I'm planning on taking it to Dorset for a week and this will be my first longer journey in the vehicle. Firstly, am I mad to attempt this journey?

Secondly, assuming I'm not totally unrealistic in doing this, are there any good places to charge on the M3? I'm thinking somewhere around Winchester but I'm making contingency plans about where to charge if I can't get there. I'm also factoring an extra 2 hours into my journey time to allow for charging time. I've got a raft of charging apps on my phone (ZapMap, BPpulse and Electric Highways (Ecotricity)). Is that enough?

Any tips/advice would be received gratefully.

Thanks

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Hi, I can’t comment on the Leaf specifically, but I’d also look at the ‘WattsApp’ app, and ‘A Better Route Planner’ to assist you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,904 Posts
Firstly, am I mad to attempt this journey?
No, it is perfectly possible and once you are down there it's an ideal car.
I think the real life range is about 95 - 100 miles depending on weather.
You'll not get anything like 100 miles out of a LEAF24 at 60, let alone any higher speeds. Factor in a maximum of 60 miles for the first charge and 50 for subsequent charges unless you are feeling lucky. ABRP is great for this, but make sure that you set a reasonable level of battery degradation if you don't know the actual figure.

ABRP suggests that Winchester is marginal depending on where you start in London - I guessed Marble Arch - and that you'd have to limit your speed to 47 MPH to achieve it which would be no fun on the M3 with the wagons doing 56+.

Personally I'd look to charge earlier unless you are starting South of the centre.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here’s my effort. I have used off route charging points, the one in Hook is 2 miles from me and never had any issues. I also have allowed for a plan B at every charge stop.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
No Chance a Leaf 24 will go 90 miles at higher speeds. Id charge every 60 ish. As peeps here have said, ABRP is your best bet.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I would plan on charging every 50 miles, but can do better in warm fine weather (but them my 24kWh Leaf is 8 years old and has seen some battery degradation). - a quick rule of thumb on a motorway when deciding whether to stop at the next services or go on to the following one is "do I have 2% SOC for every mile to the following services" - if not stop at the next services and charge up.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
903 Posts
Done this sort of trip many times, though not so pleasantly in the 24 as the 30. Drive for 45mins, charge for 30 mins. Cruise at ~60. Make sure you know IN ADVANCE how to connect to all the chargers you plan to use, and have the right card/app or whatever for each. Have a granny cable and a type 2 in the boot, and a long length waterproof heavy duty 15A mains extension lead.
Range is never the issue: time is. Leave early: finding and starting an unknown charger in the dark is not for beginners. Beware rain which ruins your range. Consider not using m-ways, driving more slowly but increasing your range.
Put your first planned stop into the satnav, and as you go along compare battery %ge and miles to destination so you can slow down/engage Eco/stop earlier than planned if things get tricky. When you arrive, put the next charger into the satnav and do the same. Have a plan B in case the charger you’re aiming for is broken, and keep enough range in hand to reach it. Never arrive with less than 10 miles of range.
If you get caught short, remember a quick squirt on a slow charger - or even a 13A socket - can be enough to get you to the next rapid. I never could get on with ABRP: try it, but you’ll do just as well with Google maps and Plugshare.
How about taking the A3 and charging at Liphook and Ringwood?

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Done this sort of trip many times, though not so pleasantly in the 24 as the 30. Drive for 45mins, charge for 30 mins. Cruise at ~60. Make sure you know IN ADVANCE how to connect to all the chargers you plan to use, and have the right card/app or whatever for each. Have a granny cable and a type 2 in the boot, and a long length waterproof heavy duty 15A mains extension lead.
Range is never the issue: time is. Leave early: finding and starting an unknown charger in the dark is not for beginners. Beware rain which ruins your range. Consider not using m-ways, driving more slowly but increasing your range.
Put your first planned stop into the satnav, and as you go along compare battery %ge and miles to destination so you can slow down/engage Eco/stop earlier than planned if things get tricky. When you arrive, put the next charger into the satnav and do the same. Have a plan B in case the charger you’re aiming for is broken, and keep enough range in hand to reach it. Never arrive with less than 10 miles of range.
If you get caught short, remember a quick squirt on a slow charger - or even a 13A socket - can be enough to get you to the next rapid. I never could get on with ABRP: try it, but you’ll do just as well with Google maps and Plugshare.
How about taking the A3 and charging at Liphook and Ringwood?
Massively helpful, thank you. I am a total novice so this is exactly the kind of advice I need.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
476 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf 24KwH) and so far have just used it in London. I think the real life range is about 95 - 100 miles depending on weather.

I'm planning on taking it to Dorset for a week and this will be my first longer journey in the vehicle. Firstly, am I mad to attempt this journey?

Secondly, assuming I'm not totally unrealistic in doing this, are there any good places to charge on the M3? I'm thinking somewhere around Winchester but I'm making contingency plans about where to charge if I can't get there. I'm also factoring an extra 2 hours into my journey time to allow for charging time. I've got a raft of charging apps on my phone (ZapMap, BPpulse and Electric Highways (Ecotricity)). Is that enough?

Any tips/advice would be received gratefully.

Thanks
Add these apps too... Podpoint Tesco and Sainsbury's for free 7 Kw charging also Lidl (cheap). Genipoint for Morrisons and East Hants local authority - Petersfield - and Osprey are breaking into this area too. Guildford is a bit of a desert but charging starts in Godalming down the A3 and it is a pleasant town to wander round.. cafe in Waitrose amongst other places. I believe Rownhams MSA is out of action, it is planned for a major upgrade later this year. The trick is to either have a book you can't put down or somewhere nice to stretch your legs. As has been said the M27 is being made Smart (or dangerous) between Portsmouth and Rownhams so there is a 50 mph limit. The charging situation is getting better by the day but as others say you do need a plan B.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts