Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem but I was just checking if it was possible to drive 185 miles on the dual carriageway without driving very slowly.
The numbers don't add up so I wondered where the stretch was.
185 is a very useful amount for me as my regular run is 90 miles each way, all on dual carriageway. 185 would make it possible without a charge.
It will be fine, even in the cold and wet, and in the summer you’ll be laughing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have reason to believe the miles/kWh statistic in our new ID.3 Life is not calculating correctly. I suspect this may be happening here too.

The ID.3 may be more efficient than we are led to believe. For VW that might be quite a noticeable achievement.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem but I was just checking if it was possible to drive 185 miles on the dual carriageway without driving very slowly.
185 is a very useful amount for me as my regular run is 90 miles each way, all on dual carriageway. 185 would make it possible without a charge.
You won't have a problem with that IMO. Lock the ACC on 70mph and you'll be fine. The only time it'll be close is these few cold months AND there's another mitigating factor like heavy rain/strong wind.

I've actually been quite impressed by it's energy use at 70mph compared to my old e-Golf. I'll try and get some more (accurate) info about it. :)

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
...I went to a 350kW Ionity charger, and I was the only vehicle there. I arrived with 40%, cold battery, and charged to 50% as a test. I only saw 37kW. I was a bit disappointed.
Just going through this thread again, may heve been answered since ...
There's another thread in here with lots of charging rate graphs etc in. 37 kW is completely consistent with their results; if the battery is cold, the car will Coldgate. They got the fast 100 kW charging rate by driving at 120 kph I think it was, for about 15-20 mins, timed so they arrived at next Rapid immediately after this. That got their battery up from around 5C or whatever, into the 25C region, and this makes all the difference. So for us here in UK, in winter, I think we need to crank the speed right up towards max legal for 10-15 mins before arriving at a Rapid, if you want to see a nice high charging rate once you're there.

I remember our Chemistry teacher saying that chemical reations double the rate for every 10C increase. This looks very like what's going on here, those Ions have to split into Lithium deposited or whatever they're up to, but I think it's still chemistry in there at heart ...

The guys doing this analysis suggested it would be good if VW implemented what Tesla do, pre-warming the battery when they know there's a Rapid scheduled soon. But you can do this yourself by hammering it for a bit! :D

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,678 Posts
Just going through this thread again, may heve been answered since ...
There's another thread in here with lots of charging rate graphs etc in. 37 kW is completely consistent with their results; if the battery is cold, the car will Coldgate. They got the fast 100 kW charging rate by driving at 120 kph I think it was, for about 15-20 mins, timed so they arrived at next Rapid immediately after this. That got their battery up from around 5C or whatever, into the 25C region, and this makes all the difference. So for us here in UK, in winter, I think we need to crank the speed right up towards max legal for 10-15 mins before arriving at a Rapid, if you want to see a nice high charging rate once you're there.

I remember our Chemistry teacher saying that chemical reations double the rate for every 10C increase. This looks very like what's going on here, those Ions have to split into Lithium deposited or whatever they're up to, but I think it's still chemistry in there at heart ...

The guys doing this analysis suggested it would be good if VW implemented what Tesla do, pre-warming the battery when they know there's a Rapid scheduled soon. But you can do this yourself by hammering it for a bit! :D
Honestly officer, I was just warming my battery.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
I think the 37kW is an Ionity thing, I moved my car to a rapid one morning last week, only 7 or so miles if that, it was on 20% charge and cold.

I was getting 50kW from the get go, which was the max speed of the charger.

I’m not saying the battery temp isn’t a factor, but 37kW seems low even for a cold battery if it wasn’t in a high state of charge.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I've hot two rapids now when at sub 15% soc and both maxed out at ~5OkWh within a few seconds of the start of charge and both time were within a couple of minutes of me setting off after the car has been sat still for at least an hour so doubt it had any serious heat level.

Just about to have 12 x 350 kWh and 2 x 150kWh chargers go live the other side of town in Jan. So might go see how they behave at different socs.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I've hot two rapids now when at sub 15% soc and both maxed out at ~5OkWh within a few seconds of the start of charge and both time were within a couple of minutes of me setting off after the car has been sat still for at least an hour so doubt it had any serious heat level.

Just about to have 12 x 350 kWh and 2 x 150kWh chargers go live the other side of town in Jan. So might go see how they behave at different socs.
It’ll be fine, the ID.3 has a low stress rapid charging setup, even at 100kW charge rate it’s only 1.6S.

In the scenario where you set off fully charged, drive for 150+ miles then rapid charge, like I’ve done a couple of times now, you should see 100kW on a suitable correctly operating charger.

Owners probably won’t get that from cold which might be more of a problem if that’s your only means of charging the car, ie no home charging, but then I don’t think that’s a wise long term strategy anyway.

If anybody isn’t seeing the expected charge rates, then it’s far more likely due to the vagaries of whatever charger it’s connected to rather than any flaws in the cars charging system, which seems to be good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the 37kW is an Ionity thing, I moved my car to a rapid one morning last week, only 7 or so miles if that, it was on 20% charge and cold.

I was getting 50kW from the get go, which was the max speed of the charger.

I’m not saying the battery temp isn’t a factor, but 37kW seems low even for a cold battery if it wasn’t in a high state of charge.
I'm agree with you. I read many times and saw on YouTube this coldgate problem but no experience in my ID3. I used 3 times times 50kW charger from local company in Iceland and it was always around 50kW constantly. Yesterday I charged at 1⁰C, 800m away from my home after 16h stop. From 46% to 80% and speed was +45kW for whole time.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
I'm agree with you. I read many times and saw on YouTube this coldgate problem but no experience in my ID3. I used 3 times times 50kW charger from local company in Iceland and it was always around 50kW constantly. Yesterday I charged at 1⁰C, 800m away from my home after 16h stop. From 46% to 80% and speed was +45kW for whole time.
Dude, just FYI. Driving an ID.3 in your country makes me very jealous. Been to Iceland many times and having a bear in a hot pot whilst it's snowing is my happy place. You're a very lucky man. Wish I could move there, unfortunately my country is insane.

What's the charging infrastructure like outside of Reykjavik? Could you do the ring road in an ID.3?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dude, just FYI. Driving an ID.3 in your country makes me very jealous. Been to Iceland many times and having a bear in a hot pot whilst it's snowing is my happy place. You're a very lucky man. Wish I could move there, unfortunately my country is insane.

What's the charging infrastructure like outside of Reykjavik? Could you do the ring road in an ID.3?
Hi. You can go round Iceland with ID3 easly. Every 50-70km you have 50kW charger. Now first three 150 kW were added outside capital area.
Interesting fact Icelandairs are crazy about EV: since September 107 ID3 were registerd and population is 350.000- comparing with 66mln UK population make +18.000 cars in 3 moths - 200car per day.. 🤯 cannot image number of ID4 which suit better to this country.
Its a matter o 10-15 years when ICE ( oh:)) cars will be wanish from ICEland

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0783)
242 Posts
Excellent, were planning to go to Iceland last summer until well... so as soon as we can we're hoping to go back and do a driving holiday. Just know I'm insanely jealous of you.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Both locations looks fantastic! Were those green number plates put on your cars when you bought them or have you put them on since? Mine just came with a normal one!
Mine originally came on normal ones, but I swapped them out for the green flash ones ‘just because’.

Just because meaning I’m probably a virtue signaller or something…

·
Registered
530 Posts
Mine originally came on normal ones, but I swapped them out for the green flash ones ‘just because’.

Just because meaning I’m probably a virtue signaller or something…
Our 2 ID3s came on green plates, probably depends on the dealership group.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Life Pro Performance
162 Posts
Both locations looks fantastic! Were those green number plates put on your cars when you bought them or have you put them on since? Mine just came with a normal one!
👍😀 mine came with le green stripes newly registered, I only picked mine up on Monday. 😍😛

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
Our 2 ID3s came on green plates, probably depends on the dealership group.
In my case it was because I got my car last November, and before green plates were a ‘thing’!

In fairness, the dealer offered to fit them when it went in for the 2.1 software update, but I already had them by then.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my case it was because I got my car last November, and before green plates were a ‘thing’!

In fairness, the dealer offered to fit them when it went in for the 2.1 software update, but I already had them by then.
That explains it then as I got mine at the end of October.

I probably won't bother swapping them unless any of the proposed benefits pop up around my area.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts