Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
You can be sure salesmen will often not be pointing out the pitfalls of EVs in winter as they are trying to make a sale based on the 260 mile quoted range of an ID.3, for example...
My GTE saleman was so honest about the car that I'm surprised that he ever sells anything. The key highlights from the initial contact were assume that the EV range is half of what they advertise, assume 35-40mpg with a flat battery and assume that the VW app will never work. Which might be why I'm very happy with the car... wonder if he is like that when selling EVs too...

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
My GTE saleman was so honest about the car that I'm surprised that he ever sells anything. The key highlights from the initial contact were assume that the EV range is half of what they advertise, assume 35-40mpg with a flat battery and assume that the VW app will never work. Which might be why I'm very happy with the car... wonder if he is like that when selling EVs too...
A psychologist, that one!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Looks like I may have to order the tyres & TPMS separately, and rims from VW, & get a local fitter to assemble.
Does the ID.3 have a valve based TPMS system? I thought it was the ABS Sensor based ones like most VWs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Really happy with the extra range on the ID.3 compared with the e-Golf having done my first "longer" trip. Did a 100 mile round trip yesterday to meet some family for a dog walk followed by a rather cold drink and substantial meal in a pub garden in the dark.

I set off with the car charged to 80%. Around 90% of the journey was motorway and I just drove without worrying about speed, heating on and got back with 40 miles of range left. Was so nice to not have to have the car fully charged, worry about speed, not have the heater on etc.

The efficiency was only about 2.8mi/kwh which is obviously pretty terrible, but I wasn't aiming for efficiency in any way on the trip.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Honest selling can be remarkably effective.

Not cars, but as a student I had a holiday job in tourism. My supervisor was a through and through salesman. I wasn't. We had many discussions about the most effective way to sell stuff. So one week when we were working the same hours and were short staffed, so both mainly doing front counter work, we decided to keep track of who had most boat trip sales. They were a popular item that was often a "sales" purchase rather than something people came in specifically to buy. I had marginally more sales, although I'd argue not enough to be significant, but far fewer folk "going away to think about it" who often never came back. The only difference was my supervisor sounded like he came straight out of the brochure whereas I explained plainly where you went, what you could expect to see or not see and the differences between the different trips.

About halfway through the week we owned up to one of the boat owners what we were up to when he came into the office at the end of the day as we were, slightly competitively, tallying up our sales numbers. He found it absolutely hilarious because he knew me as someone who generally doesn't have a competitive bone in my body. So he decided to ask his customers what they thought of us, since he could tell from the tickets who had sold them. Generally my understated, "factual" approach was preferred with the customers saying they trusted what I was saying more than the "sales spiel" and had felt much less pressured. Apparently on one trip it triggered quite the discussion among the passengers 😳

Generally, an open honest salesperson is far more likely to keep my attention and get the sale than someone who goes in for the "hard sell." I just sold the way I liked to be sold to. And it worked just fine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They’re these ones, size 80.

Silknet Snow Socks - Size 80 -... Silknet Snow Socks - Size 80 - Awarded 'Which Best Buy' - Universal To Fit 265/35 R19, 245/35 R20, 245/35 R21 and More: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

They pack down very small, they’d probably fit in the little cubby below the floor.

I have mine hanging on one of the curry hooks in the supplied bag, they come with a pair of gloves as well. Very quick to fit, and easy to take off as well.
I think I'll get a pair of these. The 19" wheels on the ID.3 are 215/50R19 and it looks like sizes 70 & 80 are listed for that wheel size. How was the fitting on the ID.3? Good fit, bit loose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think I'll get a pair of these. The 19" wheels on the ID.3 are 215/50R19 and it looks like sizes 70 & 80 are listed for that wheel size. How was the fitting on the ID.3? Good fit, bit loose?

Thanks!
Also, any good tips on fitting the socks?
Can you just do the rear wheels?.

·
Premium Member
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·

Thanks!
They’re an excellent fit, I looked on the snow socks website and saw what they recommended for the ID.3, then looked what wheel/tyre sizes those socks fitted, as there’s no direct match on the Silknet sizing.

The size I linked to covers a few other wheel and tyre combinations too.

Also, any good tips on fitting the socks?
Can you just do the rear wheels?.
You only need them on the rears (the driven wheels).

You fit them by fitting over the top of the tyre underneath the arch, pull the elastic round as far down as you can, same for the other wheel, then drive your car forward half a wheel and fit what was the bottom half.

They self centre/adjust once you’re on the move, taking them off is just pull one of the straps and remove as much as you can, then drive forward again and pick them up.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Practice before you have to fit them on the side of the road. They Ones I used on an old car were quite a tight fit. Keep a decent pair of gloves with them and probably a head torch, when you do it for real everything will be wet, dirty and cold and probably dark. With practice it only takes a couple of minutes per tyre and there's non of that faff you have with sorting out chains before fitting them.

Does anyone know if they are now legal on UK roads, they weren't a few years ago. They don't wear much on Snow but bare roads are a different matter.

·
Premium Member
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Does anyone know if they are now legal on UK roads, they weren't a few years ago. They don't wear much on Snow but bare roads are a different matter.
The RAC website says they’re fully legal on U.K. roads, it’s snow chains that aren’t if you’re damaging the road surface, but otherwise even they’re legal on snow covered roads.

Snow socks were approved for use in Alpine regions earlier this year as well.

For occasional use, and to cope with the here today gone tomorrow type snow we get in most of the U.K., they’re a good solution I think.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Today turned into my first real test of economy and range after my wifes train got cancelled resulting in a 110 mile round trip this morning followed by a 75 round trip that I had already planned to pickup some presents.

And, I'm mega impressed that I made the whole lot without a charge at this time of the year. Averaged 3.0m/kWh was down to 5% at the end with 11 miles was seriously considering a quick charge about 20 miles from home but pushed on and glad I did. A bit of rain not mega cold but only 6-7c tops. Heating on driving a bit heavy footed if anything to get my wife to work on time.

Got home and went to a nearby rapid just to test out as I've not used a rapid with it yet. Really nice to get 49.8kW charge rate (170 miles per hour!) Just stayed for a few minutes so I've got plenty for a few quick trips tonight.

I found the GPS is quite buggy. There was a lot of road works and closed motorways so I tried selecting alternate routes but it'll always just go to the route it first selected. But did a good job of suggesting chargers on the way home and I was getting low.

·
Registered
ID3 Pro Performance Business
38 Posts
Today turned into my first real test of economy and range after my wifes train got cancelled resulting in a 110 mile round trip this morning followed by a 75 round trip that I had already planned to pickup some presents.

And, I'm mega impressed that I made the whole lot without a charge at this time of the year. Averaged 3.0m/kWh was down to 5% at the end with 11 miles was seriously considering a quick charge about 20 miles from home but pushed on and glad I did. A bit of rain not mega cold but only 6-7c tops. Heating on driving a bit heavy footed if anything to get my wife to work on time.

Got home and went to a nearby rapid just to test out as I've not used a rapid with it yet. Really nice to get 49.8kW charge rate (170 miles per hour!) Just stayed for a few minutes so I've got plenty for a few quick trips tonight.

I found the GPS is quite buggy. There was a lot of road works and closed motorways so I tried selecting alternate routes but it'll always just go to the route it first selected. But did a good job of suggesting chargers on the way home and I was getting low.
Thanks for this. Very impressed you can get around 200miles at this time of year without thinking too much about it

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts

Are you saying you drove 185 miles at 3mi/kWh average with 11 miles left before you went to the rapid?

That's not possible from 58kWh.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
It wasn't an exact number I did the journey in a serveral parts and noticed it was over 3kWh/mile every time I looked at it.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
185 miles + 11 over = 196 max. 100% SOC for that at 58 kWh/100% SOC gives 3.38 miles/kWh. Based on my 70 mph in wet = 3 m/kWh, I'm pepared to predict? postdict? that
a) either it wasn't a wet trip, or
b) it was wet but you kept the speed down to more like 60 mph cruising? or
c) a large proportion was non-motorway at 40-60 speeds and it may have been wet as well.

Go on, spill the beans! You hypermiled an HGV ? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Mainly option C officer. The M6 was closed so pretty much all A roads. 1 or 2 little showers but nothing massive.
Come on Phlashman, there are two things this forum won’t tolerate, and that’s inaccuracy...

You should know by now that miles per kWh figures must be to the nearest four decimal places, and independently verified by a UN committee.

Please do not share your anecdotal evidence otherwise forum privileges will be removed and extra meds prescribed. 👍

·
Registered
ID3 1st & e-Golf
5,849 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem but I was just checking if it was possible to drive 185 miles on the dual carriageway without driving very slowly.
The numbers don't add up so I wondered where the stretch was.
185 is a very useful amount for me as my regular run is 90 miles each way, all on dual carriageway. 185 would make it possible without a charge.

61 - 80 of 110 Posts