Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, did my regular 175mile trip the other evening, temp at set off was 12c, dropped to 6c by the end.

It was A1 and M62, ACC set to 70mph all the way, which according to GPS gives me 69mph actual.

Weather was wet for the last 1/3rd of the journey, dark for half of it, very windy on the M62 think it was head/side on mostly, AC on all the way,

Hit a bit of congestion at times, nothing too bad though, set off with 97% battery and arrived with 10%, no charge stops.

Interestingly, and this is something Bjorn commented on, the trip meter seems to under read by about 4%. This doesn’t tally with the GPS speed, which was pretty accurate.

Anyway, if my maths is right, the above is about 3.5 miles per kWh.

This was my first ‘will it do it without trying‘ test, my e-Golf would probably have been similarly efficient, but my speed would have been a bit lower and of course theres the diversion/charge stop to add on to the journey time.

I‘m doing the journey the other way later, so will see what results I get then.

·
Registered
327 Posts
3 hours driving and still battery to spare, things have come on for VW and EV's since my 2013 e-Up. Looking at recent news reports it seems that public perception is lagging somewhat.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Return trip, 100% to 5%, getting cocky now! 🤣

Same route in reverse, dry weather, but temps a lot lower. Set off at 5c, arrived at 3.5c. Slightly higher average speed, ACC set at 70mph, heating/AC on, as was seat heating and heated steering wheel.

I make it 3.2 miles per kWh.

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
3.2mi/kWh doesn't sound very efficient with the average speed under 60mph.

This is my trip home Wednesday night in the e-Golf.
I'm not usually that efficient but I started slowly as the car wasn't fully charged but was driving faster as the journey went on and I realised I had plenty of charge left to get home.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,892 Posts
Love the confusion of the mixed units with miles per hour and kWh/100km on the same screen. :rolleyes: Impressive real world performance though. 👍

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3.2mi/kWh doesn't sound very efficient with the average speed under 60mph.

This is my trip home Wednesday night in the e-Golf.
I'm not usually that efficient but I started slowly as the car wasn't fully charged but was driving faster as the journey went on and I realised I had plenty of charge left to get home.
Yep, the e-Golf is an efficient EV, so not surprised you got those results.

I’m sure I could do better than the ACC to be fair, which was engaged the whole trip. It does seem to accelerate more quickly to the set speed than I would.

I also did a fair bit of momentary heavy right foot to get myself past slightly slower traffic and not hold up faster vehicles.

I think by setting my max speed a little lower, selecting Eco mode, setting cabin temp lower and driving myself it will easily do 200+ miles, even in poor weather. The average speed probably wouldn’t be much different either.

These first trips have been ‘will it do it’ whilst driving normally, by ICE standards at any rate, I’ll try some economy runs next.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I wonder how much having a heated seat on for 3 hours took from your range?

In my e-Golf if I'm wanting to make the most of the range and time isn't too much of an issue I'll knock the ACC down to 65mph, those 5mph seem to make a lot off difference. I have a 180 mile trip up to the lakes to see my parents. Hoping I'll be able to do it without a stop once I've got an ID.3.

As someone who never driven an ID.3, is it setup to roll with no resistance like the e-Golf? I've become very use to it and getting in cars that have some braking when you lift off always take a bit of getting used to.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

In my e-Golf if I'm wanting to make the most of the range and time isn't too much of an issue I'll knock the ACC down to 65mph, those 5mph seem to make a lot off difference. I have a 180 mile trip up to the lakes to see my parents. Hoping I'll be able to do it without a stop once I've got an ID.3.

As someone who never driven an ID.3, is it setup to roll with no resistance like the e-Golf? I've become very use to it and getting in cars that have some braking when you lift off always take a bit of getting used to.
It’ll do the 180 miles I would think, unless the weather is extreme!

Default regen on the ID.3 is the same as your e-Golf, D and it will coast. Also like the e-Golf though, it will still regen when slowing for junctions and roundabouts even in D.

I’m not sure how much energy the seat and wheel took, not much in the grand scheme of things is my guess.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
It’ll do the 180 miles I would think, unless the weather is extreme!

Default regen on the ID.3 is the same as your e-Golf, D and it will coast. Also like the e-Golf though, it will still regen when slowing for junctions and roundabouts even in D.

I’m not sure how much energy the seat and wheel took, not much in the grand scheme of things is my guess.
When I did a test drive, I noticed that when you put it in Eco it applied more regenerative braking, but it didn't do it in Comfort. I'd probably create my own version of Eco without the regen so it coasts if possible.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,134 Posts

50W on high would be a high estimate from what I've seen on other cars.

3hrs ~0.15kWh ~0.5 Miles ?

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,629 Posts
Why not while driving see what mileage remains on the journey, switch on first the heated seat/s and then the steering wheel heating and see how much the remaining mileage change.

That would give some idea of how much those two items effect the mileage.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
For half a mile keeping warm would be my pick over finding out how much electric it uses. Seems like a better way to stay warm the blasting the air heating.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
Why not while driving see what mileage remains on the journey, switch on first the heated seat/s and then the steering wheel heating and see how much the remaining mileage change.

That would give some idea of how much those two items effect the mileage.
Heated seats are very efficient. Someone said; imagine you are sitting on a old-style 60W light bulb. You would definitely feel it! Heating the air in the whole cabin or even just around the driver takes much more energy.

I'm really looking forward to the heated steering wheel. I've often wanted one in the e-Golf.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heated seats are very efficient. Someone said; imagine you are sitting on a old-style 60W light bulb. You would definitely feel it! Heating the air in the whole cabin or even just around the driver takes much more energy.

I'm really looking forward to the heated steering wheel. I've often wanted one in the e-Golf.
I like heated anything really, and the wheel is nice.

I first tried one a few years back in a Swedish hire car, never thought it was a thing before then, but really comfortable first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,513 Posts
... I have a 180 mile trip up to the lakes to see my parents. Hoping I'll be able to do it without a stop once I've got an ID.3.
I wonder if you do the trip without stopping for a comfort break? That is what 3 - 3.5hr drive?

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I wonder if you do the trip without stopping for a comfort break? That is what 3 - 3.5hr drive?
That is a good point, I usually need to have a stop anyway. But then it's the difference between a 5 minute stop and a 30-40 minute one. Need to find those 100Kwh chargers on the M6 to make the most of a quick stop.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,677 Posts
That is a good point, I usually need to have a stop anyway. But then it's the difference between a 5 minute stop and a 30-40 minute one. Need to find those 100Kwh chargers on the M6 to make the most of a quick stop.
As you know from driving a VW, it will start beeping at you to have a break if you drive for more than about 2 hours anyway.

I don't do many long trips, but by the time I've plugged the car in, given it a few minutes to check it's charging OK, gone to the loo, bought a drink and snack, eaten it, checked my phone for messages, that's at least 20 minutes anyway. That's a decent charge at 50-100kW.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,513 Posts
Sorry, did not mean to sound like that, I was just wondering. To me 3h is just too long. And if I have my parents with me, I have to stop almost every hour.... so I can see my future. :eek:

I have a "not so regular anymore" 150 miles-one-way trip, which I used to do almost monthly. I used to do it in an ICE, then PHEV, and now BEV. I still stop at the half-way mark, for a quick break.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts